Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TEAM BUILDING WIN TODAY . . . on the road, vs bad calls
Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
Anyone questioning Cousins' worth after this game should turn in their fan card. Guy was getting blasted all game and still stood tall in the pocket and delivered a perfect long ball to JJ when we desperately needed it. He again put that ball where only Cook could catch it in the end zone for the tie. Stone cold.
His accuracy is just on another level compared to most QBs. The throw last week to KJO, the JJ TD yesterday, the JJ go route, the Dalvin TD. We take these kind of throws for granted, but we shouldn't. 

My God, though, my kingdom for just a little bit better protection! The line isn't bad, but they're not seeing stunts and they're not picking up blitzes. Give Cousins the kind of time Heinicke had most of the game and this O will put up 40. 

Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
@JR44 said:
I have never seen an official so out of place, especially on a deep ball, I don't understand how he ends up right in the middle of the play, seems like he was watching the flight of the ball and not the direction of the players.  I am sure he was embarrassed and felt awful about it and I did feel bad for him.  I have seen officials cost a team points with a bad call, but never seen an official directly cost a team a 7 points like that.   You would have thought the official would have tried to make up for that some, but they continued to be one sided. 
I don't know wtf that official was doing there - except that it almost looked like he was sizing Cam up and delivered a perfect form tackle to take him out of the play.
Those refs really stick together too.  Not one of the other refs would dare to throw the flag on one of their own for an obvious PI call.  Bynam couldn't believe it!  Confused

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@mgobluevikes said:
Anyone questioning Cousins' worth after this game should turn in their fan card. Guy was getting blasted all game and still stood tall in the pocket and delivered a perfect long ball to JJ when we desperately needed it. He again put that ball where only Cook could catch it in the end zone for the tie. Stone cold.
His accuracy is just on another level compared to most QBs. The throw last week to KJO, the JJ TD yesterday, the JJ go route, the Dalvin TD. We take these kind of throws for granted, but we shouldn't. 

My God, though, my kingdom for just a little bit better protection! The line isn't bad, but they're not seeing stunts and they're not picking up blitzes. Give Cousins the kind of time Heinicke had most of the game and this O will put up 40. 
Agreed, the IOL needs some luvin this off-season.

Was hoping Ingram + Bradbury improvement would be the elixir for what ails, but it aint. 

Back to the OP title

I agree that this is a team building win and the best one since the Packer victory.  Being down 10 in the 4th quarter after having the better team performance was a gut check and they passed it.

Washington's DL was all world today without Chase young and Kirk was abused and he hung tough and delivered when most needed.  The catch by Cook should also be highlighted because even though accurate many RBs would not have caught that.  

Anyway, we made the plays on "all" sides of the ball including coaching to snatch that victory from defeat.

Edit/add - let me add that we continue to not beat ourselves which has been a trademark so far under KOC.  We only had 5 penalties and the 1 turnover which was basically an end of half hail mary to JJ who had a chance.  JJ didnt catch many of those 50/50 balls yesterday but credit to the DB from Minnesota he played very well against him

I think that win gives us full confidence that we can win in Buffalo who has been slumping.

This team, week after week is continuing to gel.  Their 4th quarter point differential is 2nd best in the league so they know how to close.  I think it only gets better (outside of injuries) regarding gameplans and effectiveness.  We saw how scary this offense can look with a real TE threat.  They are starting believe a little more every week and I love the shot that Kirk took to JJ to end the half (should have been PI).  They are playing with more confidence in each other and trust, that will pay off.  

We are seeing the DL get a lot of pressure without blitzing from various angles.  Guys like Wonnum and Jones are playing solid football in relief of Danielle and Z.  Danielle has his hand in the dirt more than earlier in the season and its paying off.

It seems the gaps in the zone are getting smaller, the corners are in a better position, the safeties are making plays.  Kendricks is starting to look more comfortable in his position as well.  The defense gave up 10 yesterday to a squirrelly QB, a lot of weapons, on the road.  9 out of 10 times Bynum picks off that Hail Mary.

Next week will be tough but I don't think it's a lock we lose, it really will come down to how well can we run the ball vs their defense.  If we can run it well, we keep them off the field and slow down that pass rush.  If we don't, we will lose.  Regardless of the potential L next week, this team can play and is a contender in the NFC this year with a chance to get better as the year rolls on.  

Quote: @Skodin said:
This team, week after week is continuing to gel.  Their 4th quarter point differential is 2nd best in the league so they know how to close. 
I can't get over how the '22 Vikings are the complete opposite of the '21 Vikings. Pert'near the exact same team, with one big difference: the thing we struggled with so much last year is the thing we excel at this year. 

@Skodin said:
This team, week after week is continuing to gel.  Their 4th quarter point differential is 2nd best in the league so they know how to close. 
I can't get over how the '22 Vikings are the complete opposite of the '21 Vikings. Pert'near the exact same team, with one big difference: the thing we struggled with so much last year is the thing we excel at this year. 

[Image: fb8669ca0750975f6979708eeb6c5c8a-seinfel...quotes.jpg]

@Skodin said:
Not to nitpick but we have new schemes and 7 new starting Defensive players so it is not near the same team at least IMO.  

Quote: @minny65 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Skodin said:
Not to nitpick but we have new schemes and 7 new starting Defensive players so it is not near the same team at least IMO.  
The core of this team is exactly the same. It's Cousins, Dalvin, JJ, Adam, the OL, Hunter, Tomlinson, Kendricks, Harry, Pat, etc, etc. Sure we added some pieces like we do every year--Woods, Pierce and Vigil became Sullivan, Phillips and Hicks--but the only meaningful additions were Z, and now Hockenson.

The bottom line is that we did NOT rebuild. And for a very good reason. Because they were smart enough to recognize that the biggest problem wasn't talent on the roster. It was situational football. It was Mike Zimmer. 

Quote: @minny65 said:
Back to the OP title

I agree that this is a team building win and the best one since the Packer victory.  Being down 10 in the 4th quarter after having the better team performance was a gut check and they passed it.

Washington's DL was all world today without Chase young and Kirk was abused and he hung tough and delivered when most needed.  The catch by Cook should also be highlighted because even though accurate many RBs would not have caught that.  

Anyway, we made the plays on "all" sides of the ball including coaching to snatch that victory from defeat.

Edit/add - let me add that we continue to not beat ourselves which has been a trademark so far under KOC.  We only had 5 penalties and the 1 turnover which was basically an end of half hail mary to JJ who had a chance.  JJ didnt catch many of those 50/50 balls yesterday but credit to the DB from Minnesota he played very well against him

I think that win gives us full confidence that we can win in Buffalo who has been slumping.
JJ was completely mugged on that end of half pass.  In NO WAY is that not DPI.  Corner did NOT even LOOK back at the ball and had BOTH hands on JJ's arms and his facemask in his chest before the ball got there.  TERRIBLE no call.   That CB was constantly interfering, holding, illegal contact on JJ and only called once for it.