Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roughing the passer
Quote: @HappyViking said:
@rf54 said:
as pointed out above these rules only apply to certain QBs, how manytimes has Kirk been hit in the helmet this year?
Did anyone see the roughing call on Carr last night?  That one was total BS, but I would have a hard time believing Carr would be on any secret "QB Protection List".  That crap call negated a perfect strip sack and should've been KCs ball right there.
Should carr even be considered the passer when he fumbled the ball and he’s just a player at that point?

Lets just make QBs down by two hand touch behind the line if this is what we’re going to call. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
Lets just make QBs down by two hand touch behind the line if this is what we’re going to call. 
Seems to be heading that way doesn't it?

The "Bodyweight Rule" came about as a result of Barr's sack of AR that put him out for the season. The NFL dislikes their star QBs missing the majority of the season.

Given the emphasis on protecting the star QBs & in light of the Tua injury, I don't see this rule being relaxed. Up until the 2020 season, PI penalties could be reviewed by challenge. It was changed because it broke up the flow of the game.  Maybe Roughing the Passer should be subject to review. There's so few Roughing the Passer penalties each game that the flow will be unaffected.

Quote: @Knucklehead said:
The "Bodyweight Rule" came about as a result of Barr's sack of AR that put him out for the season. The NFL dislikes their star QBs missing the majority of the season.

Given the emphasis on protecting the star QBs & in light of the Tua injury, I don't see this rule being relaxed. Up until the 2020 season, PI penalties could be reviewed by challenge. It was changed because it broke up the flow of the game.  Maybe Roughing the Passer should be subject to review. There's so few Roughing the Passer penalties each game that the flow will be unaffected.
the body weight rule is the reason we are seeing the defenders tossing the QBs to the ground instead of conventional tackle where you body weight may land on the QB depending on how he reacts to being tackled.

time to take the dresses of the QBs and make them be football players.

It's illegal to tackle them low. It's illegal to tackle them high. It's illegal to touch their head or facemask. It's illegal to fall on them. It's pretty much illegal to tackle them. They are granted better protection than Trojan condoms!

My question on the Carr sack is that the defender had already knocked the ball out and had possession prior to his committing what would be a roughing the passer by the "Rodgers" rule.  Carr was no longer the passer at that point.  Shouldn't that negate the call?

Quote: @badgervike said:
My question on the Carr sack is that the defender had already knocked the ball out and had possession prior to his committing what would be a roughing the passer by the "Rodgers" rule.  Carr was no longer the passer at that point.  Shouldn't that negate the call?
but there are still those rules that prevent targeting a QB after things like interceptions,  IMO, if they are on the field and are on their feet... they get treated like any other player.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@HappyViking said:
@rf54 said:
as pointed out above these rules only apply to certain QBs, how manytimes has Kirk been hit in the helmet this year?
Did anyone see the roughing call on Carr last night?  That one was total BS, but I would have a hard time believing Carr would be on any secret "QB Protection List".  That crap call negated a perfect strip sack and should've been KCs ball right there.
Should carr even be considered the passer when he fumbled the ball and he’s just a player at that point?
Very good question...

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@AGRforever said:
@HappyViking said:
@rf54 said:
Very good question...
I don't think he should be at that point. But the league is going to protect the franchise investments, right or wrong.