Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Detroit is going to be a tough game
Quote: @HappyViking said:
@ThunderGod said:
I don’t know that I buy that the Vikings defense played better in the second half just because the Eagles didn’t score.  

We got the ball at the beginning of the second half and drove the field only to be intercepted and the Eagles then drove back down the field to get a field goal blocked.  By the time this had all occurred, the third quarter was nearing an end.  The forth quarter was full of turn overs.  I believe the Eagles were only forced to punt twice by our defense.

I did hear where the Vikings did make some defensive adjustments but we still remained in the shell coverage and played the bend don’t break defense that everyone loves.
I fully agree.  Kirk just got worse as the game went on and he seemed to give up in the 4th quarter by the way he was lobbing balls to a very covered JJ.
Yeah, the Eagles didn't score in the 2nd half, but I think they called off the dogs a bit because they didn't really need more points.  It looked like men vs boys the entire game including the 2nd half.
It's early, but I don't think this team is anywhere near a playoff caliber team.  Hopefully they can get better as the season progresses, but that MNF game looked very familiar to the Zimmer coached teams these past couple seasons.
Agree about Kirk. When he crumbles, he very seldom recovers. 

But saying the Vikings aren't "anywhere near" a playoff caliber team is just a little silly, dontcha think? It's funny how the narrative completely flips after a loss, one loss, against a very good Philly team playing in their home opener on Monday night. 

So if the Vikings aren't a playoff team, who is? I think we can say Philly probably is, if'n they stay healthy. The Rams have looked horrible, barely beating a Wentz-led Falcons team after getting blown out by the Bills. But yeah, I think they'll be there in the end, even though their fans are overreacting the way Viking fans are now. 49ers with Jimmy G? He looked good on Sunday, but it's still Jimmy G. Bucs? Probably. Packers, whom the Vikings blew out? You can bet they'll contend. Cards, Cowboys, Saints, Lions? Meh. 

Detroit game will tell us a lot. Goff or no, that is probably the best Lions team we've seen in a decade. Two maybe. They will challenge our defense. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@HappyViking said:
@ThunderGod said:
I don’t know that I buy that the Vikings defense played better in the second half just because the Eagles didn’t score.  

We got the ball at the beginning of the second half and drove the field only to be intercepted and the Eagles then drove back down the field to get a field goal blocked.  By the time this had all occurred, the third quarter was nearing an end.  The forth quarter was full of turn overs.  I believe the Eagles were only forced to punt twice by our defense.

I did hear where the Vikings did make some defensive adjustments but we still remained in the shell coverage and played the bend don’t break defense that everyone loves.
I fully agree.  Kirk just got worse as the game went on and he seemed to give up in the 4th quarter by the way he was lobbing balls to a very covered JJ.
Yeah, the Eagles didn't score in the 2nd half, but I think they called off the dogs a bit because they didn't really need more points.  It looked like men vs boys the entire game including the 2nd half.
It's early, but I don't think this team is anywhere near a playoff caliber team.  Hopefully they can get better as the season progresses, but that MNF game looked very familiar to the Zimmer coached teams these past couple seasons.

But saying the Vikings aren't "anywhere near" a playoff caliber team is just a little silly, dontcha think? It's funny how the narrative completely flips after a loss, one loss, against a very good Philly team playing in their home opener on Monday night

So if the Vikings aren't a playoff team, who is? I think we can say Philly probably is, if'n they stay healthy. The Rams have looked horrible, barely beating a Wentz-led Falcons team after getting blown out by the Bills. But yeah, I think they'll be there in the end, even though their fans are overreacting the way Viking fans are now. 49ers with Jimmy G? He looked good on Sunday, but it's still Jimmy G. Bucs? Probably. Packers, whom the Vikings blew out? You can bet they'll contend. Cards, Cowboys, Saints, Lions? Meh. 

Detroit game will tell us a lot. Goff or no, that is probably the best Lions team we've seen in a decade. Two maybe. They will challenge our defense. 
Ok, I'll give you that.  Each year a team or two "sneak" into the playoffs that really aren't any better than a few teams that didn't make it.  That's possible the Vikes sneak in with 9 wins, but it sucks how the Vikes got pounded by a Philly team that could barely beat a Detroit team that nobody respects.

The narritive "flips" for Philly too.  They crush the Vikings, and now everyone thinks of Philly as a top NFC team with serious SB considerations.  Before the Vikings game, they were considered tough, but probably very beatable even in Philly.

If things don't improve for the Vikes by week 4 or 5, I can't see them as a playoff team, and certainly not a "good" playoff team. 

I hope they can turn it around quickly.  It's been miserable watching this team the past 2 seasons.

@MaroonBells said:
@HappyViking said:
@ThunderGod said:

But saying the Vikings aren't "anywhere near" a playoff caliber team is just a little silly, dontcha think? It's funny how the narrative completely flips after a loss, one loss, against a very good Philly team playing in their home opener on Monday night

Ok, I'll give you that.  Each year a team or two "sneak" into the playoffs that really aren't any better than a few teams that didn't make it.  That's possible the Vikes sneak in with 9 wins, but it sucks how the Vikes got pounded by a Philly team that could barely beat a Detroit team that nobody respects.

The narritive "flips" for Philly too.  They crush the Vikings, and now everyone thinks of Philly as a top NFC team with serious SB considerations.  Before the Vikings game, they were considered tough, but probably very beatable even in Philly.

If things don't improve for the Vikes by week 4 or 5, I can't see them as a playoff team, and certainly not a "good" playoff team. 

I hope they can turn it around quickly.  It's been miserable watching this team the past 2 seasons.

It's the NFL. Every game is different and you can never say that one team is better than another based on how they played another team. It's all about game plans and matchups. For example, I guarantee you that if we play the Eagles again, it will be a different game. We may not win, but it will be different. As will our week 16 game against the Packers. 

I keep coming back to this but it's valid. Rams won the Super Bowl. Were they the best team? I don't think so, but they played well at the end of the year. In November, they were blown out by the 49ers, who were blown out by the Cardinals, who were blown out by the Panthers. I mean you can do this all day. 

MB, I've been a Viking fan for 48 years, so I'm certainly not expecting a SB appearance, let alone a SB win for this season. 
You keep bringing up the Rams like it's so unexpected they won a SB, but the Rams have been to the playoffs 4 of the past 5 seasons and have made it to the SB twice.  They're a very solid team loaded with talent everywhere.The Vikings on the other hand haven't been anywhere near that successful in the past 5 seasons.  I'll just be happy if they can beat a much improved Lions team, which I'm not very confident they will.  Detriot came very close to sweeping the Vikes last season.

MB, I've been a Viking fan for 48 years, so I'm certainly not expecting a SB appearance, let alone a SB win for this season. 
You keep bringing up the Rams like it's so unexpected they won a SB, but the Rams have been to the playoffs 4 of the past 5 seasons and have made it to the SB twice.  They're a very solid team loaded with talent everywhere.The Vikings on the other hand haven't been anywhere near that successful in the past 5 seasons.  I'll just be happy if they can beat a much improved Lions team, which I'm not very confident they will.  Detriot came very close to sweeping the Vikes last season.
Yep. Not sure I can disagree with anything here. 

Yeah, don't see the Rams comparison either. Just because KOC coached there doesn't make the Vikes a clone.

I also think the Vikes could struggle with the Lions Sunday.

No, no, no, Happy...you completely missed my point. But maybe I didn't articulate it very well. I'm not at all comparing the Vikings to the Rams, or any other team, in terms of talent. That's a different discussion. 

I'm just saying good teams lose now. All the time. Every damn year. And it really shouldn't cause the level of distress that it seems to, among Viking fans in particular. There hasn't been an unbeaten team in 50 years, and there's a reason for that. 

Forget the Rams. Tampa won the Super Bowl the year before. Earlier that year they lost to the friggin' Bears. And they were blown out by the Saints 38-3. At home! Imagine if we'd lost to the Eagles 38-3 at home. 

Sure, it's disappointing. It's frustrating. But history shows that losing ONE game, even getting blown out, doesn't necessarily portend doom for any team in today's NFL. 

@HappyViking said:
@purplefaithful said:
@HappyViking said:
Detroit almost beat Philly and ran all over them.  They've put up over 30pts in their first two games.  I wouldn't be surprised if we lose by 7 to 10 points.  That Monday night game showed a very soft Viking team that doesn't like getting punched in the nose, and I fully expect Detroit will come out swinging.

I have major concerns about the defense and I hate the game Donatell called Monday night. But I think we win at least 2 of the next 3...Vikings @ home is a vastly different team than on the road on MNF. 

We also just dont match-up well with an RPO and its not shameful to lose to a team that is probably top 4 in NFC in their house. 
I agree, but our offense couldn't run the ball one bit Monday night, and that caused a bunch of problems with Kirk and the passing game. 

Maybe the Philly game was a fluke, and the Vikes bounce back, but I don't trust them yet.  Was the Packer game a version of the "real" Vikes, or was it the MNF game?  Maybe both, but that's a huge contrast.
I won't be surprised if the Vikes win, but I won't be surprised if Detroit beats them by 10 either.
I think the Green Bay game is a little closer to who we are. The reason I say that is, despite the lopsided final score, the Vikings defense held the Eagles scoreless in the 2nd half while the offense made 3 trips to the red zone, which resulted in zero points.  
Ok even if it’s closer to who we are, that may not mean much yet. Green Bay had some key injuries. I know you play whoever is on the schedule whenever they are on the schedule but I do want them to win against good teams that are healthy too. Maybe they need to get their asses blasted to show there is work to do.

@HappyViking said:
No, no, no, Happy...you completely missed my point. But maybe I didn't articulate it very well. I'm not at all comparing the Vikings to the Rams, or any other team, in terms of talent. That's a different discussion. 

I'm just saying good teams lose now. All the time. Every damn year. And it really shouldn't cause the level of distress that it seems to, among Viking fans in particular. There hasn't been an unbeaten team in 50 years, and there's a reason for that. 

Forget the Rams. Tampa won the Super Bowl the year before. Earlier that year they lost to the friggin' Bears. And they were blown out by the Saints 38-3. At home! Imagine if we'd lost to the Eagles 38-3 at home. 

Sure, it's disappointing. It's frustrating. But history shows that losing ONE game, even getting blown out, doesn't necessarily portend doom for any team in today's NFL. 

True but us Viking fans are tired of being the “Monday Night Bitch” that everyone else gets to slap around in front of the large audience.  Smile

A loss Sunday and it will be mini-panic time in Minneapolis. I'm a Cousins fan, but he'll be 35 years old next year, wouldn't mind nabbing a QB high IF the team ends up being worse than we thought. 

Still plenty of football to be played. Not giving up.