Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guru Mock 2.0
Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
Spelly got very lucky trading down last year...

Viking nation would have been in flames if he wasn't able to land Darrisaw. 

I'll say this - if they move up for Stingley? Its because they have the best insights of any NFL team on him, right on their coaching staff. 

That said, am curious to see how this new team executes their 1st nfl draft. A trade-up would shock the heck out of me. IT hasn't been the Viking way very often. 
I'm curious too. This is his first time running a draft room. Rick was a master of maneuvering around a draft to optimize value. Moving up for players like Dalvin Cook, Harrison Smith, and Tyler Conklin, to name a few, and moving down when the value wasn't there. Darrisaw is a good example. But also moving down to take Gladney (who should still be on the team), a move that netted DJ Wonnum and KJ Osborne. Or the move down a couple times to take Alexander Mattison with the last pick on day two, because he was the target and there was no need to take him at our original slot. That netted traded assets, along with Oli Udoh. 

Love our new GM, but the fact that he was zero experience doing any of this has me a little concerned. 
I wouldn't be too concerned since there are enough tenured members of the FO/personnel staff to keep him honest. The questions I have are more methodical. Will they be a team that is ultra aggressive, will they truly be a BPA team, or will they manipulate the board to fill their needs? We may not even know until there are 2-3 drafts under his belt. 

The Browns and 49ers typically tend to stay put in round 1. Grigson did the same with the Colts. So I do wonder if that will kind of be their initial M.O. But anything is possible. 

I read a blurb somewhere that the Vikings haven't traded-up in the first round since 1987???

That netted them DJ Dozier btw...Maybe that's why it hasn't happened since?  :p

https://www.profootballarchives.com/1987nfldraft.html

Now if I remember right, Dozier was the pick when there was audible laughter heard in the draft room right after. Most thought it was someone laughing at the Dozier selection, but apparently what happened was that a team was so angry the Vikings took Dozier ahead of them, they slammed a fist and knocked their draft phone to the floor. A little draft history trivia no one needed. 

Too lazy to look up but we moved up into the end of the first round for Teddy, right?  I know not the same as moving up from a first rounder to go higher in the first round but, nevertheless.  

Quote: @minny65 said:
Too lazy to look up but we moved up into the end of the first round for Teddy, right?  I know not the same as moving up from a first rounder to go higher in the first round but, nevertheless.  
We did. Didnt we also move up to get Harrison Smith?

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@minny65 said:
Yea, that also sounds right - we moved back into the first.  Now I have to go look up Smile  

@AGRforever said:
@minny65 said:
Yea, that also sounds right - we moved back into the first.  Now I have to go look up Smile  
Yea Teddy was 32, and Harrison 29.  

@minny65 said:
@AGRforever said:
@minny65 said:
And IIRC Cordarrell Patterson as well.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@minny65 said:
@minny65 said:
@AGRforever said:
@minny65 said:
And IIRC Cordarrell Patterson as well.
Yup.  That was the big one in 2013.  Moved from 52 to 29. Think it took 52 plus a 3rd,4th and 7th.  Yikes!

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

I'll say this - if they move up for Stingley? Its because they have the best insights of any NFL team on him, right on their coaching staff. 

That said, am curious to see how this new team executes their 1st nfl draft. A trade-up would shock the heck out of me. IT hasn't been the Viking way very often. 
I'm curious too. This is his first time running a draft room. Rick was a master of maneuvering around a draft to optimize value. Moving up for players like Dalvin Cook, Harrison Smith, and Tyler Conklin, to name a few, and moving down when the value wasn't there. Darrisaw is a good example. But also moving down to take Gladney (who should still be on the team), a move that netted DJ Wonnum and KJ Osborne. Or the move down a couple times to take Alexander Mattison with the last pick on day two, because he was the target and there was no need to take him at our original slot. That netted traded assets, along with Oli Udoh. 

Love our new GM, but the fact that he was zero experience doing any of this has me a little concerned. 
I wouldn't be too concerned since there are enough tenured members of the FO/personnel staff to keep him honest. The questions I have are more methodical. Will they be a team that is ultra aggressive, will they truly be a BPA team, or will they manipulate the board to fill their needs? We may not even know until there are 2-3 drafts under his belt. 

The Browns and 49ers typically tend to stay put in round 1. Grigson did the same with the Colts. So I do wonder if that will kind of be their initial M.O. But anything is possible. 

Where were those tenured members when KAM was eating his own knee caps last night? 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

Where were those tenured members when KAM was eating his own knee caps last night? 
Yeah, not much oversight of KAM on that move. There's no way to look at that move from a comp standpoint that would show any other than the Vikings got taken. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

Yeah, not much oversight of KAM on that move. There's no way to look at that move from a comp standpoint that would show any other than the Vikings got taken. 
And yet, ESPN and other do identify that the vikings were on the positive end of the exchange. In terms of long range productivity in the slots that vikings gained a 1.1 advantage that is equivalent to 4th round slot.  

Also of note, it is very clear the Cine is the player the vikings wanted, yes, over Hamilton.