Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guru Mock 2.0
Six days out from showtime and its time for another mock. With teams now setting their draft boards and strategizing their plans a little bit more is coming into light regarding the Vikings and others teams plans. Here is a mock combining my own opinions along with some of what I am hearing. 

TRADE 1(9) via SEA - Derrick Stingley Jr. / CB LSU: While I don't necessarily believe the Vikings will prioritize moving up the board in the 1st round, they understand positional value their own needs, and the potential of both Sauce Gardner and Derrick Stingley. The Vikings end up biting the bullet moving 1(12), 3(77), and 6(184) for 1(9) and 4(109). This is basically equal to the trade chart and in a weak class you shouldn't need to pay a premium to move up. Stingley when healthy (his medicals are good to go) is an immediate starter at CB with the upside of a #1 CB capable of shadowing a teams best receiver in the NFL. On film there are not many players who play the ball better in the air and Stingley's 2019 and 2020 (when on the field) film is by the best of an CB in the past few years. The question is his consistency and ability to improve on in-breaking routes. With P2 as a mentor this is just a good situation for everyone and the Vikings add the talent they sorely are lacking on the outside. You need to bet on upside at premium positions and that is the right play here in my opinion.  

2(46) - Logan Hall / DE Houston: A personal favorite of mine, Hall seems to be graded highly in the eyes of NFL teams and may not end up making it to pick #46. Regardless, I think the Vikings are going to have an opportunity to grab a high-end pass rusher in this spot and are unlikely to move back. Hall is a front 4 disruptor and has the size to line up at 5T in the base defense. He is explosive and knows how to get after the QB. With NFL coaching he can even be better since he had a tendency to play high in college which should be correctable. Currently the Vikings lack explosiveness in their front-3 in the base. Hall brings a different element to the group and should be able to play regular snaps immediately. In the nickel he can easily line up at either DE spot or 3T. The flexibility there is an added bonus. 

4 (109) via SEA - Calvin Austin III / WR Memphis: If the 1st round falls a bit differently I could envision the Vikings considering a WR early, but this value just feels a bit better. The Vikings WR room is already in good shape with Jefferson, Thielen, and Osbourne holding down 11 personnel. They also still think highly of ISM as a depth player and deep threat. What they lack is a gadget player who can succeed with manufactured touches. Austin is a small yet explosive player who still has the ability to line up around the field. The Rams liked to challenge defenses horizontally and using a player like Austin on end-arounds, mesh concepts, and crossers brings a new element to the group. Think of recent Rams pick Tutu Atwell. Austin also can slot in at PR which will allow Osbourne to focus on being the primary slot receiver. 

5 (156) - DeAngelo Malone / EDGE Western Kentucky: As noted above the Vikings could easily take an EDGE rusher in round 2 or even in the 1st if they stick at pick #12. This late there is still value with the depth at the position although you get limited versatility. Malone is a thinner guy who is more of a situational 3-4 OLB but can bring value in a rotation early. He does a good job in the base getting to the ball carrier and has surprising explosiveness when closing on the QB. Everyone this late in the draft has flaws and Malone's are questions around if he can really add much weight and his odd rush execution plans. He should be able to make the 53-man roster but will end up being a rotational piece with Wonnum. Maybe he develops into more.  

6 (191) - Malcolm Rodriguez / ILB Oklahoma State: Draft crush of mine right here. Teams like the Rams and Broncos have found a not often talked about inefficiency in the later rounds of drafts. Undersized players with good tape and undervalued positions. Rodriguez one tape is one of the best ILBs in this draft class, he is just extremely undersized by NFL standards. When you watch him on film he has not speed or movement limitations and finds the ball carrier extremely well. In a 3-4 defense size at the ILB spots can often be hidden. The Vikings lack depth behind Kendricks & Hicks and I believe enough in Rodriguez that I believe he may be an eventual NFL starter. His skillset is also extremely valuable on special teams. 

6 (192) - Zach Tom / C Wake Forest: At some point the Vikings will add more competition along the O-line. Tom has lined up across the line at Wake Forest and actually was their LT this past year. He doesn't have the length nor size to play OT in the NFL but he projects well for center. His testing numbers and explosiveness suggest he is a good bet to develop on an NFL roster. The Vikings lack center depth behind Bradbury and although Tom won't be able to start in the near-term, he does have some traits that suggest he could be better in the NFL when put in a zone scheme where he'll be more natural. 

7 (251) - Damarion Williams / CB Houston: Draft fans will be more familiar with all-around Houston CB Marcus Jones, but Damarion Williams has an opportunity to compete in camp as nickel CB depth. He is a smaller player and lacks length, but that can be hidden on the inside. With Stingley in the 1st the Vikings have strong depth on the outside between Stingley, P2, Dantzler, and Kris Boyd. Behind Chandon Sullivan they lack depth at nickel and Williams would provide solid competition for Perry Nickerson. 

If the Vikings are legit considering WR in the 1st, that’s kind of a bitter pill to only end up with a 4th round gadget guy with a Tutu Atwell comp. I’ll have to check out his highlights though and I would be happy to wind up with Stingley, even at 9 I guess. 

Thanks for the insights and effort. Always love reading these. 

Stingley is boom or bust, but I'd have a hard time passing on him.

Jermaine Johnson is my most underrated player at the top of the draft. Logan Hall is my most underrated player in the draft. I think this guy has All Pro potential and you can get him in the 30 to 50 range. And I think too many people are giving us OLBs when we probably need a 5T more. If Tomlinson and Phillips are our DT and NT, and Hunter and Smith are our pass rushers, we still need that 5T that can stop the run and rush the passer. Right now that's Armon Watts. He's looked pretty good, but Hall would be a big upgrade--at the very least be very good in rotation. 

I think the Vikings will probably use next year's draft to replace Thielen, but I like using this year's draft to take a stab in the middle rounds on a high upside receiver. Who knows, if we hit, we won't have to do it next year. My stab is Tyquon Thornton--6-2, 181, 4.28 forty, really good hands. More track star than football star, but it's worth a shot. 

I'll have to look into Rodriguez. Good mock as always!

Love Stingley obviously but would hate to give up the draft capital to secure him, but that's probably what it would take. So in your scenario, that meaningless win against the Bears cost us essentially a 3rd and 6th round picks to move up to grab the guy we ultimately wanted and would have been positioned for by losing. Playing our starters in a meaningless game cost us. Anybody who thought that win was a "good win" is smoking crack because this is a great example of the potential end result. 

I like Logan Hall and agree our front 3 could use a disrupter. Maybe that ultimately ends up being Twyman, but Hall would bring competition 

Where do you have Hamilton going in your mock, Geoff? I'm starting to get a bit more and more enamored with him, and have him right along with Stingley and Jermaine Johnson as guys I'd love with our 1st pick.

I'm sure Donatell can get pretty creative with a 3 man lineup at Safety with Bynum playing a hybrid corner/safety role maybe.

I know you mean well, but the idea of trading up in this draft gives me acid reflux  :# :p  Would love Hall at 46.

If there is a player they think is elite? Can help the team? Can do so without awakening the ghosts of Herschel Walker? 

Then yes, resounding yes...I'd love to see Sauce or Stingley on this team - and a couple of the DL too. 

Thx for putting this together Geoff!

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:

Jermaine Johnson is my most underrated player at the top of the draft. Logan Hall is my most underrated player in the draft. I think this guy has All Pro potential and you can get him in the 30 to 50 range. And I think too many people are giving us OLBs when we probably need a 5T more. If Tomlinson and Phillips are our DT and NT, and Hunter and Smith are our pass rushers, we still need that 5T that can stop the run and rush the passer. Right now that's Armon Watts. He's looked pretty good, but Hall would be a big upgrade--at the very least be very good in rotation. 

I think the Vikings will probably use next year's draft to replace Thielen, but I like using this year's draft to take a stab in the middle rounds on a high upside receiver. Who knows, if we hit, we won't have to do it next year. My stab is Tyquon Thornton--6-2, 181, 4.28 forty, really good hands. More track star than football star, but it's worth a shot. 

I don't know that Stingley is "BOOM or bust"...  DJ recently said that he found out that the foot thing was something he was dealing with before the 2021 season.  Apparently Stingley tried to play through the pain those first couple games before getting shut down.  It would explain why he didn't look anywhere near as good as he did in 2019 and 2020.  If what Jeremiah said is true, kind of changes perception of him a bit doesn't it?  Then you're looking at a guy who was phenomenal in in 2019, dealt with an injury in 2020 but looked good when he was on the field, and then have a year where he didn't play well in a couple games because he had a foot injury he was trying to play through for the benefit of the team.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

I don't know that Stingley is "BOOM or bust"...  DJ recently said that he found out that the foot thing was something he was dealing with before the 2021 season.  Apparently Stingley tried to play through the pain those first couple games before getting shut down.  It would explain why he didn't look anywhere near as good as he did in 2019 and 2020.  If what Jeremiah said is true, kind of changes perception of him a bit doesn't it?  Then you're looking at a guy who was phenomenal in in 2019, dealt with an injury in 2020 but looked good when he was on the field, and then have a year where he didn't play well in a couple games because he had a foot injury he was trying to play through for the benefit of the team.
If you can 100% attribute his poor performance in 2021 to an injury, and his better but still less than awesome performance in 2020 to that same bothersome foot, then I suppose you take a shot on the guy and hope you see 2019 again. I'm not worried about the injury. I don't believe in "injury proneness." If it were just about the injury I'd take him top 10 with confidence. 

But not all scouts are convinced it was all about his foot. It will be interesting, though, to see if DJ moves him up in his rankings because of this. 

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

Baker Mayfield softly wept…

I’m with you and would be excited for Stingley (or Jameson Williams) but injuries sour teams on guys all the time. I’m excited to see what KAM does on Thursday.