Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Had to put my dear buddy down...
Always so difficult.  FYI Jimmy, the pain is not less when it is a smaller dog or cat. 

I have 2 Goldens and they're with me all day every day.  Can't even think about when I will have to make that call. You have my condolences.

Never had a Dog growing up and never really wanted one.  But I got a Golden for my son when he turned 16.  We absolutely Love him and can't believe we never had a Dog before.  Unfortunately, around Thanksgiving he was diagnosed with lymph node cancer and even with treatment he has about 1 year according to the Vet.  He just turned 6 so he is pretty young to have aggressive cancer.  We are going to be devasted when that day comes!

Quote: @minny65 said:
Never had a Dog growing up and never really wanted one.  But I got a Golden for my son when he turned 16.  We absolutely Love him and can't believe we never had a Dog before.  Unfortunately, around Thanksgiving he was diagnosed with lymph node cancer and even with treatment he has about 1 year according to the Vet.  He just turned 6 so he is pretty young to have aggressive cancer.  We are going to be devasted when that day comes!
I'm so sorry, that's really, really tough...

At the end of the day, we do whats best for them and I suspect you guys will make the right call at the right time. 

My condolences. Gonna be tough for me when I have to make that call.

Damn, sorry to hear that buddy. We put down our 12.5 year old lab right when COVID hit and got a new one in June 2020. She turns 2 this month and has certainly been an annoying younger sister to our 4.5 year old lab. Labs/Dogs are great, until you have to put them down.

Quote: @dadevike said:
I have 2 Goldens and they're with me all day every day.  Can't even think about when I will have to make that call. You have my condolences.
Yup, our yellow was my wife's velcro dog...She worked from home his whole life, so that was inevitable. First time she came out of the shower and he wasn't there waiting taking up the whole bathroom? She sobbed like a baby. I felt so badly for her. 

We knew it was coming the last year or so, he had some physical challenges but were able to keep him comfortable and happy with medication (anti inflammatories etc)

For me there really wasnt any preparing for the end when the end came. I was always dogged determined that he wouldn't suffer and tried to be mindful of his presence while he was here with us physically.  

Enjoy the pups!! 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@dadevike said:
Yup, our yellow was my wife's velcro dog...She worked from home his whole life, so that was inevitable. First time she came out of the shower and he wasn't there waiting taking up the whole bathroom? She sobbed like a baby. I felt so badly for her. 

We knew it was coming the last year or so, he had some physical challenges but were able to keep him comfortable and happy with medication (anti inflammatories etc)

For me there really wasnt any preparing for the end when the end came. I was always dogged determined that he wouldn't suffer and tried to be mindful of his presence while he was here with us physically.  

Enjoy the pups!! 
That was the situation with our prior dog, a Welsh Springer Spaniel who had a long decline. Just made sure he never suffered. 

I am prepping now,  have a 13 year old Lab, and she is dramatically slowing down.  Best dog I have ever had the privilege of having, did a double retrieve the first time I had her out, and it just got better after that.  Just keeping her comfortable, is the main thing.  Going to have to kennel her next month, luckily we have a great place, they let her be the office dog.  

My condolences
Al

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
I am prepping now,  have a 13 year old Lab, and she is dramatically slowing down.  Best dog I have ever had the privilege of having, did a double retrieve the first time I had her out, and it just got better after that.  Just keeping her comfortable, is the main thing.  Going to have to kennel her next month, luckily we have a great place, they let her be the office dog.  

My condolences
Al
It's a privilege when you get that special one. It is a sad time when you see the end coming, I get it. Sorry you're having to go through it.

I hope you can find some moments/times when you can park that sad and enjoy her while she is physically with you. 

Putting our guys on Movoflex when they got older made a marked difference for them.