Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The case for WR in the first...
I think it would be hard to pass on Stingley (assuming he's healthy). But we are all counting on the re-appearance of 2019 Stingley.  If Stingley and Wilson are both there at 12 the only way I consider trading out of that spot is if the compensation includes a first this year and a first next year. Otherwise, I am taking one of those two. And I am leaning towards Wilson.

Quote: @dadevike said:
I think it would be hard to pass on Stingley (assuming he's healthy). But we are all counting on the re-appearance of 2019 Stingley.  If Stingley and Wilson are both there at 12 the only way I consider trading out of that spot is if the compensation includes a first this year and a first next year. Otherwise, I am taking one of those two. And I am leaning towards Wilson.

Garrett Wilson and Jefferson on the outside with Thielen in the slot and Irv Smith (if he stays healthy) working the seam would be awfully scary for opposing defenses.

Prior to his injury I had Jameson Williams as my top guy and was looking at him as a really good pick for us. It's too bad he hurt his knee. And for the record I still think Treylon Burks is a stud despite the 4.55/40 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@dadevike said:

Garrett Wilson and Jefferson on the outside with Thielen in the slot and Irv Smith (if he stays healthy) working the seam would be awfully scary for opposing defenses.

Prior to his injury I had Jameson Williams as my top guy and was looking at him as a really good pick for us. It's too bad he hurt his knee. And for the record I still think Treylon Burks is a stud despite the 4.55/40 
Hunter and Z off the edge with a shut down corner to pair with P2 and Dantzler would be awfully scary for opposing offenses. 

But if we do go WR in the 1st (doubtful), my guy is Chris Olave. I might take Williams in the 2nd, but I doubt he plays much in 22. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@dadevike said:

Hunter and Z off the edge with a shut down corner to pair with P2 and Dantzler would be awfully scary for opposing offenses. 

But if we do go WR in the 1st (doubtful), my guy is Chris Olave. I might take Williams in the 2nd, but I doubt he plays much in 22. 
I had Wilson and Williams (pre-injury) as the top 2 WRs in either order. I expect Williams to be ready to go by the start of the season and to be close to 100% before the end of the season.

I will take the Wilson, Jefferson, Thielen, ISJ, Dalvin Cook offense with a decent to good O line. Talk about running it back; we're running it all the way back to 1998 with Moss, Carter, Reed, Glover, and Robert Smith.

Assuming Wilson is gone by 12, I would strongly consider Williams - assuming we get the go-ahead from the medical review.

Agree on Burks. I like him better than London (what am I missing with London?). Watson is also intriguing but he's the next level down because of the competition he faced.  Would he have been as effective in the SEC? That's not rhetorical.

@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@dadevike said:

I had Wilson and Williams (pre-injury) as the top 2 WRs in either order. I expect Williams to be ready to go by the start of the season and to be close to 100% before the end of the season.

I will take the Wilson, Jefferson, Thielen, ISJ, Dalvin Cook offense with a decent to good O line. Talk about running it back; we're running it all the way back to 1998 with Moss, Carter, Reed, Glover, and Robert Smith.

Assuming Wilson is gone by 12, I would strongly consider Williams - assuming we get the go-ahead from the medical review.

Agree on Burks. I like him better than London (what am I missing with London?). Watson is also intriguing but he's the next level down because of the competition he faced.  Would he have been as effective in the SEC? That's not rhetorical.
A lot of us on this board don't like London and it's mainly because he cant create separation very well. He's a damn good college receiver, but too many times have we seen really good college receivers not make it at the next level because they cannot separate. Honestly, I dont think I would take him in the first round

@supafreak84 said:
@dadevike said:

I don't believe in "shut down" corners anymore. You just grab a guy you hope is athletic enough to make a play a couple times a game and keep damage to a minimum. Like I said, if it's Sauce or Stingley I'm all aboard. I'm not taking the third ranked corner who happens to be 5'10" with the 12th overall pick in the draft. 

But yeah I think the two receivers we'd look at there would be Wilson and Olave 

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@dadevike said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@dadevike said:

A lot of us on this board don't like London and it's mainly because he cant create separation very well. He's a damn good college receiver, but too many times have we seen really good college receivers not make it at the next level because they cannot separate. Honestly, I dont think I would take him in the first round
With London I'm seeing the same kind of things I saw with Treadwell. Big, physical, high point jump ball guy who should be good in the red zone, but no separation and no juice. 

@Hawkvike25 said:
@dadevike said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@dadevike said:

With London I'm seeing the same kind of things I saw with Treadwell. Big, physical, high point jump ball guy who should be good in the red zone, but no separation and no juice. 
I think London is better than Treadwell (perhaps I am affected by Treadwell's performance in the NFL) but your point is well taken and I generally agree.  The issue, though, is that I do not remember anybody suggesting that Treadwell was anywhere close to the best WR in his draft. ...

I like the idea of WR at 12 (or Stingley, but that seems unlikely) but I would not like London there. 

@MaroonBells said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@dadevike said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@dadevike said:

I think London is better than Treadwell (perhaps I am affected by Treadwell's performance in the NFL) but your point is well taken and I generally agree.  The issue, though, is that I do not remember anybody suggesting that Treadwell was anywhere close to the best WR in his draft. ...

I like the idea of WR at 12 (or Stingley, but that seems unlikely) but I would not like London there. 
London would be a cat through the Samsung pick for me. 

If you look back at big boards in Feb and Marsh of 2016, Treadwell was generally considered the top WR in that class. He started to fall a bit as we got closer to the draft, but he had a lot of big fans. In fact, we had a several page thread about the receivers in that draft. Nobody wanted to hear that I thought he was the most overrated receiver I watched. 

Full disclosure, I thought Doctson would be better than he was. But that whole 1st round receiver class was dogshit. Every receiver taken in the 2nd round ended up much better than every receiver taken in the 1st round. 

There is a lot of depth at WR this draft.  I think there are a few really good ones around our pick 46.  I would pass at 12 for a WR and maybe do a trade down.  I think we are looking at CB and RDE for our new 3-4 where our depth chart has Twyman as our starter with J. Robinson as his backup.