Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The case for WR in the first...
The Vikings pick just outside the top 10 so should have some pretty good options.  I think WR should be a strong consideration.

The case for WR at 12:
1. The premium positions in today's NFL are QB, WR, OT, Edge, and CB.  This is a terrible QB class so I am crossing out QB at 12. We are set at OT. That leaves WR, Edge, and CB. Arguably, our biggest need is at CB but we did sign a couple of CBs in FA. We also signed ZaDarius Smith and we are getting Hunter back. We have added nothing at WR. 
2. What positions are getting paid now in the NFL?  QB, of course, but I have already nixed this QB class at 12.  And WR. Thielen is still very good but he could  well be gone after this year. And at his age he is struggling to get through a full season. I don't have much faith in ISM or KJ to be a top WR2.
3. In a couple of years Jefferson will demand at least $30M/year. Cousins will be gone.  We will need another top receiver, preferably one on a rookie deal. 
4. There is talent in this WR class worthy of going in the top 10: Wilson, Williams, and Olave. Someone can try to talk me into London. I know he is seen as WR1 in this class but I don't see it. He catches everything but he's never open. Does that translate to success in the NFL?  Is he Keyshawn? Brandon Marshall?

The case against WR at 12:
1. Yes this is a strong WR class. That means there will be some very good players at 46.
2. Every WR class has some stars in it. There is nothing special about this class. (Maybe, but next year we will likely need to draft a QB in the first. So we will not have this opportunity in next year's draft.)
3. Smith and Hunter come with big injury concerns. The Vikings lucked out with Hunter in the 3rd. That will not happen again. Everyone is looking for pass rushers. If we want a top Edge, we will need to draft him now. And we are paper thin at CB. (We drafted 2 DEs last year. Robinson never played. Give them a chance. It should be WR and CB, or CB and WR in this draft.)
4. The offense is fine.  The defense has sucked for 2 years now. If Stingley or one of the top Edge rushers are available, take one of them and leave WR for later.  (But this FA we have added to the defense and to IOL. We do not have the cap space to add WR talent in FA. So draft one.)

If Wilson, Williams, Olave, Stingley, and Jermain Johnson are all available at 12, who should he Vikings take?  I would be disappointed with Johnson and would love any of the rest. 

They might be very tempted by one of the WR's sitting their @ 12...Depends how highly they rate the DB's after Sauce, the Edges, Davidson on the interior...

The only thing we can count on is there will be 1-2 surprise picks/trades b4 us. 

After free agency take the BPA.  The receiver room has Jefferson, Thielen, ISM, and Osborn.  Bisi Johnson will be back from injury and we also have Irv Smith Jr. coming back.  With the new coaching staff and offensive coordinator we will see a more updated offensive game plan focused on getting receivers open with different formations and pre-snap motion.  Receiver may be down the list of needs that can be addressed in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Nope, I just don't see it.  WR won't be drafted until 5th unless they trade down and get an extra pick or two.

I can see good value at the position in the 2nd through the 4th round. There are a couple of guys I have my eye on to replace Thielen long term, who in my opinion have been overlooked for various reasons.

I look at the draft like this if I'm the Vikings, if both Sauce and Stingley are off the board...everything is open, including WR where there is talent and value. KOC is going to run an offense with multiple WR packages. Thielen is one of my favorite players and one of the best stories in the history of the franchise, but he's 32, has been injured the last few years, and his production is down. I'd say there's a good chance this is his last season on the roster. Osborn is good, I'm not sure how good, but I wouldn't rely on him to put up starters numbers in a full time roll if needed. I wouldn't pass up one of these guys in the draft either because I'm hoping Marsette develops. If those two corners are gone and I can pair say Garrett Wilson with Jefferson for the next 8 years or so, done deal and this offense is up and flying 

The Rams stockpiled WRs and with concerns over injuries and the Vikings offense likely to spread the field, then they can't have enough playmakers. I'd still rather take a CB, but if the top two guys are gone and there is excellent value at WR, then that makes sense. The only other thing I'd consider is that with the switch to a 3-4 and the struggles that the D has had in recent years, I would be very tempted to add a playmaker anywhere on defense.

It's interesting. Patrick Peterson and Adam Thielen are the same age. Within a month of each other. And both need a succession plan. But, to me, one is much more urgent. 

With Thielen, JJ, KJO and ISJ the rookie receiver may not contribute much in 2022. If it's an edge, he'd be rotational behind Smith and Hunter. Good picks for the future, but I think this team wants to win now. 

Vikings should be careful not to overthink this. Take the corner. Last year, Kwesi was Andrew Berry's right hand man in Cleveland. 1st pick, CB. Last year, Ed Donatell was the DC in Denver. 1st pick, CB. 

CB, S, WR is what I'd do in the 1st three rounds. 

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
I look at the draft like this if I'm the Vikings, if both Sauce and Stingley are off the board...everything is open, including WR where there is talent and value. KOC is going to run an offense with multiple WR packages. Thielen is one of my favorite players and one of the best stories in the history of the franchise, but he's 32, has been injured the last few years, and his production is down. I'd say there's a good chance this is his last season on the roster. Osborn is good, I'm not sure how good, but I wouldn't rely on him to put up starters numbers in a full time roll if needed. I wouldn't pass up one of these guys in the draft either because I'm hoping Marsette develops. If those two corners are gone and I can pair say Garrett Wilson with Jefferson for the next 8 years or so, done deal and this offense is up and flying 
I think this is exactly right.  Our need is greater at CB and CB is a high value position, it is just not as high as WR. So take CB if one of the top 2 is there (even then I would be tempted to take Wilson or, but for his injury, Williams).  
I can't really get behind a pure BPA approach.  If Hamilton falls to 12, I would consider him.  He may be the best Safety to come out in years (though he is not in the same class as a Sean Taylor), and Harrison Smith is getting up there in age.  I think a stud safety does make a huge difference.  I would not consider Linderbaum regardless of how much better he is than the next Center. Likewise, no Guards and probably no IDL.  Would you make an exception for Davis? Only if you see his freak athleticism making him a superior interior pass rush threat. And unless you see the next Micah Parsons, no LB at 12, either. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
It's interesting. Patrick Peterson and Adam Thielen are the same age. Within a month of each other. And both need a succession plan. But, to me, one is much more urgent. 

With Thielen, JJ, KJO and ISJ the rookie receiver may not contribute much in 2022. If it's an edge, he'd be rotational behind Smith and Hunter. Good picks for the future, but I think this team wants to win now. 

Vikings should be careful not to overthink this. Take the corner. Last year, Kwesi was Andrew Berry's right hand man in Cleveland. 1st pick, CB. Last year, Ed Donatell was the DC in Denver. 1st pick, CB. 

CB, S, WR is what I'd do in the 1st three rounds. 
I agree,  but do you burn the 12th pick with potentially the 3rd best CB of the draft?  an undersized one at that?