Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins Extended
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@pattersaur said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
Oddly structured extension but I'll take it 
The story behind that is the Vikings wanted to tack on void years and Kirk would only do it if they offered at least a 1 year extension on the deal and no-trade clause. So Vikings were left deciding on a trade now or this deal they took. 
So @MarkSP was right. Interesting. Kirk always the team player! /s
Yes he was, I figured Kirk would add them since it only benefitted him. But if you can get an extra $35M in the process, why not. 
I'm not into being right or wrong.  I was just debating it with the limited logic I have left.  It did not make sense to me, if I was thinking like his agent, to let them add void years and have my client vulnerable to anything. Injuries can happen (knock on wood).

I am often very very wrong.  Here is all you need to know about my QB evaluation capabilities.

I wanted to trade UP for Tim Tebow and would still do it today!

But I am a stubborn old goat.

[Image: GUSs0Wj__normal.jpg]
John Medley liked your Retweet
Former #Vikings QB Tommy Kramer on Kirk Cousins extension says "this is their best chance to win now" Says Vikings "need to give him the keys to the offense." Kramer said they now must "add a defensive end and a couple more pieces" as they rebuild the defense.

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@pattersaur said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
The story behind that is the Vikings wanted to tack on void years and Kirk would only do it if they offered at least a 1 year extension on the deal and no-trade clause. So Vikings were left deciding on a trade now or this deal they took. 
Yes he was, I figured Kirk would add them since it only benefitted him. But if you can get an extra $35M in the process, why not. 
I'm not into being right or wrong.  I was just debating it with the limited logic I have left.  It did not make sense to me, if I was thinking like his agent, to let them add void years and have my client vulnerable to anything. Injuries can happen (knock on wood).

I am often very very wrong.  Here is all you need to know about my QB evaluation capabilities.

As a 4th string TE?

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:

That's not stubborn, that's psychotic.   B)

Former QBs are either clueless or full of you know what. 

https://twitter.com/christomasson/status/1503185007644495874

“NFL analyst Joe Theismann on Kirk Cousins extension: “I think it’s a good move for (the #Vikings). Obviously, if you look at the quarterback market today, it’s hard to find a quarterback who’s been able to do what Kirk has been able to do."

9:43 PM · Mar 13, 2022·Twitter Web App

Fair enough until you see what Joey said after the 2020 extension ...

https://www.twincities.com/2020/03/16/vikings-agree-to-sign-kirk-cousins-to-two-year-66-million-extension/

“I think (the move) makes a lot of sense,” said NFL analyst and former quarterback Joe Theismann. “It’s a good move because Kirk gives you stability at the position.’’

“Believe me, they brought Kirk to the Minnesota Vikings to play in a Super Bowl,” Theismann said. “They did not bring him in there to win a division.”

So, after seeing the team miss the playoffs the last two years, Joey still thinks it is a good idea to keep spending big money on a QB.

It would not matter to me who was the QB the last four years.  The strategy of paying big bucks for a QB has failed to produce the desired or even minimal results let alone a freaking Super Bowl.

They probably did not have any better options but it is hard to see them being able to do enough to maybe sneak into the playoffs. I have zero confidence and the last two years is the evidence and reason for the no confidence.

The talk about the offense scheme/play calling not being good enough or holding back Cousins is complete nonsense.  It's a lazy excuse.

The dude threw for 4221 yards with 33 TDs and 7 INTs. 

Cousins was 4th in QBR last year and 8th in 2020.

Cook was 5th in rushing last year and 2nd in 2020.

The problem was that the offense was 13th in points per game last year and 11th in 2020.

Man the OC must have been pretty horrible to hold down the QB.

How much better is Cousins going to get from his numbers last year?  40 TDs?  50 TDs?

The Chiefs vs Bills playoff game showed the kind of QB we need to one day have.  A QB that can make some extra plays after already playing well during a game.

I cannot even think of one time Cousins made a play on his own because they are rare.  Very rare.

Quote: @comet52 said:
@MarkSP18 said:

That's not stubborn, that's psychotic.   B)
Or just outright fuckery.

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@pattersaur said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:

As a 4th string TE?
I contend to this day that they messed the dude up trying to change his throwing motion and not EVER giving him the first team reps all through the offseason and letting him play 2 seasons at least.

First, his throwing motion was no worse than Randall Cunningham or Byron Leftwich.

Second, they never let him be with the ones in the offseason.  The Vikings gave Ponder 30 something starts and two off seasons of running with the ones.  Even though he was not the one, Spielman at least gave him enough rope before pulling the lever.

He probably still would have busted out but he never really got the chance because the coach that traded up for him was canned before his second season.

just get me a SB victory and all is good

First off folks, he’s no longer a “big money QB”. He’s finally being paid commensurate with his production and not overpaid by a consistently desperate Spielman. Seriously nice job by Kwesi. 
Secondly, the no trade clause means very little. All it does is keep the Vikings from trading him to the worst team in the league. It simply gives him a say in where he’s going. Once teams let a guy know they want to trade him, they typically don’t say “no way keep me around”. What they do is work with the team to find a new place to play. Then they waive the NTC. You’re about to witness Deshaun Watson do exactly that. Once he decides on a team and the details are worked out, he’ll waive it and the deal is done. Simple. 
Now with that said, get ready for two years of Cousins. Unless he suddenly gets horrible, he’ll be our starter for the next two years. Hopefully he can continue to keep our offense effective. I’m definitely happy he agreed to do a more cap friendly deal. I guarantee he left some money on the table. Likely a good $10 million+. 
We are not nearly as far away from being a competitive team as some of you envision. We have the high level efficient QB in place. Now we need to build the other necessary component of a championship level team. A competitive defense. It’s been a couple of rough years. Had we been able to get even average play out of them we’d have been in the playoffs each year. People get lost in Cousins pay and fail to realize they’ve been paying a lot to our defense as well. One of the higher paid in the league each year. You want to talk “mediocre”, heck we could have won a lot more games with mediocre play by our defense. 
The truth is, we’ve sucked because our defense can’t stop anyone. They struggled against bad teams and got smoked by good teams. Speaking of good teams, we’ve played an inordinate number of them the past two years. Hopefully next year it will let up a bit. 
At least Cousins performs for his money. In general our offense holds up their end. I can’t say the same about many on our defense. It’s a team sport folks, there has to be balance. Today’s contract will go a long ways in freeing up money to add a couple of real defenders in FA. This draft is excellent for defense, but I’m focused on FA and we will have some options. 
I’m hopeful we can keep Hunter as a rush LB and have either Barr signed to be on the other side or a similar type of player. That could make a lot of trouble for an offensive line trying to figure out who’s coming. 
I know it’s easy to get down. It’s been a rough couple of years. Losing every game, except the one Cousins didn’t play in, by 8 points or less was truly brutal and frustrating. Let’s see what these guys can do in free agency and the draft. You just might find some reasons for optimism. 

Quote: @Havoc1649 said:
First off folks, he’s no longer a “big money QB”. He’s finally being paid commensurate with his production and not overpaid by a consistently desperate Spielman. Seriously nice job by Kwesi. 
Secondly, the no trade clause means very little. All it does is keep the Vikings from trading him to the worst team in the league. It simply gives him a say in where he’s going. Once teams let a guy know they want to trade him, they typically don’t say “no way keep me around”. What they do is work with the team to find a new place to play. Then they waive the NTC. You’re about to witness Deshaun Watson do exactly that. Once he decides on a team and the details are worked out, he’ll waive it and the deal is done. Simple. 
Now with that said, get ready for two years of Cousins. Unless he suddenly gets horrible, he’ll be our starter for the next two years. Hopefully he can continue to keep our offense effective. I’m definitely happy he agreed to do a more cap friendly deal. I guarantee he left some money on the table. Likely a good $10 million+. 
We are not nearly as far away from being a competitive team as some of you envision. We have the high level efficient QB in place. Now we need to build the other necessary component of a championship level team. A competitive defense. It’s been a couple of rough years. Had we been able to get even average play out of them we’d have been in the playoffs each year. People get lost in Cousins pay and fail to realize they’ve been paying a lot to our defense as well. One of the higher paid in the league each year. You want to talk “mediocre”, heck we could have won a lot more games with mediocre play by our defense. 
The truth is, we’ve sucked because our defense can’t stop anyone. They struggled against bad teams and got smoked by good teams. Speaking of good teams, we’ve played an inordinate number of them the past two years. Hopefully next year it will let up a bit. 
At least Cousins performs for his money. In general our offense holds up their end. I can’t say the same about many on our defense. It’s a team sport folks, there has to be balance. Today’s contract will go a long ways in freeing up money to add a couple of real defenders in FA. This draft is excellent for defense, but I’m focused on FA and we will have some options. 
I’m hopeful we can keep Hunter as a rush LB and have either Barr signed to be on the other side or a similar type of player. That could make a lot of trouble for an offensive line trying to figure out who’s coming. 
I know it’s easy to get down. It’s been a rough couple of years. Losing every game, except the one Cousins didn’t play in, by 8 points or less was truly brutal and frustrating. Let’s see what these guys can do in free agency and the draft. You just might find some reasons for optimism. 

The bottom line is would you rather have Cousins for two years (like you said) working with a rookie coaching staff installing new schemes, a putrid defense, and no answers at the position after his two years are done and Kirk is a 36 years old free agent with a no trade clause...

Or would you rather have traded him now while the QB market is hot and the draft lacked, used the cap money saved and trade assets acquired to rebuild the roster while likely positioning yourself to land an elite QB prospect in 2023 and making a legit run at this thing into the future...?

I'd have taken the latter option every day of the week. Kwesi took the "let's try and win now" option (maybe at the direction of the Wilfs) and I think it was completely the wrong move to make. OConnell wanted Kirk, well now he's got Kirk for two years...so let's see this great offense and hope it was all worth it. My money's on it won't be.