Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins Extended
[Image: op44T7Pz_bigger.jpg]
The #Vikings are signing Pro Bowl QB Kirk Cousins to a one-year, $35 million fully guaranteed extension that puts him under contract through 2023, per sources.

Cousins gets a raise to $40 million in 2022, $55 million payable by next March and a no-trade clause.

Damn, you’re quick…  B)    lowered his cap figure by about 14m per Tom P…

Quote: @"Kentis" said:
Damn, you’re quick…  B) 
That's what she said

Oddly structured extension but I'll take it 

i dont think this is done yet,  seems that the money and no trade are to protect kirk while the team is working for options, while giving the team room to move him to a team of his choosing.

Starting to make more sense...

Adam Schefter
Vikings gave Kirk Cousins a one-year, fully-guaranteed $35 million extension, per source. He will make $40 million this year and $30 million next. Deal has two voidable years in it to lower his cap number this year to $31.25M. $15M of deal will be paid by this time next year.

Win-win: The #Vikings save almost $14 million on the 2022 salary cap and don’t have to worry about Kirk Cousins – who they think will thrive under Kevin O’Connell – being in a contract year. Cousins gets a raise, more guaranteed money and control over his future via the no-trade.

Quote: @"JustinTime18™" said:
@"Kentis" said:
Damn, you’re quick…  B) 
That's what she said

Kate will do that to ya…  Wink B) :p  

So we lowered his cap number and extended him at basically his current rate?

I’ve been vocal about wanting to move on from Kirk but I can’t be mad about this. Gives us 2 drafts to find The Guy to replace Kirk while also allowing us to see what KC can do under the new regime with no true longterm commitment. 

With the Wilfs reportedly relunctant to “blow it up,” this feels like a deal that will satisfy all parties. And for me it’s infinitely better than a 4- or 5-year deal that had been bandied about by some. 

It’s not what I would have done, but I can tip my cap on this. Good job Vikings. 

Quote: @"JustinTime18™" said:
Win-win: The #Vikings save almost $14 million on the 2022 salary cap and don’t have to worry about Kirk Cousins – who they think will thrive under Kevin O’Connell – being in a contract year. Cousins gets a raise, more guaranteed money and control over his future via the no-trade.
And allows the Vikings to improve their defense via free agency and the draft in '22, while perhaps targeting 2023 as the year to draft Cousins successor, with a year to develop. Now, do they collect '23 picks by trading someone?