Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The mother of all polls…
Quote: @minny65 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
@MaroonBells said:
I'm cautious, because his off-field stuff could pop up again. But the grand jury's refusal to even indict is a big thing. It means Watson should and will be able to continue his career.

Put me down for Cousins and picks. Watsons age, talent and mobility is what we're all looking for. I'm a broken record on this, but the draft is fools gold. The odds of hitting, even in the 1st round, are just so low. You get a chance to acquire a proven NFL starter, at 26, who can move. Yeah, ya gotta do that. 
These are my feelings too. Unfortunately the Vikings don’t have the ammo to outbid these other teams. Only way it would happen is if Watson uses his no-trade clause to sort of force his way here. But this is the NFL not the NBA. I think Watson will do very well if he goes to Seattle. 
The only way we'd be in the running is if the Texans wanted a good veteran starting QB in return. Maybe more of a choir boy after the Watson debacle. And we're likely the only team who can offer that. Seattle, Tampa, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Carolina...none of them have one. 

Why would Houston, owners of what is probably the worst roster in football, trade 26 yo QB with $40M contract for 33 yo QB with $40M contract? To win now? Ha! Ya'right. The only other way is what you suggest: wanting to play with JJ and Dalvin. 

Odds are probably under 5%. But I bet the Vikings make an offer. 

Agree, I don't think the Texans are looking for a veteran QB like Cousins.  They are in complete rebuild mode...perpetually.  I would think they would want a multitude of draft picks.

Interesting 2017 draft with Chiefs having the conviction to move up to #10 to get Mahomes and the Texans moving up from 25 to #12 to get Watson.  Of course the Bears stayed-put at #2 and drafted the worst of them - Trubisky Smile  Sometimes you have to carpe diem and move up for your guy.  
Actually, the Bears moved from #3 to #2 for the privilege of drafting a one year starter.

The Texans have turned down multiple #1s last year. With the deal the Seahawks got for Wilson, they've looking at three 1s and a sweetener. Maybe one of Philly's young DEs.

Quote: @Rigby said:
@minny65 said:
@
Agree, I don't think the Texans are looking for a veteran QB like Cousins.  They are in complete rebuild mode...perpetually.  I would think they would want a multitude of draft picks.

Interesting 2017 draft with Chiefs having the conviction to move up to #10 to get Mahomes and the Texans moving up from 25 to #12 to get Watson.  Of course the Bears stayed-put at #2 and drafted the worst of them - Trubisky Smile  Sometimes you have to carpe diem and move up for your guy.  
Far be it from me to rub salt in a Bear wound, but they traded up as well.
Yea, moving from 3 to 2, showed some real conviction Smile  Who was the GM Mr. Dumbass

Cousins and the picks. Make it so..)) Doubtful it happens, but my excitement levels for the Vikings would be off the charts for the first time in years.

Vikings have inquired. 

https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/...16586?s=20&t=Zvg9HPb7ITo4qd802FxU2w

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
Fun fact.

In his last season as a starter Watson threw for 33 TDs and 8 picks. His defense and OL were horrible. He added 3 rushing TDs.

The Texans went 4-12.
Are you suggesting Watson isnt a winner?  I bet his record against playoff teams suck. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
Fun fact.

In his last season as a starter Watson threw for 33 TDs and 8 picks. His defense and OL were horrible. He added 3 rushing TDs.

The Texans went 4-12.
Are you suggesting Watson isnt a winner?  I bet his record against playoff teams suck. 
4X MVP Aaron Rodgers has a losing record against winning teams. You know who doesn't? Jimmy G. Who you taking? It's a trick stat that has the perception of meaning. But it's meaningless. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Vikings have inquired. 

If we found someone to take Kirk for a 2022 2nd and HOU wants straight picks, we could do:

2022 #12
2022 2nd
2022 2nd (Kirk trade)
2023 1st
2023 2nd
… 2024 1st ? Man this last one would hurt but idk how we’re even at the table unless we include it considering what these other teams can offer in this year’s draft alone. Even this package might not be enough.

Whoever gets him is paying out the nose but he has 4 more years on his deal, is young, and as of 2020 could really sling it. 

I’m all for moving on from Kirk but Watson is going to be expennnnsive. Probably worth it but there will be some pain involved. 

*If* something bananas like this happened then yes the defense is going to stink again in 2022. Maybe even in 2023 too. But you’re playing the long game and gambling that Watson will retire as a Viking and your window might not be until 2024. Is he worth the gamble? I think I say yes but it definitely is a risk. 

EDIT- Final point- KOC and half his staff are coming over from the Rams. I understand KOC is not the GM, but the Rams are notorious for trading picks for vets. And it just won them a Super Bowl. It’s not my preferred model but it’s not unthinkable that KOC has this same “picks are risks” mindset.

Do I seriously believe the new GM and coach are looking for a circus? No. Do I believe that all the women were lying? No. Do I believe Watson has issues and is emboldened by the court ruling? Yes. Regardless of his talent, he is not someone I want on this team. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Vikings have inquired. 

Leverage perhaps…

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@MaroonBells said:
Vikings have inquired. 

If we found someone to take Kirk for a 2022 2nd and HOU wants straight picks, we could do:

2022 #12
2022 2nd
2022 2nd (Kirk trade)
2023 1st
2023 2nd
… 2024 1st ? Man this last one would hurt but idk how we’re even at the table unless we include it considering what these other teams can offer in this year’s draft alone. Even this package might not be enough.

Whoever gets him is paying out the nose but he has 4 more years on his deal, is young, and as of 2020 could really sling it. 

I’m all for moving on from Kirk but Watson is going to be expennnnsive. Probably worth it but there will be some pain involved. 

*If* something bananas like this happened then yes the defense is going to stink again in 2022. Maybe even in 2023 too. But you’re playing the long game and gambling that Watson will retire as a Viking and your window might not be until 2024. Is he worth the gamble? I think I say yes but it definitely is a risk. 

EDIT- Final point- KOC and half his staff are coming over from the Rams. I understand KOC is not the GM, but the Rams are notorious for trading picks for vets. And it just won them a Super Bowl. It’s not my preferred model but it’s not unthinkable that KOC has this same “picks are risks” mindset.

I think most teams are trending in this direction. I know Spielman was a believer (see Cousins), and so likely also Paton (see Wilson trade). The last two Super Bowls were won by veteran QBs brought onto good teams (Stafford and Brady). Last time the Broncos won the Super Bowl it was with Peyton Manning, another vet. 

Interestingly, the Broncos have had 11 different starting QBs since Manning. That was 2015!!! So not that long ago.

You gotta get a vet. And if one's available you send a truckload of picks to get him. It's better than drafting the next Goff, Wentz, Winston, Mariota, Rosen, etc and setting your team back 5 years. People talk about the cost of acquisition. Steep, sure. But they forget about the cost of missing on a 1st round QB. It's huge.