Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wentz To Commodes
Quote: @pattersaur said:
Starting to wonder if the absolute dearth of Cousins trade chatter means the Vikings are in total love with the guy, or the rest of the league hates his guts. Honestly not sure.
Yea, that is a point I was making for a couple weeks now.  We are going to find out what the other teams looking for a veteran QB think of Cousins.  We seem to have 2 groups on this site (or at least I created 2 groups Smile.  Those that think Kirk is good enough to get us a SB (Group 1) and want an extension and Group 2 which would like to get the most for Kirk and use the picks and Cap saving to start a rebuild.  Group 1 always points to Kirk's stats which are always Top 10, so I am hoping that one of those teams falls for the stat trap and lets us move on.  I have seen enough of Kirk to think he is not answer for us or really any team.   

So far it is crickets on the Kirk front around the league but we have a week or so to see how things develop in the market.  If their are no rumors of strong interest I don't think that sends a very good message to the Group 1 folks but we will then be stuck rooting for him anyway, of course.  

[Image: ha0sxugiautl.jpeg]
Come on now, no grouping is allowed here…!  Wink  :p

Starting to wonder if the absolute dearth of Cousins trade chatter means the Vikings are in total love with the guy, or the rest of the league hates his guts. Honestly not sure.
Sadly I think it's both.  Plus I think Kwesi and KOC are more worried about not looking bad in 2022 than building the future.  They'd rather go 7-10/9-8 with Kirk than risk going 5-12 starting Mond or a "bridge" guy this year while setting things up for 2023> .

[Image: wjn80v145878.jpeg]

Quote: @RS Express said:
@pattersaur said:
Sadly I think it's both.  Plus I think Kwesi and KOC are more worried about not looking bad in 2022 than building the future.  They'd rather go 7-10/9-8 with Kirk than risk going 5-12 starting Mond or a "bridge" guy this year while setting things up for 2023> .
This isn't all together unexpected.  Rogers was to set the market,  he didn't move,  when he didn't Denver went to the next best available option which was Wilson.  Cousins should have been next,  but maybe the skins were never in those talks due to not wanting to pay that rich a sum ( or maybe KC agent told the to GTFO when they asked him about a longer term deal based on his past experience in DC) ,  but there are still at least 3 or 4 teams that are looking for an upgrade and Cousins is the best of the bunch unless Watson is finally dealt and I dobt know how high teams really would be on a guy that hasn't played in this long.

Or maybe KAM has just put a value on him and teams are playing chicken with the first year GM?  Either way,  we still dont really know shit about what's going on as of yet.

But if they are truly shopping players like cook and AT...I dont see this as a simple fix year,   those two alone would signify more changes are in the works imo. 

More than anything, that contract restricts almost everything both ways. I think the new Vikings might like him, but not in love with him. Other teams might have SOME interest, but not enough to give up the compensation. Minnesota doesn't want to give him away. Its just not anything close to optimal for anyone in any potential scenario. 

Cousin's contract is just f-ing brutal. Its almost radioactive. He produces but I'm certain not perceived as elite by anyone. I do like Cousins, but not at what he's going to make this upcoming season. But what's the alternative if nobody wants to trade for him and give proper comp? The whole thing is a messed up situation.

Quote: @minny65 said:
@pattersaur said:
Yea, that is a point I was making for a couple weeks now.  We are going to find out what the other teams looking for a veteran QB think of Cousins.  We seem to have 2 groups on this site (or at least I created 2 groups Smile.  Those that think Kirk is good enough to get us a SB (Group 1) and want an extension and Group 2 which would like to get the most for Kirk and use the picks and Cap saving to start a rebuild.  Group 1 always points to Kirk's stats which are always Top 10, so I am hoping that one of those teams falls for the stat trap and lets us move on.  I have seen enough of Kirk to think he is not answer for us or really any team.   

So far it is crickets on the Kirk front around the league but we have a week or so to see how things develop in the market.  If their are no rumors of strong interest I don't think that sends a very good message to the Group 1 folks but we will then be stuck rooting for him anyway, of course.  
I don't think the Vikings want to trade Cousins, so we don't know how many teams have called, been told no and turned their attention elsewhere. Also, the first QB was better than Kirk. The next QB went to a team that would never be interested in Kirk. So if he IS on the market, those transactions tell us nothing. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@minny65 said:
@pattersaur said:

I don't think the Vikings want to trade Cousins, so we don't know how many teams have called, been told no and turned their attention elsewhere. Also, the first QB was better than Kirk. The next QB went to a team that would never be interested in Kirk. So if he IS on the market, those transactions tell us nothing. 
In this day and age everything is revealed so we will know the interest level for Kirk.  I know you are for keeping Kirk and extending to mitigate his salary CAP hit so I can see where you are coming from.  I am for ripping off this band aide for a new regime to start anew without past decisions bogging them down. Kirk is the albatross and I am really hoping some team likes him as much as you do and gives us a decent deal. 

If the next few weeks go by and we hear no interest from other teams I think it would be naive to think that tells us nothing.  It tells me a lot.    

Quote: @minny65 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@minny65 said:
@pattersaur said:

In this day and age everything is revealed so we will know the interest level for Kirk.  I know you are for keeping Kirk and extending to mitigate his salary CAP hit so I can see where you are coming from.  I am for ripping off this band aide for a new regime to start anew without past decisions bogging them down. Kirk is the albatross and I am really hoping some team likes him as much as you do and gives us a decent deal. 

If the next few weeks go by and we hear no interest from other teams I think it would be naive to think that tells us nothing.  It tells me a lot.    
You'd have to be pretty naive to think that IF Cousins were available, no team would be interested. Even at his salary. 

End of the day, you need a QB to win games.  If I'm sitting on a 4 year contract as coach/gm, am I really willing to trade away a guy who's putting in top 10 numbers for the russian roulette wheel of QBs in the draft.  With the "weak" QB class and us not picking top ten do you really roll with a Mond or similar and then hope like hell you get a QB in year 2 of 4 in the draft.  Get that QB ready to compete in say year 3 but probably year 4 for the North?
Glad its not my ass on the line lol.  Imagine trading Cousins for peanuts and he goes to the Colts and makes a hell of a run?