Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kwesi Combine Comments Concerning Cousins
I dont think there is anything to be gleaned from the comments today except KAM is playing the game,  with KC and his agent,  as well as the other GMs.  I dont take his comments as tipping his hand either way,  and really its to early to assume anything.  Obviously the new regime will want to get off on a good note,  but they would certainly be smart enough to not want to saddle themselves with a long term cap issue either.  I would guess they want Kirk in the fold,   but aren't willing to mortgage their future cap flexibility as a result.

Interesting how he focused on "when the odds are shifted in his favor he gets the most out of it."  What he didn't say is what happens when everything doesn't go perfectly, which has been the issue with Cousins and being able to turn a negative situation into a positive one with an ability to improvise, which is what really separates the great QBs.  

Some of you guys crack me up with what you “read into” his comments. The underlying factors will not change until a deal is struck. Answers like this will happen over and over. It’s obvious they really want him, but the reality of the cap is part of the game. 
As for “when the odds are in his favor…he gets the most out of it”. Guys, this is not a negative comment on his play, very much the opposite. You have to take the comment in the context he’s talking about. Kwesi is in the middle of praising what he does well. When a pass play begins, the QB will typically have 3 or 4 outcomes to choose from. The QB usually doesn’t know the best choice ahead of time. A good QB recognizes the option with the highest likelihood of success “odds in his favor”. It’s what you want a QB to be able to determine so he’s throwing into the best situation. This limits turnovers. It has to do with how fast a QB can process the best option and make the most out of the play call. Efficiency is what he’s discussing and pointing it out as a positive attribute. Being good at this is a huge positive in an NFL QB and important in the majority of systems employed.
BTW, this is what could be the greatest thing for Cousins in the new system. He’ll be given better options for success. No more 4 yard routes by all potential receivers on 3 and 11. No more WR screens when it’s blatantly obvious. No more one and two option routes. Watching Stafford’s options throughout the playoffs was a breath of fresh air. People will love the new system regardless of who the QB is. We should all just hope they put a guy back there who is experienced and efficient. 

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
Kwesi Adofo-Mensah said he's talked to Kirk Cousins and Kirk's agent.

"Those conversations are ongoing...we will do whatever's best for the Minnesota Vikings and Kirk will do what's best for Kirk. But I think there's a lot of middle ground for us to work well together."
If there was a single quote worth reading into, its this one. It implies the Vikings want to do something with his deal which both means their preference is to keep him (what I believe too) and the Vikings are willing to discuss options. What it also implies is that Kirk has interests of his own so hopefully they can meet in the middle on something that works for everyone. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JustinTime18™ said:

"Those conversations are ongoing...we will do whatever's best for the Minnesota Vikings and Kirk will do what's best for Kirk. But I think there's a lot of middle ground for us to work well together."
If there was a single quote worth reading into, its this one. It implies the Vikings want to do something with his deal which both means their preference is to keep him (what I believe too) and the Vikings are willing to discuss options. What it also implies is that Kirk has interests of his own so hopefully they can meet in the middle on something that works for everyone. 

That's exactly what I took from it too. There really is "news" in this piece and it's in the quote above.  

Doesn't mean they will come to an agreement. Doesn't mean he won't be traded. But just the fact that the Vikings and Cousins agent are talking about his contract is something we didn't really know before. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JustinTime18™ said:

I found that statement from KAM more confirming than anything else...

I dont think there's any doubt they'd like to go into 22 with KC @ QB. The price has to be reasonable for both sides.