Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Commercials
Quote: @greediron said:
@Knucklehead said:
I liked the Arnold commercial, although I'll admit I don't remember what it was for.
It was an electric car, kia I think. 

[Image: p90385570-highres-the-new-bmw-communic-1583423938.jpg]

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@greediron said:
@Knucklehead said:
I liked the Arnold commercial, although I'll admit I don't remember what it was for.

BMW... KIA... three letter so close enough....whose gonna really know the difference,  right?

Quote: @Akvike said:
Minny what is the cost per charge--or are you calculating fuel cost/charging as a push and there fore omitting that cost.
Up here in Ak. I can't wrap my mind around owning one due to distances and extended periods of single to double digits below zero.  And I'm curious how much a charge-up costs at these recharge stations hits someone
Yea, I never really did the charging cost breakdown to the nitty giddy.  But over the years when I used the superchargers and needed about 200+ miles charged it could range between $8-15.  I think it depends on if there are other Tesla's charging at the same time the per watt charge comes down, I really don't know.  

With my at home charger, I also never really broke it down to the penny and just by coincidence the month I installed my charger I also bought a hot tub!!  My electric bill did go up a lot, but I can say that was way more the hot tub than the Car.  I would trust Jimmy's calculations above for the F150 charger rates he did.  My house charger is a 240V and I have it program through the app to charge at the lowest off-peak hours of anywhere between 1 and 6 am.  I really don't think mine comes out to $15 per full charge (again my only charges up to about 250 miles) though I would notice that big time.  But again, like Jimmy, my electric cost are .12 cents this year per KWH.  

But rounding everything out I think we can say around $15 in electric vs about $50 for gas.  

Lastly, I would not recommend my Tesla S for anyone to buy in Alaska.  The new Tesla's might be different, and I know they have the winter package but my 2014 is not something I would want to drive in consistent cold weather.  Like others have stated, consistent cold temps, might be really bad for the battery.  I'm in Northeast PA and this cold front right now which has been 7 to 20 degrees' for about 2 weeks (although we had 2 days mixed in at over 40??) is Alaska cold but this is anomaly here, so the long term affects I am clueless on.  I would wait until there are much more improvement for this to be a vehicle in Alaska.  Like I said they are not for everyone but eventually I think they will be.  

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Akvike said:
Minny what is the cost per charge--or are you calculating fuel cost/charging as a push and there fore omitting that cost.
Up here in Ak. I can't wrap my mind around owning one due to distances and extended periods of single to double digits below zero.  And I'm curious how much a charge-up costs at these recharge stations hits someone
I did the math on the F150 I was considering.  assuming about a 3-5% battery recharge point,  to completely full (131kw was my starting size)  it worked out to be about $15 per charge at .11 per KW that we pay.  Now if my REA wasnt paying attention,  I could wire that load onto the electric heat side of my system and then it would be about half that since that rate is about .06 per kwh.  figuring that gas is around $3.25 here currently it is a pretty significant savings over gas... as long as you can get back to a charger before you run out and need to call a tow truck.

I am curious on the battery packs,  I have seen Teslas estimate that they can go 300,000K miles,  but I have also seen reports that harsh driving conidiations and climates can reduce that significantly and it can cost over 25K to have the batteries replaced,  I know it is currently about $7500 to get a new engine put in my truck so ?  plus and minuses to both.
Yea, I think the highest mileage Tesla on 1 battery is more then 400,000K.  I have just under 120,000K with about a 6% battery degradation for those 8 years meaning full charge used to be 265 and is now just under 250.  I just googled how much a new battery would be for a model S and it said between 13-14K all in so twice the amount of a new engine.  

Quote: @minny65 said:
@Akvike said:
Yea, I never really did the charging cost breakdown to the nitty giddy.  But over the years when I used the superchargers and needed about 200+ miles charged it could range between $8-15.  I think it depends on if there are other Tesla's charging at the same time the per watt charge comes down, I really don't know.  

With my at home charger, I also never really broke it down to the penny and just by coincidence the month I installed my charger I also bought a hot tub!!  My electric bill did go up a lot, but I can say that was way more the hot tub than the Car.  I would trust Jimmy's calculations above for the F150 charger rates he did.  My house charger is a 240V and I have it program through the app to charge at the lowest off-peak hours of anywhere between 1 and 6 am.  I really don't think mine comes out to $15 per full charge (again my only charges up to about 250 miles) though I would notice that big time.  But again, like Jimmy, my electric cost are .12 cents this year per KWH.  

But rounding everything out I think we can say around $15 in electric vs about $50 for gas.  

Lastly, I would not recommend my Tesla S for anyone to buy in Alaska.  The new Tesla's might be different, and I know they have the winter package but my 2014 is not something I would want to drive in consistent cold weather.  Like others have stated, consistent cold temps, might be really bad for the battery.  I'm in Northeast PA and this cold front right now which has been 7 to 20 degrees' for about 2 weeks (although we had 2 days mixed in at over 40??) is Alaska cold but this is anomaly here, so the long term affects I am clueless on.  I would wait until there are much more improvement for this to be a vehicle in Alaska.  Like I said they are not for everyone but eventually I think they will be.  
Get the Teslas with the glow plugs!  :p

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@greediron said:
@Knucklehead said:

BMW... KIA... three letter so close enough....whose gonna really know the difference,  right?
Well, I got that it was an electric car correct.

Seemed a bit counter productive to insinuate that you need to be a god of lightening to use an electric car.

Back on task...

If I had to pick one favorite ad:

Love this one too....

The amount of time spent to develop and make all those ads and the number of execs that had to sign off was long.

I though they were whiffs and  complete shit.

Quote: @Mattyman said:
The amount of time spent to develop and make all those ads and the number of execs that had to sign off was long.

I though they were whiffs and  complete shit.
agreed.  Of course it has to be hard to be in marketing right now with all the obligations and rules.