Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russia Russia Russia to war or not to war
Profit, Greed, Resources, Tyranny, Ideological...

Welcome to the dark side of humanity. 

We have certainly stuck American noses where they shouldn't be over the centuries.

And at times when it was right and we had no choice (i.e. Fascism & Genocide in Europe circa 30's/40's)

I'm not sure Putin is dumb enough to invade Ukraine? I hope not.

If he does, its the biggest bombshell over there since 45. 

He's going to invade, I hope we aren't dumb enough to get involved in this because this will be a fucking mess and soon.  Russia holds energy over Europe and knows it.  These are signs of desperate acts but desperate leaders.  Russia's exclusion has always put them on a path of Putin consolidating everything.  He is most likely the wealthiest man on the planet, with the second largest nuke stockpile, and a brain stuck in late Soviet era KGB.

Ukrainians are fucked, is a split Ukraine coming?  West joining NATO, east joining Russia?  Either way, I wouldn't be planning for a long future, there are very few off ramps for this act and a lot of potential ugly finishes.  

AMAZING how little US coverage we have seen of this press conference:

from r/collapse

nationalism, globalism and all kinds of ism's....

I dont want to ever see us get involved un-necessarily. But the world is so complex and (imo) interconnected. Look how quick frigging Covid spread and then variants spread. Small planet. 

Bin Laden who was allowed to fester in Afghanistan ultimately burned 9/11 into the history books forever. 

And I agree @Vanguard83, we need to do a much better job of taking care of our vets, its shameful. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
nationalism, globalism and all kinds of ism's....

I dont want to ever see us get involved un-necessarily. But the world is so complex and (imo) interconnected. Look how quick frigging Covid spread and then variants spread. Small planet. 

Bin Laden who was allowed to fester in Afghanistan ultimately burned 9/11 into the history books forever. 

And I agree @Vanguard83, we need to do a much better job of taking care of our vets, its shameful. 
9/11 the world changed. The patriot act and all its sucessors have turned our .gov into something it was never intended to be. 

This has looked imminent for a couple weeks...Now I think it really is

Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Sunday that Russia's "playbook" for an invasion of Ukraine is moving forward, though he said there still is a chance for diplomacy to avert a war.
"As we've described it, everything leading up to the actual invasion appears to be taking place," Blinken said on CNN's "State of the Union" on Sunday.
Ukraine's defense ministry reported more than 100 ceasefire violations in eastern Ukraine on Saturday and said that shelling continued into Sunday, while Russian troops remain in Belarus to continue military exercises that were supposed to have concluded.
Blinken told CNN's Dana Bash he was concerned that the extension of the exercises was another sign that Russia was setting the stage to invade, following "false-flag" operations this week and the accumulation of more than 150,000 Russian forces along Ukraine's border.

"Now they're justifying the continuation of 'exercises' that they said would end now, the continuation indefinitely of those quote-unquote exercises on the situation in eastern Ukraine -- a situation that they created by continuing to ramp up tensions," Blinken said. 

Still, Blinken said the US would continue to try to find a last-ditch diplomatic path. He said that President Joe Biden is willing to talk to Russian President Vladimir Putin "at any time, in any format" if it will help prevent a war, saying the Biden administration will continue to take whatever steps it can to try to convince Moscow not to invade Ukraine."We believe President Putin has made the decision, but until the tanks are actually rolling, and the planes are flying, we will use every opportunity and every minute we have to see if diplomacy can still dissuade President Putin from carrying this forward," Blinken said.

This has been boiling for some time and at it’s core comes down to the Russians having concerns about NATO countries on its door step. 
I’m still not certain they invade. It’s possible that this is an attempt at utilize leverage to get some sort of deal done regarding NATO. 
With that said, the only way to stop or limit an attack is to make it so costly to Putin, that he knows it will have a great impact on his ability to maintain power. As body bags start pouring home, the public reaction can change things pretty quickly. 

The US and other countries have provided some lethal defensive weapons. Probably the biggest need is anti-air weapons, but I’m not sure enough has been offered in that regard. Perhaps the Ukranians are confident in their own built systems. 
Either way, an attack will quickly upend global stability and we need to be prepared for it. I highly doubt we are, based on the performance of leadership recently.

And if you thought gas prices were high now??? 

That crafty Putin -- or not?

First he declares a few eastern provinces as sovereign, then will send troops in on a "peace keeping mission"

A decree signed by Russian President Vladimir Putin Monday, which recognized two-pro Moscow breakaway regions in eastern Ukraine, ordered Russian armed forces into the territories in what it called “peacekeeping functions.”
The US expects Russian troops could move as soon as tonight or tomorrow into Donbas for their so-called “peacekeeping” mission, according to a senior US official familiar with latest intelligence. 
The US is still seeing preparations for a potential broadening operation including loading amphibious ships and loading equipment for airborne units.
=====
French President Emmanuel Macron has condemned Russian President Vladimir Putin's decision to recognize the separatist states of eastern Ukraine, the Elysée Palace said Monday in a press statement.
"This is clearly a unilateral violation of Russia's international commitments and an attack on the sovereignty of Ukraine," the Elysée said.
Macron is requesting, "an urgent meeting of the United Nations Security Council and for the adoption of targeted European sanctions," the Elysée also said.
=====
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Monday said Russian President Vladimir Putin's recognition of separatist regions of eastern Ukraine is a breach of international law, further calling Moscow's move an “ill omen and a very dark sign.” 

Quote:"This is plainly in breach of international law. It's a violation, a flagrant violation of the sovereignty and integrity of Ukraine," Johnson said during a news conference at Downing Street focused on Covid-19.  
"It is a repudiation of the Minsk process and the Minsk agreements, and I think it's a very ill omen and a very dark sign," he said, adding that this is "yet another indication that things are moving in the wrong direction in Ukraine." 

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1495...wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2Feurope%2Flive-news%2Fukraine-russia-news-02-21-22%2Findex.html

Looks like Putin has moved Russian troops into two separatist regions.

Here we go again boys

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
Looks like Putin has moved Russian troops into two separatist regions.

Here we go again boys
But remember, this is a peace-keeping mission  :p