Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harbaugh flying in, Ryans out!

Quote: @NorthernCalVike said:
@HappyViking said:
@JR44 said:
@Vikergirl said:
He is interviewing on National Signing Day. 
That seems like big f u to Michigan and a pretty classless thing to do.  
Not sure Harbaugh has ever worried about being "classy".   Yeah, he's a bright football guy, but to me he comes across as a loud mouthed whiner when things don't go his way. 

I've never been a Harbough fan, and if he's our next coach... ah crap, I don't even want to think about it.
Im feeling the same way Happy - Im in the Bay Area, and got an upclose look at Jim while he coached the Stanford Cardinals and then the Niners. He is one weird Narcissist. And when I say Narcissist, he makes other Narcissist's look like compassionate people. His interviews on our local sports radio were some of the most bazaar chats I have ever heard from a HC of a pro sports team. Now, he was successful here, but at what cost? He does not like being told what to do, and he had a HUGE rift with the Niners GM Trent Baalke (who is a complete Douche in his own right) which was the downfall of the Niners and his NFL coaching career. I  would not trust him as our HC at all. talk about a guy who will alienate his players!! And you thought Zim was disfunctional at times with his players?? You aint seen nothing yet if JH comes here to run things.
I just came off of 3 years of not liking our HC to then go to Harbough would extend that exponentially.  I also think only college players would put up with his crap because they have to.  Pro players not so much.  

Whomever we hire as HC will be very telling on Kwesi's first big decision.  

Quote: @mblack said:
If he can consistently beat GB and the Bears and make us have meaningful games in the play offs (let alone get us to the Superbowl) I am in. At this point, I don't think I want Mr nice. I want someone who builds a team that wins games and gives us a legit shot at the Lombardi. 
Yes he's nuts. Maybe one of those crazy gifted people. I would take him for 3 or 4 years if he can turn this team into a winner.

Quote: @minny65 said:
@NorthernCalVike said:
@HappyViking said:
@JR44 said:
@Vikergirl said:
Not sure Harbaugh has ever worried about being "classy".   Yeah, he's a bright football guy, but to me he comes across as a loud mouthed whiner when things don't go his way. 

I've never been a Harbough fan, and if he's our next coach... ah crap, I don't even want to think about it.
Im feeling the same way Happy - Im in the Bay Area, and got an upclose look at Jim while he coached the Stanford Cardinals and then the Niners. He is one weird Narcissist. And when I say Narcissist, he makes other Narcissist's look like compassionate people. His interviews on our local sports radio were some of the most bazaar chats I have ever heard from a HC of a pro sports team. Now, he was successful here, but at what cost? He does not like being told what to do, and he had a HUGE rift with the Niners GM Trent Baalke (who is a complete Douche in his own right) which was the downfall of the Niners and his NFL coaching career. I  would not trust him as our HC at all. talk about a guy who will alienate his players!! And you thought Zim was disfunctional at times with his players?? You aint seen nothing yet if JH comes here to run things.
I just came off of 3 years of not liking our HC to then go to Harbough would extend that exponentially.  I also think only college players would put up with his crap because they have to.  Pro players not so much.  

History tells us NFL players were able to put up with him and he got them to the Super Bowl. I think this character thing is way over blown. There are many teams that are just trying to be relevant in the NFL. If you think a guy can help you get to the "promise land" there is no reason not to take a flyer on him cautiously. neither the Wilfs nor Kwesi are stupid.
regarding your dislike for Zim, it is interesting that the last three years you did not like him intersected with his worst three years as the Vikings coach. Everyone likes winning and a lot can be addressed/fixed/tolerated when you are winning. If there was anything that was close to a sure winning coach for the Vikings, Harbaugh is that.
Note: I also don't like his antics but I really don't care if he gets the team back to winning and especially competing for Championships not 8-8, 9-7 type records.

If anything the Bear rivalry will get even bigger. Doubt he would lose a game to them.

All this talk about his personality quirks, was any of this evident when he was a player or did they only become evident when he was named a HC?

Quote: @mblack said:
@minny65 said:
@NorthernCalVike said:
@HappyViking said:
@JR44 said:
@Vikergirl said:

History tells us NFL players were able to put up with him and he got them to the Super Bowl. I think this character thing is way over blown. There are many teams that are just trying to be relevant in the NFL. If you think a guy can help you get to the "promise land" there is no reason not to take a flyer on him cautiously. neither the Wilfs nor Kwesi are stupid.
regarding your dislike for Zim, it is interesting that the last three years you did not like him intersected with his worst three years as the Vikings coach. Everyone likes winning and a lot can be addressed/fixed/tolerated when you are winning. If there was anything that was close to a sure winning coach for the Vikings, Harbaugh is that.
Note: I also don't like his antics but I really don't care if he gets the team back to winning and especially competing for Championships not 8-8, 9-7 type records.
Well, I have been posting for 3 years that I was ready to move on from Zimmer.  I shouldn't have said I didn't like him what I meant was I thought he should have been let go the season after the Philly debacle.  I soured on him the Saints miracle and then Eagles slaughter and then a piss poor following season.  He was a good hire that I liked at the time, but he never improved into a HC he was a DC who micro-managed the Offense thus Peter Principle.  Honestly it was last year that I started to dislike him because I knew he was not going to improve as a HC.  I had no idea of the behind-the-scenes issues/communication with Spelly which were way worse than I thought.

Back to Harbaugh - just my opinion and of course Kwesi/Wilf might see it differentlySmile   I think Harbaugh is an example of the Peter Principle as an NFL HC.  Again, it's been a while for him in the NFL, and I think he should stay in the College ranks because they will have to put up with his hot-headed antics, immaturity or we will call quirks to be nice.  Wasn't he on Michigan's hot seat until this season?  

I think hiring Harbaugh would be a HUGE mistake for this franchise, but we all see what happens this week.  

I think Harbaugh is an example of the Peter Principle as an NFL HC.  
The Peter Principle is defined as rising to your level of incompetence in an organization, i.e. you get promoted to a job you aren't qualified for, usually by simply being there for a long time.

So you're saying that a guy who took over the San Fran job as his first ever NFL head coach gig, then turned a team that was losing around and averaged 12 wins a year for 3 years, was incompetent at being a head coach?

Quote: @Knucklehead said:
All this talk about his personality quirks, was any of this evident when he was a player or did they only become evident when he was named a HC?
Other than breaking his hand punching Jim Kelly?

@mblack said:
@minny65 said:
@NorthernCalVike said:
@HappyViking said:
@JR44 said:
@Vikergirl said:

I soured on him the Saints miracle and then Eagles slaughter and then a piss poor following season.   

This is where his wheels started falling off IMO. It was hard to see in the Saints game over the madness of the "miracle," but that Philly game was an obvious example of poor game plan and poor coaching IMO. 

And now, when you look back at that Saints game, what you see is pretty much a preview of what we saw this year. Up 17-0 at the half, Vikings dominated most of the game. But still somehow found a way to fall behind with less than a minute left.