Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BREAKING: Down to 2 for Viking's GM job?
Didn’t we already try an Andy Reid OC for a HC?  Been there, done that.

Between those 2, I lean toward Poles.  Just like that he's come up through the football side (specifically scouting).  Might keep us from any more of those 1st-round faceplants (Ponder, Kalil, Treadwell, Hughes, Bradbury...). 

Quote: @RS Express said:
Between those 2, I lean toward Poles.  Just like that he's come up through the football side (specifically scouting).  Might keep us from any more of those 1st-round faceplants (Ponder, Kalil, Treadwell, Hughes, Bradbury...). 
The game is football....hire the football guy....not the stock market one.

Im not sure I understand the “analytics” argument....... how do you measure heart, work ethic, determination, moxie, motor, and desire on some of these 22 year old kids from college? DI against DII prospects ?

Anyone care to look at Johnny Randle’s “analytics” or Thielen’s out of college?
versus say any of the “busts” that were highly scouted, touted and drafted?

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
Im not sure I understand the “analytics” argument....... how do you measure heart, work ethic, determination, moxie, motor, and desire on some of these 22 year old kids from college? DI against DII prospects ?

Anyone care to look at Johnny Randle’s “analytics” or Thielen’s out of college?
versus say any of the “busts” that were highly scouted, touted and drafted?
Vanguard, you're hired...

Poles would give me more peace of mind for obvious reasons...

The Wilfs are just crazy enough to put a Mensah in @ GM too. 

Either way? The Vikings and Eagan are going to be vastly different places soon. 

Quote: @Mighty mouse said:
@RS Express said:
The game is football....hire the football guy....not the stock market one.
Yes, this is where I am at as well.  I will add that this is not a Silicon Valley tech company hire where you play two-hand touch on your lunch break.  This is not the crazy wild let's take a wild chance on someone at the GM position IMO.  That is executive level range, and you don't take chances on someone who doesn't bring everything to the table.  I strongly think that the wilfs/Vikes will go with a Poles-type over the 33 year olds.  Those people are all very bright and driven of course but here is the thing "they don't know what they don't know".  You can't prepare someone and go through years of on-the-job training at the GM level.

Maybe you take a chance at the HC level but not at GM - IMO.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Poles would give me more peace of mind for obvious reasons...

The Wilfs are just crazy enough to put a Mensah in @ GM too. 

Either way? The Vikings and Eagan are going to be vastly different places soon. 
Guys like Mensah will become more prevalent in organizations, but right now not as GMs. They will doing exactly what he is doing in Cleveland. Guys with scouting backgrounds and have played football (college for Poles) are still going to be preferred for NFL GM roles IMO. 3-5 years from now? Yes, it could be even more analytical and guys like Mensah will break through. 

Mensah is highly intelligent, no doubt about that. But if these turn out to be the only two moving forward in this process, I'll be shocked if it isn't Poles. Poles was good enough to get a 2nd interview with the Giants, as well. 

And now the Bears have requested a 2nd interview with Poles.