Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raise a glass for Zimmer
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
honestly,  look at how much the stress of the job has affected him physically,  this may save his life.  I was noting how much weight he has gained the last couple year and thinking damn,  that  makes me feel good about myself, and thats not a good thing.  I hope he can step back,  find his old self, and come back to the game on his own terms, doing what he loves.
I'd be happy to be, ahem, doing what he loves.

He was the guy I wanted to be hired, an “old school” coach, tough / but who the players respected.  Thanks Zim, was fun while it lasted....except your last two years

I'll always have love for Zimmer, glad he got his first opportunity as a HC here.

Thanks for the memories, Zimmer.  Wishing him the best on the next chapter of his life.

*cheers*

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
@JimmyinSD said:
honestly,  look at how much the stress of the job has affected him physically,  this may save his life.  I was noting how much weight he has gained the last couple year and thinking damn,  that  makes me feel good about myself, and thats not a good thing.  I hope he can step back,  find his old self, and come back to the game on his own terms, doing what he loves.
I'd be happy to be, ahem, doing what he loves.
I would guess she is more of a distraction than what he loves.  If he gets back to that ranch and settles into a year of "retirement",  I think we will see in a year exactly how much or how little he enjoyed his job.

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
He was the guy I wanted to be hired, an “old school” coach, tough / but who the players respected.  Thanks Zim, was fun while it lasted....except your last two years
I loved the hire and enjoyed his defenses.  IMO in this offensive era of the NFL he just didn't work as a head coach simply because any successful OC was gone in a year.  That turnover hamstrung the team more than anything Zimmer did.

Dude was a defensive genius and deserves recognition with that.  The last 2 years were bad, partly because of the lack of talent/turnover at that DB position.  He needed DBs that had enough experience to understand and the willingness to buy into the team defensive system.  That isn't a knock on Zimmer, that is just something his defenses required.  

No doubt on the bad hands being dealt.   Seriously I think people forget how good Sharrif Floyd was becoming and to have a routine scope botched to destroy his career really hurt.   Floyd and Joseph were dominant in 2015 and poised to be that way for the next 5 years.  That was a killer.   Walsh missing that FG in the playoff game might of cost the Vikings a Super Bowl berth.   I didn't realize it at the time but now looking back I think the Vikings might of won out and would have been a good matchup vs Denver.  By then Manning was a shell of himself and I see the game playing out like the Seahawk playoff game.    Teddy's fluke injury as well.   Would he have turned out to be the guy?  Never know but the Vikings certainly would not have had to give up the draft picks they did to get Bradford.

I thought it was time to move on as well, but I’m not cheered by anyones firing. And it’s not like his tenure was smooth sailing.  Remember the whole Adrian Peterson saga, Teddy’s freak injury and the QB merry-go-round that followed. Sharif Floyd’s botched surgery, Covid bull crap. And on and on. Not an easy time for any coach. I wish him well, enjoy the ranch, family and a relaxing retirement.

Darren Wolfson
@DWolfsonKSTP
· 3h
Can only imagine how emotional the morning was at TCO. Tears definitely shed. Told Rick Spielman did address the team, Mike Zimmer did not. #Vikings

There's being a curmudgeon and there's being an asshole.

Zim was the latter.

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
Darren Wolfson
@DWolfsonKSTP
· 3h
Can only imagine how emotional the morning was at TCO. Tears definitely shed. Told Rick Spielman did address the team, Mike Zimmer did not. #Vikings

There's being a curmudgeon and there's being an asshole.

Zim was the latter.

No shit?  Zim didn't even address the team?.....
Really?