Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sigh
Quote: @VikingOracle said:
@comet52 said:
I grew up in Mpls, started school there over 50 years ago and don't remember any religion being taught at all, unless "under god" in the pledge of allegiance counts.   Matt Birk is peddling baloney.
I agree; Matt should come forward and explain when religion was first introduced into public education.  Then, he should read the Constitution.
Tone deaf by Birk. 

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
Over 4,000 religions in the world....

But mine is the right one.

Having taught for a long time, I can tell you how critical it is to keep religion, politics, and gender identification out of the classroom. 

Perhaps the focus should be critical thinking, problem solving and reasoning
Obviously you are an academic who believes in Science!

Could be a compliment or a put down depending on your political view and news sources Smile

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:

Having taught for a long time, I can tell you how critical it is to keep religion, politics, and gender identification out of the classroom. 

Not that I disagree, but how has that been working out lately?

IMO government run education is the issue.  What the govt funds, the govt controls.  And the govt only cares about more govt.

Politics Check
Religion Check
can somebody please call Birk a "cracker", so we can check Race off the do not discuss on this board list, to complete the trifecta?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Politics Check
Religion Check
can somebody please call Birk a "cracker", so we can check Race off the do not discuss on this board list, to complete the trifecta?

He’s a:sidewinding, bushwhacking, hornswoggling, cracker croaker!  :p

I find it impossible to believe a well educated man would say something so incredibly stupid. Are we sure he wasn't hacked? 

Quote: @greediron said:
@Vanguard83 said:

IMO government run education is the issue.  What the govt funds, the govt controls.  And the govt only cares about more govt.
I can make the opposite argument.  We have had the best educational system in the world until recently when politics/government started to starve it (beginning with teachers' salaries).  Think bout how many kids were in a class while you were growing up and compare it to today.  JMHO.

Quote: @Kentis said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Politics Check
Religion Check

He’s a:sidewinding, bushwhacking, hornswoggling, cracker croaker!  :p
“Now who can argue with that!”
 “I think we are all indebted to Gabby Johnson for clearly stating what needed to be said”

”RABBIDD!”

Quote: @greediron said:
@Vanguard83 said:

Oddly enough schools are now adopting “Social Emotional Learning” programs.
Programs like “Second Step”.

These are online lessons districts now subscribe to in order to teach things like self-esteem, cooperation, team building, positive thinking, gender, race, religious equity,
breaking “vicious cycles”, coping skills, etc.  They have scenarios for each skill, and students are shown examples of appropriate responses. Ethics based questions - What would you do if.....(There is a new student in your class and they dont know where to go for lunch....What are different ways to deal with someone who is bullying you or a friend)

Naturally there have been SOME teacher backlash, but I say if it helps just ONE KID in each class, then its worth it. Frankly, Id rather a student have coping skills and a positive self image then know the treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo

Quote: @StickyBun said:
....says the guy that went to a private Catholic high school in St. Paul. And then Harvard. Very in touch with the pulse of today's public schools.

[Image: eye-roll-ugh.gif]
I'd counter with the notion that a guy that went to a private Catholic HS...might've noticed the difference in mental health amongst his private school peers vs public school peers, back then, and is now opining.    
Its not implausible that being a product of private Christian education is a non-sequitur disqualifier on the subject, as you suggest.  

Harvard, tho. 
Harvard was begat as a very religious school. 
Original motto:  Truth (veritas) for Christ (christo) and the Church (ecclesiae)". 
New motto "Veritas" (truth)  << notice the drop of Christ and the Church. 

Or maybe you were angling that "a smart guy/Viking that went to Harvard, should "know better"".  

Regardless, disqualifying Birk's opinions because of his background is as "tone deaf" as you make his post to be.