Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Mac Jones Solidify His Gold Jacket Today?
Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
@Wetlander said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@pattersaur said:
Playing for a division crown… must be nice.

Jones played bad but he’s a rookie. What are Stafford and Cousins’ excuse?
With the Pats D we are 12-3 at worst. 

Rams are in first place in the NFC West. What's our point?
We used to have a defense as good as the Patriots are this season.  Problem is...  a couple years ago we decided to pay a QB a big percentage of our cap and don't have the luxury of a QB on a rookie contract anymore.  And our GM hasn't done a good job of replacing the expensive veteran defenders we had to let go to get under the cap.
Who do you want back? Rhodes? Waynes? Sendejo? 

Really?
I didn't see anything about getting anyone back but look at the choices made on defense? Tomlinson and Pierce have been underwhelming. Woods has been ok. Woods was dancing around after the interception instead of getting more yards. Breeland was awful. I am happy with Peterson. There are a hell of a lot of misses on defense. Too many and that is a huge issue.

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@Wetlander said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@pattersaur said:

We used to have a defense as good as the Patriots are this season.  Problem is...  a couple years ago we decided to pay a QB a big percentage of our cap and don't have the luxury of a QB on a rookie contract anymore.  And our GM hasn't done a good job of replacing the expensive veteran defenders we had to let go to get under the cap.

Really?
I didn't see anything about getting anyone back but look at the choices made on defense? Tomlinson and Pierce have been underwhelming. Woods has been ok. Woods was dancing around after the interception instead of getting more yards. Breeland was awful. I am happy with Peterson. There are a hell of a lot of misses on defense. Too many and that is a huge issue.
Remember at the beginning of the season we we told the defense was back after the retooling and we would not see such bad defense again around here. did we even dream getting back to top 10 defense? How time flies

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@pattersaur said:

Cousins is playing well. You should check out his stats. Who cares about the cap ramifications or inability to retool the team?
We all want the defense fixed. The team is trending the wrong direction because:
  1. We cant attract top end talent because we don't have the money and cap space
  2. Cant hold on to top end talent because see 1 above
  3. Cant draft enough good starting caliber players since we cant sign experienced players because of 1&2 above
  4. Cant get enough rookies ready to play. Why? See 3 above
Question: Why are we in near cap hell? I'll eave that up to you.
We have the 6th youngest roster and the youngest offense (24 years average) in the League

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@Wetlander said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@pattersaur said:

Really?
I get really tired of people latching on to one part of a post and taking t completely out of context, did you miss the part where I said our GM hasn't done a good job of replacing those veteran defenders?  Yes, Rhodes, Waynes, and Harris were all very good players for us.  Yes, if we kept Waynes and Harris our secondary likely would have been better the past two seasons.  We also cut Griffen and Robison for cap purposes as well as Linval Joseph.  It wasn't just our secondary that took a hit.

At the end of the day, we picked Cousins.  At that point, we made the decision to draft and develop to fit young players on cheap contracts around our QB.  The problem is Spielman has whiffed on both his CB picks in the first round and we haven't put an emphasis on replacing the pass rushers we lost.  Wonnum might have some promise, but it's been 3 years since we let Robison go and Griffen left the year after.

I know some love to fault Zimmer for everything wrong with this team, but Rick certainly shares as much (or more) of the blame for our defense going backwards.  We've taken a big step back in overall talent and all these 1-year bandaids on defense isn't a sustainable way for Zimmer to have a good defense. 

We can talk about these things and not be a dick to each other.  I'm not sure why everything has to be an internet battle.
You really think Rhodes, Waynes, Joseph, Harris, Griffen and Robison were let go because we paid Cousins so much? That's a huge stretch. I don't remember anyone complaining about letting any of them walk. With the possible exception of Joseph, the simple fact is that their performance and long-term potential no longer matched their value on the market. 

And your comment about Rick deserving "as much or more" of the blame is ridiculous. The Vikings have consistently built competitive rosters. You don't find too many teams with players like JJ and Dalvin and Thielen and Mattison and ISJ and Hunter and Pierce and Barr and Kendricks and Harry. It's the simple fact that this team IS so talented that Zimmer's failures stand out so much. 

It's not just Viking fans saying this. Every week the announcers mention how this is the best X-X team in the NFL. It really is. So why do we keep losing? Why is there a breakdown so fucking always? It sure as hell ain't Rick Spielman. LOL. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@Wetlander said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@pattersaur said:

Really?
I get really tired of people latching on to one part of a post and taking t completely out of context, did you miss the part where I said our GM hasn't done a good job of replacing those veteran defenders?  Yes, Rhodes, Waynes, and Harris were all very good players for us.  Yes, if we kept Waynes and Harris our secondary likely would have been better the past two seasons.  We also cut Griffen and Robison for cap purposes as well as Linval Joseph.  It wasn't just our secondary that took a hit.

At the end of the day, we picked Cousins.  At that point, we made the decision to draft and develop to fit young players on cheap contracts around our QB.  The problem is Spielman has whiffed on both his CB picks in the first round and we haven't put an emphasis on replacing the pass rushers we lost.  Wonnum might have some promise, but it's been 3 years since we let Robison go and Griffen left the year after.

I know some love to fault Zimmer for everything wrong with this team, but Rick certainly shares as much (or more) of the blame for our defense going backwards.  We've taken a big step back in overall talent and all these 1-year bandaids on defense isn't a sustainable way for Zimmer to have a good defense. 

We can talk about these things and not be a dick to each other.  I'm not sure why everything has to be an internet battle.
You really think Rhodes, Waynes, Joseph, Harris, Griffen and Robison were let go because we paid Cousins so much? That's a huge stretch. I don't remember anyone complaining about letting any of them walk. With the possible exception of Joseph, the simple fact is that their performance and long-term potential no longer matched their value on the market. 

And your comment about Rick deserving "as much or more" of the blame is ridiculous. The Vikings have consistently built competitive rosters. You don't find too many teams with players like JJ and Dalvin and Thielen and Mattison and ISJ and Hunter and Pierce and Barr and Kendricks and Harry. It's the simple fact that this team IS so talented that Zimmer's failures stand out so much. 

It's not just Viking fans saying this. Every week the announcers mention how this is the best X-X team in the NFL. It really is. So why do we keep losing? Why is there a breakdown so fucking always? It sure as hell ain't Rick Spielman. LOL. 
You. Complete. Me.

[Image: 0i26nclojo2u.png]

@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@Wetlander said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@pattersaur said:

Really?

You. Complete. Me.
get a room pervert.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@Wetlander said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@pattersaur said:

Really?

You. Complete. Me.
get a room pervert.
I've known MB for 20+ years now. We're down to just cuddling.

@JimmyinSD said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@Wetlander said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@pattersaur said:

Really?

You. Complete. Me.
get a room pervert.
I've known MB for 20+ years now. We're down to just cuddling.
Ha! Hell, these days I'll take what I can get. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@Wetlander said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@pattersaur said:

Really?

I don't think the defensive players were necessarily tied to Cousins. The front office wanted to cut back on the budget and get younger. That is why Joseph and BRob were moved on. Harris didn't want the franchise tag again and he wanted to move on. He wanted to get paid. Most people seemed convinced that Waynes was not worth it but he got paid in Cincinnati. Rhodes couldn't stay healthy here but now he is in Indy. I don't think he wanted to come back. Griffen needs to take care of himself. 

Pierce was out for a year. I don't think his ROI has shown to be worth much yet. Barr is overrated. He has been injured and this last game was his best in I don't know how long. I love Harrison but he disappeared a bit after that huge payday. I think some decisions are going to have to be made on the defensive side of the ball. Our corners are atrocious. We need defensive ends and linemen. I am not sure they can afford to pay Hunter. I love Kendricks. Dalvin is showing some wear and tear. I want the offense centered on Jefferson. 

There is talent on offense but there are still huge holes. The OL is still a mess and the depth is an issue as well. The draft has been problematic to say the least. The Titans have had a lot of injuries but they are in the mix. The Colts have had injury issues and are in play. It's not just about injuries.

A first time play caller is who Zimmer had as an option. He is basically learning to move on to somewhere else. The one year rentals are going to move on. So then what happens? There are holes on both sides of the ball and coaching deficits all around. I want more than trying to eek into the playoffs.