Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bert has a message...
I went to the largest high school in the state. When I was a sophomore we traveled to small towns to play their varsity teams. We got destroyed. Every time. I don't care how big your high school is, there is a HUGE difference between 15 year old kids and 17 year old kids. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
i support the message, but I got concussions playing flag football. a knee to the head when diving for a flag,  or just getting tripped up and having the back of your head hit the hard ground.. pretty much the same results as being padded up and playing the full contact version of the game.  now if they made kids wear helmets when they played flag football they might have something.
my son has played since he was five.  flag, under armour, NFL play 60, community, regionals..on and on.   our experience is There was greater risk of injury playing flag than tackle.  Once he started to strap it up, he has have a few contusions / bruises, but NOTHING on the level of when he played flag.

BTW.... The ONLY helmet I allow him to wear is a Xenith.

the inner “shock bonnet” patented design (that Riddell tried to buy) moves independent of the shell.  linear and rotational forces are minimized by the superior design.  He has dished out some MAJOR hits, and he pops right up, while the other kid is crab-walking sideways to the sideline.  

Xenith frankly is the best designed helmet money can buy IMO

Quote: @greediron said:
the flip side, watching my boys play football is one of my greatest enjoyments.  16 year old will be starting varsity this fall.
Absolutely !

Thats awesome Greed, Dont miss a single snap !

One thing a dad needs to consider....What does his SON want to do.

I begged my folks to let me play (both my older brothers did - one injured, another all-league) but they wouldnt let me.  They stuck a trumpet in my hand instead.

My son (like others) LIVES / LOVES football.  Its the ONLY reason he stays motivated in school, is for the few hours a day he “gets to play football”.  Managed to keep him lifting and training during COVID.   

If your son wants to play, let him

My youngest son was steamrolled by a teammate in practice in the 8th grade and got a concussion. The teammate was about 60 lbs heavier than my son.
He was out for about 6 weeks, and only played in 4 games that year.
His Freshman year he was hit on the side of the knee  during a game by his own teammate and tore his meniscus, ACL, and PCL. Initially the doctor said he’d probably never play sports again. He did end up playing baseball. 
He was an A/B student until the concussion, when he dropped to a low B student, then after the knee his grades dropped even more. Some of that due to missing school, some due to depression.

If I could go back in time, I’d encourage him not to play.

My oldest played all the way through college. He's already said he doesn't want his kids to play football. Honestly, before the start of every season I was a complete nervous wreck until that first hit. Never told him because I didn't want to influence his decision. 

When we played flag in mid 1970s we had Riddell helmets and full shoulder pads but wore jeans 3rd and 4th grade.   Then in 5th grade played tackle but they split us up into lightweights and heavyweights.   Did that until school ball started in 8th grade we again split up into LW and HW teams.   By 9th grade in 1982 they would cut the kids that were not big or fast enough.  Not only a performance but also a safety issue.   I guess they don't do that anymore?

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
My oldest played all the way through college. He's already said he doesn't want his kids to play football. Honestly, before the start of every season I was a complete nervous wreck until that first hit. Never told him because I didn't want to influence his decision. 
Good friend of mine played RB in college at the FCS level, 54 years old and has replaced both hips already.   Says he cannot fathom a guy like Adrian Peterson who played for a program like Oklahoma and then how many years in the NFL.   Guess I consider myself lucky I have a daughter but on that point concussions I think are kind of a mute point in all fairness in terms of football, soccer is REALLY bad for concussions as is field hockey/lacrosse which is actually really starting to take off where I live.  I think the disintegration of the body over time is more on point.

Quote: @Chuckf said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Good friend of mine played RB in college at the FCS level, 54 years old and has replaced both hips already.   Says he cannot fathom a guy like Adrian Peterson who played for a program like Oklahoma and then how many years in the NFL.   Guess I consider myself lucky I have a daughter but on that point concussions I think are kind of a mute point in all fairness in terms of football, soccer is REALLY bad for concussions as is field hockey/lacrosse which is actually really starting to take off where I live.  I think the disintegration of the body over time is more on point.
like I posted last week in another thread,   my epitaph should read "I wish I had discovered golf at an earlier age"  or "oops,  that didnt go as planned"

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Chuckf said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
like I posted last week in another thread,   my epitaph should read "I wish I had discovered golf at an earlier age"  or "oops,  that didnt go as planned"
NO DOUBT!!!