Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bert has a message...
https://twitter.com/ConcussionLF/status/...wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Fstory%2Fsports%2Fnfl%2F2021%2F08%2F17%2Fbrett-favre-warns-kids-tackle-football-cte%2F8166137002%2F

i support the message, but I got concussions playing flag football. a knee to the head when diving for a flag,  or just getting tripped up and having the back of your head hit the hard ground.. pretty much the same results as being padded up and playing the full contact version of the game.  now if they made kids wear helmets when they played flag football they might have something.

for most young kids, having the gear actually slows things down.  They are carrying too much gear to do any damage.  But the issue is when a man-child plays and is obviously so physically advanced.

Quote: @greediron said:
for most young kids, having the gear actually slows things down.  They are carrying too much gear to do any damage.  But the issue is when a man-child plays and is obviously so physically advanced.
This. When you have a 10 year old that weighs 140 lbs. playing RB and a kid weighing 85 lbs trying to tackle him full speed bad things can happen. 

I wonder if the "welfare" King Favre returned the money that he received from the State of Mississippi.  I also wonder if he was fined on top of what he owed or if there are any court proceedings in the works.

Probably none of the above it was swept under the rug rather quickly....nothing to see here Smile

Quote: @minny65 said:
I wonder if the "welfare" King Favre returned the money that he received from the State of Mississippi.  I also wonder if he was fined on top of what he owed or if there are any court proceedings in the works.

Probably none of the above it was swept under the rug rather quickly....nothing to see here Smile
lol, seeing the favre4flag tells me one thing, he is getting paid.

I agree with Bert. I started playing at 11 but I'm not letting my son play. He's 14. I keep telling him football is not one of those sports (like baseball) where if you don't learn the fundamentals at a young age you'll never catch up. It's just about size and speed. And the difference in sizes between 14 year olds is nuts. 

the flip side, watching my boys play football is one of my greatest enjoyments.  16 year old will be starting varsity this fall.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@greediron said:
This. When you have a 10 year old that weighs 140 lbs. playing RB and a kid weighing 85 lbs trying to tackle him full speed bad things can happen. 
Most organized youth football leagues have weight caps where kids over a certain age aren't allowed to carry the ball.  Our league was 120# for 5th and 6th grade.  Any kid over that size has to play line.

Quote: @greediron said:
the flip side, watching my boys play football is one of my greatest enjoyments.  16 year old will be starting varsity this fall.
15? 16? Sure, by then you're well past puberty and settled in to your size. 14? No. The size variation is too great.