Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which of these would have had the best shot at a Lombardi? 75,87,98,09?
Quote: @Skoldid said:
Hello, Purple People- this is my first post here.
It's a tough call, but I'm going with the '87 team. Wasn't that the NFCC game (vs. Washington) where 'Disco Darren Nelson' dropped the would-be game winner in the end zone as time expired?
I found it hilarious that the analysts all thought the Saints were a much better team than the Vikes, because they forgot about the 'scab' games! If you threw those out, the two teams had the same record.
Welcome @Skoldid...

I forget where I heard this, I think it was from and interview with Old Burnsie himself and it pertains to that 88 CG. 

Darrin didnt just muff that pass. The DB was able to knock the ball out of his hands from behind. If they made that throw and xtra point? The game goes into OT

But that DB was able to make that play on Nelson at the goal-line at all cause AC did not run his corner end-zone route deep enough, dragging that DB with him.

Shallow route by AC? meant that db could more easily cover Nelson at the goal-line. 

Football, the ultimate team game. 

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
2009 team would have easily beaten the Colts IMO. That team had it all except for the zebras
I thought with Favre, the Zebras would have for certain been on his side all year - and post-season. 

Quote: @kmillard said:
87 definitely. Would have destroyed Denver. Vikings up and coming young defense played with nothing to lose and it showed. Were never the same after that run. 
This. Denver would have been left in the dust.

After that, the 09 squad had the best chance at a win.

98 was so banged up after the NFCC game.

How about this year we go play Buffalo and give them loss #5? Or get some revenge for SB IV?

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@kmillard said:
87 definitely. Would have destroyed Denver. Vikings up and coming young defense played with nothing to lose and it showed. Were never the same after that run. 

How about this year we go play Buffalo and give them loss #5? Or get some revenge for SB IV?
True story...

It's 1998 and I'm at the AZ vs Vikings Divisional Round in Metrodome...

Game is well in control and I say to my buddy  "it's time for Denny to start pulling starters"

Randle gets hurt the very next f'ing play 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@kmillard said:

True story...

It's 1998 and I'm at the AZ vs Vikings Divisional Round in Metrodome...

Game is well in control and I say to my buddy  "it's time for Denny to start pulling starters"

Randle gets hurt the very next f'ing play 
Ugh

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Long as we're killing time till TC:

I know they're different era's of ball...

No, I didnt forget about 41/donut, Philly debacle. Just didnt seem those teams as being in the same realm as these 4. 

75 had Tark near his prime and that tenacious D. Some speak of this team as maybe the greatest of all the Vikings teams. 
Opponent: 76 Steelers 

87 had tremendous balance on O vs D. Who didnt luv Burnsie or Floyd Peters???
Opponent: 88 Bronco's

98...Not much more to be said here. But that team lost some key players (i.e. Randle vs AZ). 
Opponent: 99 Bronco's

09...Had Favre on fire, great balance but not the weapons on O 98 had. Maybe better balanced than 98.
Opponent: 10 Colts
It may have been rationalization to cope with the pain, but 98 could have been ugly against the Broncos.  Randle was playing on one leg, I think Eddie Mac was hurt.  Our D-line was pretty weak outside of Randle IIRC.

09 was our year.  Colts were rather weak.  Freeney played the first half gimpy and then basically was useless after the long halftime.  Rice and Favre were hot.  Harvin was a huge weapon, Adrian was still a workhorse.  

I don't  remember the 75 team, was only a wee lad.

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:

I was SCREAMING at Robert Smith....I know hes a “fan favorite”, but for all the talk we heard about “how smart he was” he sure made some stupid choices in the NFCC.  I mean C’mon....keep chewing the clock...stay in bounds.
he was too smart.  he made business decisions that day.

Quote: @greediron said:
@Vanguard83 said:

I was SCREAMING at Robert Smith....I know hes a “fan favorite”, but for all the talk we heard about “how smart he was” he sure made some stupid choices in the NFCC.  I mean C’mon....keep chewing the clock...stay in bounds.
no kidding.   too bad his “business” wasnt FOOTBALL.

Fundamental football here.  Cant do what even HS kids should know.
Never understood the slack he gets from Vikings fans. 

09 and 87 teams would have been favorites

09 would have been against Peyton but our DL was the best in the game at the time.  Throw in Brett and all the weapons, would have been a good chance at a ring

87 was on a roll, finally not playing “on the road”.  That defense was the best in football. A Super Bowl win here and you can add Browner and Thomas to the HOF. Most likely we never trade for Herschel either. 

98 was playing a tougher team but man on that stage, that offense could have exploded.  Would have been a shoot out, those Denver DBs while good were up there in age. 50/50 due to the injuries to Ed Mac and Johnny Randle

i also throw a shout out to the 2000 team. Sure they had the 41-0 freak game, but the matchup with Baltimore would have featured the strongest d vs the best o and on the flip side, an average at best O vs an average at best D.  What tripped up the 2000 Super Bowl?  MNF in Green Bay with a chipshot to win on 3rd down near the end of regulation, Berger fumbles the snap and then proceeds to throw a pick.  He falls on it, Anderson puts the next one through, we end up 12-4 and NY comes to the dome for the NFCCG.  Subsequently in overtime, the “he did what” Freeman catch ends the game. 

2017 would have faced Tom Brady but the whole world would have been pulling for Minnesota to win in their own stadium

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
@greediron said:
@Vanguard83 said:

no kidding.   too bad his “business” wasnt FOOTBALL.

Fundamental football here.  Cant do what even HS kids should know.
Never understood the slack he gets from Vikings fans. 
He didn't have a football heart.  He was talented as all get out, but injuries held him back, so when it came time to stay in bounds and take the hit, he chose to save his body.  

I don't think anyone gives him slack, it is one think always brought up about that game.