Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which of these would have had the best shot at a Lombardi? 75,87,98,09?
Long as we're killing time till TC:

I know they're different era's of ball...

No, I didnt forget about 41/donut, Philly debacle. Just didnt seem those teams as being in the same realm as these 4. 

75 had Tark near his prime and that tenacious D. Some speak of this team as maybe the greatest of all the Vikings teams. 
Opponent: 76 Steelers 

87 had tremendous balance on O vs D. Who didnt luv Burnsie or Floyd Peters???
Opponent: 88 Bronco's

98...Not much more to be said here. But that team lost some key players (i.e. Randle vs AZ). 
Opponent: 99 Bronco's

09...Had Favre on fire, great balance but not the weapons on O 98 had. Maybe better balanced than 98.
Opponent: 10 Colts

I know popular opinion will be ‘98.....Heres my case for ‘87

’87 was a strike season, the Vikings started strong, the game in Anaheim, Hassan Jones catches a hail mary from Wade Wilson for a huge win...both teams shook hands in solidarity for the strike, and games were played by replacements.....

The Scrubs who played for the Vikings lost every game.
the REAL team eventually made the playoffs despite the inept play of the scrubs.
but BECAUSE of the scrubs, we were on the road for the playoffs every week.

The Saints were chirping & we kicked the Hell outta them.  
No one could have forseen what we did at Candlestick to the ‘Niners...AC went off.

At the Redskins....against Doug Williams should have been a slam dunk, but after the huge upset in San Francisco, we just couldnt get the offense going, still, it was a dog fight and yet it still came down to the final drive.

we would have KILLED the Broncos (Just like the ‘Skins did)

’98

I was SCREAMING at Robert Smith....I know hes a “fan favorite”, but for all the talk we heard about “how smart he was” he sure made some stupid choices in the NFCC.  I mean C’mon....keep chewing the clock...stay in bounds.

’75

I was just a kid, but remember that they were a damn good team.  The Drew pushoff & Tarkentons dad passing away....

’09

Hopeful as always, great team, but now I just wait for us to lose in some new inventive way.  The late hits / bountygate added salt to the wound.

’09

Hopeful as always, great team, but now I just wait for us to lose in some new inventive way.  The late hits / bountygate added salt to the wound. 

Great take on Burnsies squad

Pack fans warned me all 09 Favre would break my heart...Pass across the body did just that. 

My $ would go on 98 or 09 teams. I think they would have had a best shot against Colts or Bronco's...76 Steelers were at the end of their Steel Curtain era, but still damn good.

I think that 88 Bronco team had a very good D too?

The odds of all 4 of those teams not winning the Superbowl must be huge. The odds of 3 of those teams not getting to the Superbowl is astronomical.
That's a good question because I can't make up my mind on choosing one and I have seen all these teams play.

87 definitely. Would have destroyed Denver. Vikings up and coming young defense played with nothing to lose and it showed. Were never the same after that run. 

'09.  EVERYBODY knew going in to the conference title games that Vikings/Saints was the real SB and the AFC winner was cannon fodder. 

I think if we had gone in '98 Denver still tops us.  That was Terrell Davis' 2,000 yd season and Ed McDaniel blew his knee in the playoffs vs AZ. Broncos also had Rod Smith, Ed McCaffrey and Shannon Sharpe.  IMHO Viking offense shows up better than ATL's did but the D still gets rolled for 30+ without McDaniel.

Thought John Randle got injured in ‘98 NFCC also

Hello, Purple People- this is my first post here.
It's a tough call, but I'm going with the '87 team. Wasn't that the NFCC game (vs. Washington) where 'Disco Darren Nelson' dropped the would-be game winner in the end zone as time expired?
I found it hilarious that the analysts all thought the Saints were a much better team than the Vikes, because they forgot about the 'scab' games! If you threw those out, the two teams had the same record.

2009 team would have easily beaten the Colts IMO. That team had it all except for the zebras

Interesting thing is that all of our opponents weren't dominant teams the way some of the others were (70 Chiefs, 73 Dolphins, 74 Steelers). The '88 Broncos weren't very good at all. Same with the '10 Colts.

Always felt that that '75 team was the best of the Vikings 70s teams. '98 was our best team, but the opponent would've been pretty good. '09 was banged up. I'll go '87. That team would've destroyed the Broncos much like Washington did.