Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OL Plan?
Man, I never figured Tony Sparano being gone would have such negative and long-lasting impact on the Vikings...

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Man, I never figured Tony Sparano being gone would have such negative and long-lasting impact on the Vikings...
It can't be just that. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@purplefaithful said:
It can't be just that. 
You're right, it's not the solo reason for their OL demise for so long. But this isn't a place I'd label as an environment for OL to thrive in either. 

That's where I think they miss Sparano the most. 

Maybe they're beginning to turn the corner now? I need to see more to be sure 

Dennison is the Richard Solomon of O line coaches.

I'm still hoping we can sign Forrest Lamp to fill one of those guard positions before the draft, otherwise you head into the draft with; Cleveland at LT, Bradbury at center, and O'Neill at RT.  I know there has been discussion of moving O'Neill to LT but I think that's risky after he took a step back last season.  I still don't know if he was playing through injury or not but he did not look as steady as he has been in previous seasons. 

Udoh is a wild card.  There are rumblings about him every offseason only for him to get zero playing time, so nobody ultimately knows where he's at in his development or if he can be counted on to be a factor. 

A possible Vikings FA OL target who’s still unsigned is Ben Garland.

He has played roughly 300 to 400 snaps each year from 2017-2020 with ATL and SF.

Grades:

2020: 71.1 overall, 65.7 pass block, 72.4 run block
2019: 71.6 O, 61.9 PB, 73.1 RB
2018: 71.6 O, 59.7, 78.6 RB

Seems like we're trusting the draft (assuming we draft OL) to fill our immediate needs. If we don't hit big there, our OL will be worse than last year. 

What I know: 

- Brian O'Neill can play either RT or LT. So you have a hole or at least a competition at one of the OT spots with Rashod Hill. 
- Bradbury is the center
- They plan to keep Ezra Cleveland at guard. But I think they feel comfortable with him at either LG or RG. 

So where do they go from here? 

The draft is going to be a major factor. I imagine they will sign at least one more guard or tackle. Which ever they sign they'll take a more developmental prospect. For the position they don't, they'll draft a solution in round 1 or trade back in round 1 to make that happen. 

Example: Sign Rick Wagner to play RT and draft Slater to play LG. 

A line of O'Neill - Slater - Bradbury - Cleveland - Wagner is improved from last season at a lesser price point. 

yes, because the Vikings musical chairs of o line shuffle has been such a sucess over the past 7 years.

[Image: 181imwmzsj4i.jpeg]
OL Plan?