Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OL Plan?
I know it's been discussed somewhat but thought maybe putting the discussion in one place might be helpful.

So, what is the plan for our OL? It was one of the worst last year and arguably the one that played the best is with another team. As it sits right now, our OL is even worse than last year. Do we have a basis for a trade with the Ravens for OB that will be exercised closer to the draft? Are we still hoping to pick someone up in FA? Tackles are pretty much gone. There are still a few possibilities for OG. Are we promoting our current players to starting positions when they couldn't breach the starting line-up of a an already bad OL last year? Are we just crossing our fingers for the draft? Something has to give. 

The plan last year was to go with Elflein and Dozier/Collins/Samia.
They felt so good with this arrangement that they did not draft an interior lineman until pick #253 last year.

They made this decision AFTER getting curb stomped by the 49ers in the playoffs in 2019.

I do not know why I am expecting something different.
I think the plan will end up being this ...

[Image: 8o5dtnp2h16n.png]

... then they'll grab a tackle in the 1st round and think they are set.

Quote: @PurplePastor said:
I know it's been discussed somewhat but thought maybe putting the discussion in one place might be helpful.

So, what is the plan for our OL? It was one of the worst last year and arguably the one that played the best is with another team. As it sits right now, our OL is even worse than last year. Do we have a basis for a trade with the Ravens for OB that will be exercised closer to the draft? Are we still hoping to pick someone up in FA? Tackles are pretty much gone. There are still a few possibilities for OG. Are we promoting our current players to starting positions when they couldn't breach the starting line-up of a an already bad OL last year? Are we just crossing our fingers for the draft? Something has to give. 
I don't think it's much of a mystery. They plan to add a starting guard in free agency and will very likely draft either a guard or tackle in the 1st couple rounds of the draft. The line on opening day will probably look like one of these....

Cleveland-AVT-Bradbury-Taylor-O'Neill
Darrisaw-Lamp-Bradbury-Cleveland-O'Neill
O'Neill-AVT-Bradbury-Cleveland-Udoh

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
They felt so good with this arrangement that they did not draft an interior lineman until pick #253 last year.

They made this decision AFTER getting curb stomped by the 49ers in the playoffs in 2019.

Do you mind if I pray against this?

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@PurplePastor said:

I don't think it's much of a mystery. They plan to add a starting guard in free agency and will very likely draft either a guard or tackle in the 1st couple rounds of the draft. The line on opening day will probably look like one of these....

How do you know they are adding a starting OG in FA? I'm not seeing Taylor in your first scenario. If they sign a FA OG, I would think they would want a decent run blocker at least. 

I am so sick of this General Manager malpractice when it comes to the Oline.  I like Rick Speilman but man this offensive line is just neglectful.

Quote: @PSBLAKE said:
I am so sick of this General Manager malpractice when it comes to the Oline.  I like Rick Speilman but man this offensive line is just neglectful. offensive.
Fixed it for you. Wink

@MaroonBells said:
@PurplePastor said:

How do you know they are adding a starting OG in FA? I'm not seeing Taylor in your first scenario. If they sign a FA OG, I would think they would want a decent run blocker at least. 
Run blocking isn't their problem. 

I know they're adding a starting guard because I know they've spoken to Forrest Lamp. And because they have to. And because it makes sense. Look, nothing the Vikings are doing should be surprising to anyone. 

Vikings are doing exactly what we all thought they would. Cut Rudy, Shamar, Bailey, FA1 will be a 3T, they'll add an OL in free agency and one in the draft. They'll add a safety in free agency and one in the draft. The only surprise to anyone was Patrick Peterson. 

@MarkSP18 said:

Not at all.

But the pickings are getting very very slim and they are nearing the mendoza line where Dozier resides.

The logical conclusion is they will feel the other players are not much of an upgrade and Dozier already knows the system.

We're doomed!

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:"
@PurplePastor said:
@MarkSP18 said:

Not at all.

But the pickings are getting very very slim and they are nearing the mendoza line where Dozier resides.

The logical conclusion is they will feel the other players are not much of an upgrade and Dozier already knows the system.

We're doomed!
Agree, you can almost hear Dennison saying that Dozier is as good as Lamp and other similar caliber FAs at this point.    It’s ridiculous.   Easy to see it might have been better to sign a cheaper FA CB for 4-5M and still have room for a decent guard at 3-4M like Aboushi from the Lions.