Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speculated Watson trade to Vikings
I am not the biggest fan of Cousins, but I haven’t seen a
lot of Watsons good side to say he’s in that top tier of QBs.  The few games I’ve seen he looked pretty mediocre,
but that differs from the consensus by quite a bit.

I think if you’re going to trade a top 10-15 QB in Cousins,
you should be expecting to receive at lease something in that 1st
and a day 3 pick range, and they’d extend him to get the salary reasonable.  I think if you’re trading Barr, you’d hope to
pick up at least a 3rd, but he’s coming off an injury with a massive
contract, so it’s a horrible time to trade him, but he very well could just get
cut anyway.  Mattison, while great, is
still just a backup RB.

I think the value is a little too rich for my blood here,
especially as it drags out into multiple years of draft picks.  I think if we start pruning off what we have
to give up, it’s more acceptable to me. 
I think 2 firsts, Cousins, Barr, Mattison, and a 3rd or later,
that’s more tolerable.

I think from a PR standpoint getting Watson would be a huge
win for the Vikings.  I think right now,
things are getting pretty stale.  People
are tiring of Zimmer, Spielman, and Cousins a bit.  If Zimmer, in the next year or 2, fixes our
defense to top 15 and we still fail to go deep into the playoffs (especially if
Cousins chokes late in the season), I think we could see a major housecleaning
where we start fresh after Cousins contract expires.  Watson would give us some newness to play
around with as fans and take some heat off Zimmer and Spielman.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Well, Watson was the most sacked QB in 2018 and 2019. Third most sacked last year. Not sure that additional mobility is buying anything.
I don't think it's a stretch to say Cousins best fit has been in Kubes offense, Same with Cook IMO

If Watson comes to Minnesota, does watson fit the same offense or is there change necessary?

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
Lolz, pass
Dumbest thing ever. Peter King is high. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
Lolz, pass
Dumbest thing ever. Peter King is high. 
Whaddya talkin bout? 3 team trades happen all the time! En stuff.

I wonder why he dropped Barr and Mattison into this proposal? Are either of them highly esteemed elsewhere? Mattison has done OK when he played, but I don't think we're hiding a superstar behind Cook. As for Barr, losing him feels mostly like cap relief for the Vikings, but I guess there are people who still think he could become Von Miller if only he was "turned loose".

The players included make it pretty palatable. I thought they would want something like Hunter and Jefferson.

Its baseless speculation until Houston even picks up the phone for any team. We'll see if anything changes by draft-day but I personally think they are going to make Watson sit before they consider moving him. Its somewhat riskless since he's still Deshaun Watson, his contract will toll, and when they start losing games the needle is going to swing on who is to blame. 

If you were to hold a NFL dynasty draft there is 1 player that would go before Watson, Mahomes. That is all. I can nearly guarantee you that Watson's future production (barring injury) will be better than 3-4 1st round picks unless you somehow turn 2 of them into future hall of famers. Yes, he is that good. 

Kirk won't be here is Watson is. Mattison has more value with Cook here. People shit on Barr all the time although I believe he's a good player. So the net cost for MN in this proposed deal is #14, a future 1st, and two 2nds. That is a damn bargain. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Awful lot for a QB who took a team with the #4 D and arguably the best WR in the game to a wildcard round exit. 
This would be the other Texas team "Herscheling" the Vikes for a second time. 

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Awful lot for a QB who took a team with the #4 D and arguably the best WR in the game to a wildcard round exit. 
This would be the other Texas team "Herscheling" the Vikes for a second time. 
Not sure how anyone can possibly see it that way. And I'm coming from the position of really liking Cousins as our QB. The Vikings are not giving up much here. A 29 year old linebacker we were prepared to move on from two years ago? And a BACKUP RB?  AND we keep our first rounder next year?  I think if/when the actual trade goes down we'll look at this trade scenario and laugh at how unfair it was....to the Texans. 

Feels very far-fetched that anything like this trade would happen, but  I’ll play along- of course I’d do that exact deal right now. 

I like Barr more than most here and Mattison probably a little less, but both are expendable. I agree with @Jor-El it seems odd to even include them. If Houston actually wanted Mattison the Vikings would probably trade him to them straight up for a 4th right now.

As far as the picks, yeah it hurts losing them but I’d get over it. Considering we’d probably have to trade away a similar haul just to crack the top 5 and draft Justin Fields this year, I’d say getting the sure thing in Watson is a good move.

Plus, the year this trade hurts the most is in 2023 where we lose our 1st and 2nd picks, but you have 3 yrs before then to get one or both of those picks back.

I can’t figure out if this board is down on Watson or too high on Cousins but the gap between them is a lot wider in my mind than some are suggesting. Kirk is good. Watson is elite. 

Quote: @pattersaur said:
Feels very far-fetched that anything like this trade would happen, but  I’ll play along- of course I’d do that exact deal right now. 

I like Barr more than most here and Mattison probably a little less, but both are expendable. I agree with @Jor-El it seems odd to even include them. If Houston actually wanted Mattison the Vikings would probably trade him to them straight up for a 4th right now.

As far as the picks, yeah it hurts losing them but I’d get over it. Considering we’d probably have to trade away a similar haul just to crack the top 5 and draft Justin Fields this year, I’d say getting the sure thing in Watson is a good move.

Plus, the year this trade hurts the most is in 2023 where we lose our 1st and 2nd picks, but you have 3 yrs before then to get one or both of those picks back.

I can’t figure out if this board is down on Watson or too high on Cousins but the gap between them is a lot wider in my mind than some are suggesting. Kirk is good. Watson is elite. 
I like Deshaun a lot, i'm just anti giving up a ton of early picks because our OL/DL is dogshit. This would mean we would either have to get lucky with later round OL prospects or get FA OL to sign with us in the offseason...both of those options don't happen to the Vikes very often.

At the end of the day we would have a highly paid good QB who continues to be pressured and sacked and we cant get back to the NFC Championship game. A lot of folks on here think Watson would be our savior but I dont think any QB this past season gets the Vikes more than 1 playoff win, not even Mahomes.