Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speculated Watson trade to Vikings
https://purpleptsd.com/howdeshaunwatsoncanjoinvikings/ 
A Massive Outgoing Haul for WatsonThis is what the trade would resemble according to King. It involves a three-way trade between the Vikings, 49ers, and Texans:
“The Vikings send quarterback Kirk Cousins to San Francisco. The Niners send Garoppolo to Houston, if, of course, he’d waive his no-trade. The Texans send Watson to Minnesota. In return: the Niners send their first-round pick in 2021 (12th overall) to Houston, and they’re out. (So San Francisco would be trading Garoppolo and a one to Houston and getting Cousins with two years left on his contract.) The Vikings would send linebacker Anthony Barr and running back Alexander Mattison plus their first-round picks in 2021 (14th overall) and 2023, and second-round picks in 2022 and 2023 in exchange for Watson. Houston’s haul: Garoppolo, two ones this year, a one in 2023, and two second-round picks.”

Awful lot for a QB who took a team with the #4 D and arguably the best WR in the game to a wildcard round exit. 

Other then Watson having more "it factor" is he 2x 1st round picks, 2x 2nds, Barr and Mattison better then Cousins?  Hell if I was Houston, I'd take a deal like that in a heartbeat.  Flop this coming year with Garoppolo, get a high pick in 22 for a QB and put together one hell of a roster around them. 

Lolz, pass

Here's a better way to look at that trade.  Would you feel the bear or lions go screwed with that deal? 

I sure would.  I'd be happy to face Watson 2x a year with limited resources.

Yeah, I'd lean to sticking with what we have. We're not far off as we currently stand (at least IMO), but if this trade were to happen we'd have a QB with a higher cap hit (I think) and limited resources to build around him.

Quote: @"PurpleCrush" said:
https://purpleptsd.com/howdeshaunwatsoncanjoinvikings/ 
A Massive Outgoing Haul for WatsonThis is what the trade would resemble according to King. It involves a three-way trade between the Vikings, 49ers, and Texans:
“The Vikings send quarterback Kirk Cousins to San Francisco. The Niners send Garoppolo to Houston, if, of course, he’d waive his no-trade. The Texans send Watson to Minnesota. In return: the Niners send their first-round pick in 2021 (12th overall) to Houston, and they’re out. (So San Francisco would be trading Garoppolo and a one to Houston and getting Cousins with two years left on his contract.) The Vikings would send linebacker Anthony Barr and running back Alexander Mattison plus their first-round picks in 2021 (14th overall) and 2023, and second-round picks in 2022 and 2023 in exchange for Watson. Houston’s haul: Garoppolo, two ones this year, a one in 2023, and two second-round picks.”
I'd do that. We sign Wilson to replace Barr, Boone replaces Mattison and we draft another back in the middle rounds. Cap hit at QB for 2021 goes down nearly $15M (goes up big in 2022 but still less than Cousins' 22 hit), giving us the money we need to sign OL and DL help. And we still have our 1st rounder in 2022 to draft our WR3. In exchange we get a 25 year old franchise QB who would probably play another 10 years and totally change the way we play offense. I think Cousins is probably the most underrated QB in the NFL, but this is a no brainer for me.

I heard Daniel Jeremiah the other day talk about an extreme scenario where he wondered if Watson wasn't worth even FIVE 1st rounders. But that's a direct shot at the crapshoot nature of draft picks, which I totally agree with. He used Oakland as an example: Would you not trade their last 5 1st round picks for Watson? Who were they? Ruggs, Clelin Ferrell, Kolton Miller, Gareon Conley and Karl Joseph. Yeah, you would. What about the Vikings? A little harder to swallow since we just drafted a superstar, but would you trade Jefferson, Bradbury, Hughes, Treadwell and Trae Waynes for DeShaun? I think you would. 

I would do that trade if we dropped the future 2nds and instead included a 3rd and 4th this year (basically the same valuation).

It would be a move for the long-term where we'd be getting a better (and younger) QB to build around for the next decade. I guess it depends on what you think of Cousins and the status of the team...  if you think we're close to being a contender with Cousins, you probably hate that trade.  If you think we're still a year or two away, you probably are in favor of it.

I honestly think it would be a minor step back to take some giant leaps forward in 2022 and beyond.  We are probably going to need to do something with Barr anyways...  I like Mattison a lot, but this team is good at finding good backup RBs...  giving up 2 firsts, Cousins, and two mid-round picks this year is worth the upgrade considering we'd have our full draft next year and only be missing our 1st in 2023.

I just have no idea if this is even financially feasible with the cap hits these teams would take with the trades. 

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:

It would be a move for the long-term where we'd be getting a better (and younger) QB to build around for the next decade. I guess it depends on what you think of Cousins and the status of the team...  if you think we're close to being a contender with Cousins, you probably hate that trade.  If you think we're still a year or two away, you probably are in favor of it.
Well....I think we're close to being a contender with Cousins if we can find a league average guard to improve his protection. I also think that if he goes to the 49ers, the 49ers get a lot better and a team we won't want to see in the playoffs. But I also think that Watson is a big upgrade in terms of age and mobility and we'd be fools for not exploring it. With Jefferson, Thielen, Dalvin and Watson, you have to think this would be an instant Super Bowl contender....and renders the protection a little bit less important. 

Well, Watson was the most sacked QB in 2018 and 2019. Third most sacked last year. Not sure that additional mobility is buying anything.