Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 all those who want to trade Kirk Cousins to SF (a rumor, no legs), for a 1st & | VikeFans.com
Quote: @pattersaur said:
@MarkSP18 said:
Regardless of whether or not the Vikings trade Cousins, they have to have some kind of plan to navigate that $45M cap hit in 2022 that they created for themselves.

Extending him again when he will be 35 years old in 2023 is really not something I would do or recommend.  We are talking Matt Ryan.

The questions are can Cousins play at this level at age 35, will he continue to avoid injury (knock on wood), how much will it cost, and does it make a ton of sense?

The draft next year at QB is weak.  The players being mentioned may not come out and many are small physically.

They could add two void years to Cousins deal to lower his cap hit in 2022 and take dead money hits in 2023 & 2024.

But that still does not address who would be next at QB.  

I would hate for them to wait until 2023 to try and find a QB.

That is who we ended up with Ponder.

I agree with you. These are all very compelling reasons why drafting a young QB or looking for other options make sense. I hope the Vikings do that.
The reason they probably won't are also compelling. The QBs available are either 1- mostly unattainable and unknown (the top rookies) or 2- worse than Kirk.

The only exception to these is Deshaun Watson, and he will be EXPENSIVE. Plus, there's no guarantee the Texans would want Kirk back in return. They probably wouldn't. So that then becomes really hard to work something out.
For these reasons the Vikings are stuck with Kirk unless something falls into their laps. We just have to hope both Kirk and the team keep getting better I guess, and then maybe his extension in 2 years will be more palatable when it happens.
You didn't mention the other compelling reason they probably won't draft a top QB: because it will take resources away from trying to win - IN 2021 -  with the current QB and roster.

IMO it's pretty rare that a team drafts a first-round QB  while they still have an established starter and are NOT rebuilding. Yeah, I know, the Packers did it and got Rodgers while they had Favre and are trying to do it again. We'll see if it works out with Love. And of course Andy Reid drafted Mahomes when he had Smith and a playoff contender. Prior to that, the only case I can think of is the Vikings picking Daunte Culpepper in 1999. 

I know some people are going to say, YES we want to get a Rodgers or Mahomes! But that's pretty damn rare, and think about the impact of those picks. Favre was 35 when they picked Rodgers and it pissed him off and he left. Could he have led them to another championship? Seemed like it to me. And does anyone remember how we all felt about drafting Culpepper? Or should I say, drafted Culpepper instead of Jevon Kearse??? We had a championship team that really lacked a pass rush and we passed it up to "address who would be the next QB". Daunte worked out for us eventually, but would you have preferred another run at the Super Bowl?

I just don't think the Vikings are in an acknowledged "rebuild". IMO their attitude is that adding another player or two in the draft could support a playoff run with Cousins at QB. Drafting a 1st-round QB means they are kind of giving up on contending with Cousins. That was true even in the cases of the Packers drafting Rodgers and Chiefs drafting Mahomes.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@pattersaur said:
@MarkSP18 said:
Regardless of whether or not the Vikings trade Cousins, they have to have some kind of plan to navigate that $45M cap hit in 2022 that they created for themselves.

Extending him again when he will be 35 years old in 2023 is really not something I would do or recommend.  We are talking Matt Ryan.

The questions are can Cousins play at this level at age 35, will he continue to avoid injury (knock on wood), how much will it cost, and does it make a ton of sense?

The draft next year at QB is weak.  The players being mentioned may not come out and many are small physically.

They could add two void years to Cousins deal to lower his cap hit in 2022 and take dead money hits in 2023 & 2024.

I agree with you. These are all very compelling reasons why drafting a young QB or looking for other options make sense. I hope the Vikings do that.
The reason they probably won't are also compelling. The QBs available are either 1- mostly unattainable and unknown (the top rookies) or 2- worse than Kirk.

The only exception to these is Deshaun Watson, and he will be EXPENSIVE. Plus, there's no guarantee the Texans would want Kirk back in return. They probably wouldn't. So that then becomes really hard to work something out.
For these reasons the Vikings are stuck with Kirk unless something falls into their laps. We just have to hope both Kirk and the team keep getting better I guess, and then maybe his extension in 2 years will be more palatable when it happens.
You didn't mention the other compelling reason they probably won't draft a top QB: because it will take resources away from trying to win - IN 2021 -  with the current QB and roster.

IMO it's pretty rare that a team drafts a first-round QB  while they still have an established starter and are NOT rebuilding. Yeah, I know, the Packers did it and got Rodgers while they had Favre and are trying to do it again. We'll see if it works out with Love. And of course Andy Reid drafted Mahomes when he had Smith and a playoff contender. Prior to that, the only case I can think of is the Vikings picking Daunte Culpepper in 1999. 

I know some people are going to say, YES we want to get a Rodgers or Mahomes! But that's pretty damn rare, and think about the impact of those picks. Favre was 35 when they picked Rodgers and it pissed him off and he left. Could he have led them to another championship? Seemed like it to me. And does anyone remember how we all felt about drafting Culpepper? Or should I say, drafted Culpepper instead of Jevon Kearse??? We had a championship team that really lacked a pass rush and we passed it up to "address who would be the next QB". Daunte worked out for us eventually, but would you have preferred another run at the Super Bowl?

I just don't think the Vikings are in an acknowledged "rebuild". IMO their attitude is that adding another player or two in the draft could support a playoff run with Cousins at QB. Drafting a 1st-round QB means they are kind of giving up on contending with Cousins. That was true even in the cases of the Packers drafting Rodgers and Chiefs drafting Mahomes.
Yep, I agree. And the next counterpoint would be that contending and winning the Super Bowl are 2 different things.

Quote: @JR44 said:
Awful point, do you stay in a just okay relationship, because all your others were bad? 

Never underestimate the power of "getting some" on a regular basis.  Wink

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@pattersaur said:
@MarkSP18 said:

The franchise has rarely been in an era of  true rebuild.  We have been lucky enough to have some GREAT football players that keep average teams good, and bad teams average.  Thats why we are 4th in team Winning percentage (modern era) yet no rings.  Good rosters with a super star player never get access to franchise QBs unless you are paying for them (Favre) or trading for them (Moon).  That comes at a cost and typically it is a short window of opportunity.