Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seems obvious Vikings are on the Cousins train
Quote: @AGRforever said:
@Vikergirl said:
If he gets better protection and if they move forward to a more modern offense. They have to take off the training wheels and let it rip, otherwise they won't progress. 
We were 14th in passing and 5th in rushing this year.  

We were also 4th in total offense. We were only 16 yards per game behind the top team in Kansas City.

Cousis and the offense didnt screw the pooch this year. If Zimmer is to remain coach he needs to figure out WTF went wrong on defense and fix it. The offense is playing at a playoff caliber level. 
In as much as I agree with you, stats don't tell the full story. There are at least two games we lost because we could not convert a first down (the Seattle one still stinks). The offense is good but not reliable/consistent. Consistency is what I think we need on offense. The numerous 3 and outs or inability to get first downs in critical moments were very frustrating.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@Jor-El said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Jor-El said:
@Purplewhizz said:
Just for clarity, Cousins salary is $28M next season, ranking 12th in the league.  It’s pretty average at this point and manageable.  There are plenty of other areas money is being worse spent on this team.  
I completely agree that there are other areas where spending is worse here, and Cousins's 2021 salary is manageable and justifiable in the NFL salary ecosystem.

The problem isn't his 2021 salary - it's his 2022 contract, where he is #1 in both salary ($35M) and especially cap hit ($45M). 

But worst of all: his 2022 is guaranteed unless we cut him before the 2021 season (before the draft even). That's what's so tragic about the extension he was given - we have to "buy" him for the next 2 seasons, not just 1.
I've been preaching this since summer and it doesnt seem to sink in for many,  if they stay with him for 21, it could seriously affect what we can do in 2022 as well since we dont know where revenue will be this coming season and how that will affect the 2022 cap.   I know I was hearing last night that major concert organizers arent booking any bands for large venues at least through the summer and taking a wait and see approach on fall dates.  
You're probably the one who got it through my head, Jimmy.

It always seemed like some kind of poison pill, but I don't really know why. TBH I think the intent was to "almost" completely guarantee the entire contract - without generating the attention that came with completely guaranteeing his entire contract when we signed him in 2018.
Don't worry, a quick restructure after 2021 and then we're only tied to Cousins through 2025. While we're at it let's lock up Mannion too.
At the bold: That's another "genius" move from our front office

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I'd love to see the team draft a QB in this Draft, I just don't know if it'll happen.
If you mean in the third round or beyond then maybe we draft a QB.
The current Spelly/Zimmer regime thinks we have a window for a SB run in the next 2 years with Cousins contract, I don't.

What I keep trying to stress in numerous posts is we need a change in strategy and thinking from the Top down.  This draft looks to be different at QB.  I am 99% of the time in favor of moving around a little to get our guy or getting lucky like Eagles taking Reagor over JJeff.  I think Spelly is a very good drafter and an above average GM as a whole. 

But again, the opportunity of 5+ potential first round quarterbacks in combination of us picking 14th does not happen when we want or need a QB.  We all knew the year we picked Ponder and Bridge that we "needed" a QB and were going to draft one very high.  That strategy/approach alone is of need/have to, no matter if that particular draft has a stud QB we would have rated even if we didn't need one.  It is a supply and demand game at QB.  We all know the draft is a complete crapshoot and we can list players who have been selected at number 1 to 32 that were complete busts.  I am a proponent of taking "our" best evaluated player 99% of the time.  But QB is different in this class - IMO.  The supply is there and that depends on our brass of Spelly/Zimm etc to seriously being open to drafting one of those top QB's if they evaluate worthy of pick 5-13 then move the F'up for him.  But I am about 95% sure that we won't because of the 2 year Cousins window/contract approach.

So IMO we have two approaches: 
1 - New thinking and probably new personnel (GM/HC) who approach this draft differently at the QB position because this QB draft is different (again, in my strong opinion)
2 -Same old same old because Spelly/Zimmer are committed to being right over the next two seasons.

So in 2 years when we desperately need a QB we will "hope" that their will be a supply but most likely we will do the desperation reach or sign a Matt Cassel, Bradford, Freeman, McNair, Keenum etc.  

Quote: @mblack said:
@AGRforever said:
@Vikergirl said:
If he gets better protection and if they move forward to a more modern offense. They have to take off the training wheels and let it rip, otherwise they won't progress. 

We were also 4th in total offense. We were only 16 yards per game behind the top team in Kansas City.

Cousis and the offense didnt screw the pooch this year. If Zimmer is to remain coach he needs to figure out WTF went wrong on defense and fix it. The offense is playing at a playoff caliber level. 
In as much as I agree with you, stats don't tell the full story. There are at least two games we lost because we could not convert a first down (the Seattle one still stinks). The offense is good but not reliable/consistent. Consistency is what I think we need on offense. The numerous 3 and outs or inability to get first downs in critical moments were very frustrating.

So true, and I'm sitting here reading all these glowing reviews of Cousins and thinking, "Are we the same board that was ready to waive Cousins outright, or even trade him with a high draft pick to a team that would take his contract, when he threw 10 INTs in the first 6 games???" The universal opinion 3 months ago was that Cousins was DONE, worse than Ponder. 

I really can't explain how he threw only 3 more INTs in the last 10 games, but he had the same terrible start in 2019, and more of us should be screaming about lack of consistency - or at least damn concerned about it. He isn't as bad overall as we feared at times, but he also isn't as good as his stats suggest.

@AGRforever said:
@Vikergirl said:

their inability to get 1 yard when the defense knew that was what we were going for and yet they still would try and run up the middle... holy shit that was maddening to watch all year.

Quote: @minny65 said:
@StickyBun said:
I'd love to see the team draft a QB in this Draft, I just don't know if it'll happen.
If you mean in the third round or beyond then maybe we draft a QB.
The current Spelly/Zimmer regime thinks we have a window for a SB run in the next 2 years with Cousins contract, I don't.

What I keep trying to stress in numerous posts is we need a change in strategy and thinking from the Top down.  This draft looks to be different at QB.  I am 99% of the time in favor of moving around a little to get our guy or getting lucky like Eagles taking Reagor over JJeff.  I think Spelly is a very good drafter and an above average GM as a whole. 

But again, the opportunity of 5+ potential first round quarterbacks in combination of us picking 14th does not happen when we want or need a QB.  We all knew the year we picked Ponder and Bridge that we "needed" a QB and were going to draft one very high.  That strategy/approach alone is of need/have to, no matter if that particular draft has a stud QB we would have rated even if we didn't need one.  It is a supply and demand game at QB.  We all know the draft is a complete crapshoot and we can list players who have been selected at number 1 to 32 that were complete busts.  I am a proponent of taking "our" best evaluated player 99% of the time.  But QB is different in this class - IMO.  The supply is there and that depends on our brass of Spelly/Zimm etc to seriously being open to drafting one of those top QB's if they evaluate worthy of pick 5-13 then move the F'up for him.  But I am about 95% sure that we won't because of the 2 year Cousins window/contract approach.

So IMO we have two approaches: 
1 - New thinking and probably new personnel (GM/HC) who approach this draft differently at the QB position because this QB draft is different (again, in my strong opinion)
2 -Same old same old because Spelly/Zimmer are committed to being right over the next two seasons.

So in 2 years when we desperately need a QB we will "hope" that their will be a supply but most likely we will do the desperation reach or sign a Matt Cassel, Bradford, Freeman, McNair, Keenum etc.  
Oh and BTW, drafting a QB high is not necessarily jumping off the Cousin's train.  Cousin's contract sucks for next year which is really a 2 year.  But a rookie contract is usually a decent bargain that will offset the money for Cousin's.

Oh and wanting a change at HC does not necessarily mean Spelly has to go as well.  

Oh and wanting a QB high does not mean I am giving up for next season.  If we pick a 3T, G, DE at 14 is that necessarily going to put us over the top?  Again, the draft is a complete crap shoot at every draft position.  We have many other wholes to fill and they will mostly be filled in various ways like current player development, trade, free agent signings, and then this draft.  We could draft a HOF 3T/G at 14 and will he be good enough to get us over the Top?  Did the record setting JJeff put us over the top this year?  But if we draft a Pro Bowl/HOF QB will that be enough to put us over the Top?  Probably and for a long period of time.  Risk vs Reward.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@mblack said:
@AGRforever said:
@Vikergirl said:

their inability to get 1 yard when the defense knew that was what we were going for and yet they still would try and run up the middle... holy shit that was maddening to watch all year.
You seriously are trying to get me pissed off all over again.  Confused

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
GB should have helped Rogers with a WR this past draft. Instead they had conviction on a QB and took Love. Wont help them a bit this year, or next. Time will tell if that was a good move or not. But they had the conviction to do it. 

All that said, we're certainly not GB....

I'll parrot myself and say if the front office has conviction on a kid @ QB, I hope they pull the trigger. They will have a lot of improvement alone through getting 3 FOUR heavy hitters back on D,  getting rid of Malouf and baby corners having a year under their belts. 
Did they, or did they light a strategic fire under Rodgers’ moody little ass? Because if that’s what they did, it’s worked extremely well!  Wink  B)

@AGRforever said:
@Vikergirl said:

Ah yes, the game that our defense gave up 27 second half points and we lost. Or maybe there is something different the offense or kirk could have done vs the Titans when they scored 22 second half points, including a 55 yarder with 1:44 left in the game. 

Kirk isnt perfect and can certainly be frustrating at times, but stop making him the scapegoat. Broken record around here

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@mblack said:
@AGRforever said:
@Vikergirl said:

Ah yes, the game that our defense gave up 27 second half points and we lost. Or maybe there is something different the offense or kirk could have done vs the Titans when they scored 22 second half points, including a 55 yarder with 1:44 left in the game. 

Kirk isnt perfect and can certainly be frustrating at times, but stop making him the scapegoat. Broken record around here
You must have made a mistake on the post you quoted. In my post above, I said the offense was not consistent in some critical moments. I did not blame Cousins.