Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Yellowstone
Great show, some of the best characters on tv.  Hope you enjoy.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@Vanguard83 said:
Will have to check it out.  We just finished "Queen's Gambit".  Was awesome.
Queens Gambit was terrific! 

I fell deeply in love with Anya Taylor Joy over the course of that series. 
We crushed The Queens Gambit as well...really enjoyed that show. We also just went through Schitts Creek and really enjoyed that show. Running out of Netflix ideas if anyone has some good shows they would recommend.

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@purplefaithful said:
@Vanguard83 said:

We crushed The Queens Gambit as well...really enjoyed that show. We also just went through Schitts Creek and really enjoyed that show. Running out of Netflix ideas if anyone has some good shows they would recommend.
Queen's gambit was amazing. Schitts Creek looks like something I'll like, but haven't yet watched. "I'm not ok with this" was good. It's like a high school version of Stranger Things. Same style. 

I love crime and investigation stuff, so I really dug the Mindhunter and Manhunt things. Two seasons each. Manhunt: Unabomber might be the best thing I've ever watched on Netflix. Season two isn't as good. It's basically Clint Eastwood's Richard Jewell all over again, and not done as well (in fact laughable in places), but the story is just so compelling. 

Check out 'Murder on Middle Beach', its a 3 or 4 part doc-series on HBO. Really good.

These arent all Netflix, but very good

Killing Eve
Flight Attendant with Cuaco from Big Bang is very good
Morning Show was terrific
We never watched Grey's Anatomy till now
Schitts Creek is good, took me a while to get into it
The Windsors
Mandalorian
Marvelous Mrs Maisel
We love Great British Baking Show
Chernobyl

How we consume and access media is changing fast....

Disney+ announcements are an 'earth-shaking' development in the streaming wars
In the first ten days of December, Discovery unveiled its streaming service; Warner Bros. said that its entire 2021 slate of films will be released on HBO Max and in theaters at the same time; and Disney announced 100 new projects, with most of them heading straight to streaming services.Three years from now, we'll probably still be talking about the content and the consequences.
The resistance to the streaming transformation is significant, but the strategic imperatives of major media companies are more serious. Thus, observers were blown away by the sheer amount of content announcements at Disney's investor day on Thursday, in much the same way they were stunned by WarnerMedia's move last week."The fact is, we're only getting started," Disney's exec chairman Bob Iger said with a smile at the end of the Disney presentation.
Read More
Which raises a question: If you have any connection to the media business, what will your streaming strategy be in a year or three from now? I say three years because Disney is already plotting what it will be releasing for the 2023 holiday season..."Earth-shaking"
During the Disney investor event, digital media guru Matthew Ball tweeted that "this feels like the true unveiling of Disney+ versus April 2019, tbh" (to be honest).And Ball told me afterward, "if you're a competitor, this is earth-shaking."That's because Disney CEO Bob Chapek basically depicted everything up until now as a beta launch. Chapek said "Disney+ has exceeded our wildest expectations" and quadrupled down on the streaming service on Thursday...Disney's streaming kingdomFrank Pallotta writes: "According to the company, Disney+ now has 86 million subscribers. So it is raising its projections by leaps and bounds. Disney now projects that the service will have 230 million to 260 million subscribers by the end of fiscal 2024. That's a huge jump from its initial projections last year of 60 million to 90 million.">> More: The service's monthly fee in the US will be going up by $1 in March to $7.99...Obi-Wan, She-Hulk and PinocchioFrank Pallotta writes: "Disney spent the better part of four hours announcing fresh content from its biggest brands. There were new 'Star Wars' Disney+ series like a 'Mandalorian' spinoff starring the character Ahsoka Tano; a live-action 'Pinocchio' starring Tom Hanks; and a slew of Marvel series. The company also hedged its bets with its theatrical releases, saying that Disney Animation's 'Raya and the Last Dragon' is heading to Disney+ while Marvel's 'Black Widow' is still heading to theaters in May.">> WaPo's Steven Zeitchik tweeted: "Disney+'s guiding philosophy seems to be 'let's take every single property in our catalog and make a prequel, sequel, reboot, new take, feature, limited series, hybrid CG-live-action sci-fi musical comedy melodrama and then let's see who's winning the streaming wars, Netflix.'"Some of the highlightsUnless I stay up until 2am ET, there is no way to encapsulate all the programming news. Let me just flag SIX highlights...-- "Disney unveiled a blitz of new 'Star Wars' projects," NYT's Brooks Barnes wrote, "including 10 television shows -- two of which will be 'Mandalorian' spinoffs, another that will follow C-3PO and R2-D2 -- and a new theatrical film, 'Rogue Squadron,' directed by Patty Jenkins." Jenkins will be "the first female filmmaker in the 43-year history of the 'Star Wars' movie franchise..."-- Oliver Darcy is particularly jazzed about this "Star Wars" news: "Hayden Christensen returns as Darth Vader, joining Ewan McGregor in 'Obi-Wan Kenobi...'"-- Pixar is making several new animated series for Disney+ and a sci-fi action movie based on Buzz Lightyear...-- Via Sandra Gonzalez's story: "Members of the Kardashian/Jenner brood will be working with Hulu as part of a multiyear deal." Drudge's framing: "Kardashians join Mickey..."-- There were numerous FX-related announcements, including four new seasons of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" and an "Alien" series...-- ABC News also received some shoutouts, with Kelly Campbell saying that "during this election season, nearly four million of Hulu's SVOD subscribers engaged with election coverage through ABC News Live," and "we plan to expand our partnership with ABC News to include new original content that will live exclusively on Hulu..."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/11/media/dis...index.html

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@purplefaithful said:
@Vanguard83 said:

Queen's gambit was amazing. Schitts Creek looks like something I'll like, but haven't yet watched. "I'm not ok with this" was good. It's like a high school version of Stranger Things. Same style. 

I love crime and investigation stuff, so I really dug the Mindhunter and Manhunt things. Two seasons each. Manhunt: Unabomber might be the best thing I've ever watched on Netflix. Season two isn't as good. It's basically Clint Eastwood's Richard Jewell all over again, and not done as well (in fact laughable in places), but the story is just so compelling. 
I couldnt get into Mindhunter for some reason, but i'll look into I'm not ok with this. Unabomber was really good. What kinda sucks during this pandemic is we have gone through the great ones on Netflix that everyone brags about, but don't really know much about any PRIME shows. We dont have HBO, unfortunately

the best thing IMO about netflix is the ability to go back and start from the beginning on series that are already a year or two in,  or ones that you missed completely.  I just finished Dexter and although the ending sucked,  I was really into that one.  (ok insert the psychopath jokes here)

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
the best thing IMO about netflix is the ability to go back and start from the beginning on series that are already a year or two in,  or ones that you missed completely.  I just finished Dexter and although the ending sucked,  I was really into that one.  (ok insert the psychopath jokes here)
Dexter was a great binge watch. Didn't know anything about it until Barr mentioned in about a year ago, then binge watched 7 seasons in a couple of months. Heard season 8 wasn't good so I didn't bother. For me, it seems like the topics I thought I would have zero interest in--blood spatter serial killer (Dexter), medieval fantasy (Game of Thrones) and, um, zombies (Walking Dead) have turned out to be some of the best. 

Hell on Wheels is really good if you haven't seen it.