Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If You Really Want Trevor Lawrence....(not for the squeamish!)
Quote: @Rugbyvike said:
Easy answer: Yes, I make that trade if I know it gets me the number one pick in a subsequent trade on draft night.

Think about how many wide receivers we have drafted or acquired in the past 20 years that were good to great.

Think about how many QBs we have drafted or acquired that were good to great over that same time frame.

Gimme the QB with extremely high upside every time over a WR with extremely high upside. You can build a team around a QB, you can't build a team around a WR.
the problem is... you wont know if that is enough until you know who has that pick,  the jets might be tempted with Darnold already in the fold,  but the Giants with Jones wouldnt make that trade,  sure you would still have 3 first round picks,  but you still would end up likely getting that tier 2 guy that we would have gotten with our own 1st rounder,  most likely Trey Lance at this point.

Here's the answer; Lose every game and go 1-15 and hope the Jets win 2 (it is possible). Get the first pick and fire RS before he trades it.

I think the Dolphins would say F no and just use one of those picks and select Jamar Chase, Jet's old running mate at LSU.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Rugbyvike said:
Easy answer: Yes, I make that trade if I know it gets me the number one pick in a subsequent trade on draft night.

Think about how many wide receivers we have drafted or acquired in the past 20 years that were good to great.

Think about how many QBs we have drafted or acquired that were good to great over that same time frame.

Gimme the QB with extremely high upside every time over a WR with extremely high upside. You can build a team around a QB, you can't build a team around a WR.
the problem is... you wont know if that is enough until you know who has that pick,  the jets might be tempted with Darnold already in the fold,  but the Giants with Jones wouldnt make that trade,  sure you would still have 3 first round picks,  but you still would end up likely getting that tier 2 guy that we would have gotten with our own 1st rounder,  most likely Trey Lance at this point.
I said on draft night. You would talk with the team who had the number 1 pick and work out the deal ahead of time. After finding a suitor for JJ in exchange for a high pick, you confirm the deal for #1 with the team there prior to trading JJ. It's essentially a 3 way trade

The Chiefs traded the No. 27 overall pick, a third-round pick and their 2018 first-round selection to the Bills to move up to No. 10 to select Mahomes.

Depending on how far down the Vikings are,... a third-round, a forth-round and a 2022 first-round pick could get them up to pick #1 or #2 also depending on if a dance partner is up there. Bengals, Dolphins, and Giants could all be dance partners if one of them is higher than the Vikings. I'm not sure if you can 100% rule out the Jets and Atlanta as trade partners.

The question isn't the price,... the question is does Spielman think he needs a QB?? I think he still has faith in Cousins?

Quote: @Carl Knowles said:
The Chiefs traded the No. 27 overall pick, a third-round pick and their 2018 first-round selection to the Bills to move up to No. 10 to select Mahomes.

Depending on how far down the Vikings are,... a third-round, a forth-round and a 2022 first-round pick could get them up to pick #1 or #2 also depending on if a dance partner is up there. Bengals, Dolphins, and Giants could all be dance partners if one of them is higher than the Vikings. I'm not sure if you can 100% rule out the Jets and Atlanta as trade partners.

The question isn't the price,... the question is does Spielman think he needs a QB?? I think he still has faith in Cousins?
IF he does, he needs some good meds and therapy sessions...

We all need to acknowledge and deal with the realities in our lives. 

Quote: @Carl Knowles said:
That's not the question. Cousins and drafting a QB like Lawrence are separate issues. Even the Jets, who just drafted Sam Darnold, would take Lawrence, given the opportunity. The Vikings, with an inconsistent, high-dollar QB over 30, and no backup, the Vikings would obviously be taking Lawrence. And Fields and Lance, too.

Where it becomes a question is down in the 4th and 5th QB range.  

No way. Jefferson is a proven commodity, is 21, and is on a team-friendly deal for 4 more years. No matter how good Lawrence seems as a prospect, none are a sure thing. Here are top ten quarterbacks over the past two decades.

Baker Mayfield
Sam Darnold
Josh Allen
Josh Rosen
Mitch Trubisky
Pat Mahomes
Jared Goff
Carson Wentz
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Blake Bortles
Andrew Luck
Robert Griffin
Cam Newton
Blaine Gabbert
Jake Locker
Sam Bradford
Matthew Stafford
Matt Ryan
JaMarcus Russell
Vince Young
Matt Leinart
Alex Smith
Eli Manning
Philip Rivers
Carson Palmer
Byron Leftwich
Mike Vick
David Carr
Joey Harrington

How many of those guys in their prime years would you trade Jefferson for straight up? Mahomes? Luck? Ryan? Could maybe make an argument for Allen based on a very small sample.

You don't trade away young, proven talent for potential.

Quote: @claykenny said:
No way. Jefferson is a proven commodity, is 21, and is on a team-friendly deal for 4 more years. No matter how good Lawrence seems as a prospect, none are a sure thing. Here are top ten quarterbacks over the past two decades.

Baker Mayfield
Sam Darnold
Josh Allen
Josh Rosen
Mitch Trubisky
Pat Mahomes
Jared Goff
Carson Wentz
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Blake Bortles
Andrew Luck
Robert Griffin
Cam Newton
Blaine Gabbert
Jake Locker
Sam Bradford
Matthew Stafford
Matt Ryan
JaMarcus Russell
Vince Young
Matt Leinart
Alex Smith
Eli Manning
Philip Rivers
Carson Palmer
Byron Leftwich
Mike Vick
David Carr
Joey Harrington

How many of those guys in their prime years would you trade Jefferson for straight up? Mahomes? Luck? Ryan? Could maybe make an argument for Allen based on a very small sample.

You don't trade away young, proven talent for potential.
What's more, teams almost never make trades like this, where the loser of the trade is there for all to see for years to come. If the Vikings trade up, it will be with picks, future picks and/or veteran players. 

So to make this simple. I wouldnt do the trade now because nobody knows where teams would be. 

But if you told me we could package our #1 and Jefferson for Lawrence I’m taking that deal 100 out of 100 times. 

Look how Erin State Farm Rodgers makes undrafted WRs look. A great QB makes everyone around them look better.