Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If You Really Want Trevor Lawrence....(not for the squeamish!)
I'm going to throw out a wild idea (that I am not personally in favor
of): if people really want to collect SERIOUS draft picks for a shot at
moving up, IMO the only way to do that would be to trade Justin Jefferson.
I know, he's the bright light of our season, but what player on our
roster has more value?? Lighting up the league, only 21, 4 more years on
a rookie contract. You aren't going to collect the kind of picks to get the best QB in a decade by trading Kyle Rudolph or Riley Reiff for 5th rounders.

Say the Dolphins want to compete this year, and/or
want to give Tua a big-time WR target, and offered the Vikings their own 2021 #1
pick AND the Texans' #1, which Miami owns, for Jefferson. Next spring, if we have 3 #1 picks, 2 of them maybe in the top 10, we might be a
serious suitor for trading up to get Trevor Lawrence. Hell, if the Jets win
a game, the Texans' pick might even end up 1st overall, or a team like
the Chargers could get first overall and be willing to trade.

Who
would do that? Any of you who faithfully believe that Rick Spielman is a master
drafter should say yes, because he can find another Diggs or Jefferson
to play WR any time, right?? And anyone who thinks a franchise QB is the key should go for it, too.

short answer no
long answrr fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck no

Nah. . . I'd rather have Fields or Lance WITH JET than Trevor without him

No. We already got rid of Diggs. I just can't with that. 

[Image: tenor.png]

Like I said, I don't want this either. But there are people here who think we should "do anything to get Lawrence", so...how serious are they?? And - how else can we get him?

You can't do this deal right now because there's no guarantee of what it would bring. Heck we could trade him and somehow wind up with #1 anyways, just by stinking. So no deal today.
But if come draft week the Vikings could somehow make a deal for Lawrence, there's not a player on the roster who's untouchable.
Jefferson is easily the best part of this season so far, so it would reeeeeally hurt. Like, BAD.

But you know how happy seeing JJ ball out makes our purple hearts feel? Now imagine that same feeling, only it's a QUARTERBACK. Nothing is certain so it'd be a big risk, but I'd do it.
This thread is actually refreshing versus other posts where people propose us trading away spare parts and getting great picks back in return. Trades are supposed to hurt both sides, and they're often risky. This is one I personally would entertain. If it meant #1 overall.

imagine Lawrence's reaction when he finds out the Vikings moved up to get him,   but it cost him his primary weapon for the foreseeable future.  no offense to AT,  but by the time any QB taken this year is really ready to contend AT will be done,  and Cook will likely be at the beginning of his decline if he is even still around.

[Image: Trevor%2BLawrence%2Bhead%2Bband.PNG]

Thanks. Problem is, I think teams value their picks most when they are close to draft time. Then, they look at WR prospects and dream some could be as good as Jefferson. That's the reason his value is highest right now, this week - he could push a team that's on the edge of contending over the top, this year.

I wouldn't do it, myself, because Jefferson is a bird in the hand - and I think Spielman would need to try 3 more times before he found another great WR.

But I think it's more realistic than proposals about trading unwanted players, or fantasies that we can move up 8 slots in the first round in exchange for an extra 3rd and a couple 5th round picks.

Easy answer: Yes, I make that trade if I know it gets me the number one pick in a subsequent trade on draft night.

Think about how many wide receivers we have drafted or acquired in the past 20 years that were good to great.

Think about how many QBs we have drafted or acquired that were good to great over that same time frame.

Gimme the QB with extremely high upside every time over a WR with extremely high upside. You can build a team around a QB, you can't build a team around a WR.