Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reiff approached about pay cut

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Mike Zimmer just now on Riley Reiff: 'We'll just have to wait and see today, now won't we?'

LMAO. Z.....

Wolfson just said they'll know by midday his answer. Not at TCO so far. 
I laughed at that too and I'm with you...I wont be upset if Reiff leaves. He just wasnt worth the money and I do think someone will step up at that position. If we miss the playoffs I really dont expect the reason to be an issue at LT.

So, my question is this. If Reiff gets cut, and you plan on starting Hill instead of Udoh...why not keep O'Neill on the right side and play Hill at LT? His pass blocking doesn't seem to be the problem.

Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
So, my question is this. If Reiff gets cut, and you plan on starting Hill instead of Udoh...why not keep O'Neill on the right side and play Hill at LT? His pass blocking doesn't seem to be the problem.
Good question, PC. 

https://twitter.com/Krauserrific/status/...90050?s=20

Reiff isn't worth $11M or whatever it is, but "how much worse can it get" is a scary line of thinking in regards to the Vikings OL. The sky won't fall if he leaves but I'm surprised more of you aren't saying, "yes, I hope he re-signs". If he took a 50% pay cut and returned I'd be happy.

I was thinking the same thing. They may in fact do that if O'Neill struggles on the left. Having Yannick Ngakoue in his face every day at practice should help us figure this out right away. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
https://twitter.com/mike_greger/status/1...3274481664
Hadn't heard about Dillard. That's a big blow to them. 

Because they need to find out if O'Neill can be a LT, for two reasons:1. He could potentially become a GREAT Left Tackle, far beyond Hill's wildest dreams.2. If he stays at RT and is never tried at LT, he and his agent will still demand LT money - or threaten to leave in free agency for a team that will pay him like an LT.
Also, I think they will be trying to get Udoh starting at RT fairly soon, even if they try to go with Hill as the season begins.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@PurpleCrush said:

Because they need to find out if O'Neill can be a LT, for two reasons:1. He could potentially become a GREAT Left Tackle, far beyond Hill's wildest dreams.2. If he stays at RT and is never tried at LT, he and his agent will still demand LT money - or threaten to leave in free agency for a team that will pay him like an LT.
Also, I think they will be trying to get Udoh starting at RT fairly soon, even if they try to go with Hill as the season begins.
I can understand that line of thinking, but I guess I should have clarified my question a bit. If this were the beginning of camp, then I'd say no problem. But with less than 2 weeks before the first game, all this shuffling around scares me a bit.

Your scenario seems most plausible. My thinking was that you can keep O'Neill and Udoh on the right, for this season...while playing Hill at LT and have Cleveland as his backup, a la O'Neill's rookie season.

Just read that O'Neill played LT 2 of his 3 years at BC so its not really a transition for him and probably why they'd move him there. Some insiders think the plan all along was to have O'Neill eventually be the starting LT.