Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Dark Horse at Left Guard
Reiff played some guard at Iowa, but don't think he ever did in Detroit.  He played mostly left tackle. When Decker showed up they moved him to RT for his final year there, but he actually graded a little bit better on the left.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Kentis said:
If I recall Detroit tried Reiff at RT his last season there & he didn’t play as well as he had...
I dont recall him playing guard either,  it was the move to RT is where he struggled.
Yes I stand corrected.  

But moving Reiff to Guard would be a mistake IMO.  Back to my point, if Cleveland is ready to start from early signs I would cut Reiff and use that money to bring in a natural Guard like Warford.  Of course Warford will be signed at that point but there maybe another good Guard cut as the season approaches.  I guess I am in the camp that our OL problems are not much better then last year by drafting a LT and a few late round flyers.  

Quote: @minny65 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Kentis said:
If I recall Detroit tried Reiff at RT his last season there & he didn’t play as well as he had...
I dont recall him playing guard either,  it was the move to RT is where he struggled.
Yes I stand corrected.  

But moving Reiff to Guard would be a mistake IMO.  Back to my point, if Cleveland is ready to start from early signs I would cut Reiff and use that money to bring in a natural Guard like Warford.  Of course Warford will be signed at that point but there maybe another good Guard cut as the season approaches.  I guess I am in the camp that our OL problems are not much better then last year by drafting a LT and a few late round flyers.  
I wasnt down enough on Reiff to think that a rookie from a small conference is going to come in and be performing at a higher level by week one.  Maybe he will,   but we've got a lot of money guaranteed on the QB position to be risking it on a big ? on the blind side.   I think if they wanted to move on from Reiff they would have already cut him with the post june 1st designation and decided to let Hill and Cleveland battle.

@minny65 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Kentis said:
Yes I stand corrected.  

I wasnt down enough on Reiff to think that a rookie from a small conference is going to come in and be performing at a higher level by week one.  Maybe he will,   but we've got a lot of money guaranteed on the QB position to be risking it on a big ? on the blind side.   I think if they wanted to move on from Reiff they would have already cut him with the post june 1st designation and decided to let Hill and Cleveland battle.

Reiff has been solid enough to give Cleveland a year to grow into the position.  Having some legit competition may make Reiff better as well.  Other than the year with the foot injury, he has been a solid starter.  I think that is good enough to keep him there this year as the veteran presence on the line.  Remember, all that youth needs a bit of leadership.

@minny65 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Kentis said:
Yes I stand corrected.  

That is one of my points.  I think Reiff is a decent LT and would not move him to Guard just to try and get Cleveland to LT and I don't think having an inexperienced rookie tackle play Guard is part of the solution at Guard.  So with those thoughts neither Reiff or Cleveland help our Guard situation.  

Quote: @greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@minny65 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Kentis said:
Yes I stand corrected.  

Reiff has been solid enough to give Cleveland a year to grow into the position.  Having some legit competition may make Reiff better as well.  Other than the year with the foot injury, he has been a solid starter.  I think that is good enough to keep him there this year as the veteran presence on the line.  Remember, all that youth needs a bit of leadership.
Personally, I wouldn't go as far as to say Reiff was 'solid enough', but I do agree that I sincerely doubt Cleveland starts at LT his rookie season. 

Quote: @minny65 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@minny65 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Kentis said:
Yes I stand corrected.  

That is one of my points.  I think Reiff is a decent LT and would not move him to Guard just to try and get Cleveland to LT and I don't think having an inexperienced rookie tackle play Guard is part of the solution at Guard.  So with those thoughts neither Reiff or Cleveland help our Guard situation.  

Yes.  And if you move Cleveland, you set him back at learning LT.  And if Reiff gets injured, suddenly the whole left side is moving.  Let the kid learn, we may need him soon enough.

Been in love with Collins when he got the extra reps in the Miracle DR game.  He did well in a huge spot, showed flexibility, speed, versatitliy to go with his size and speed.

Collins, Udoh, Samia, Dozier, 2 of these will win the starting G spots.  My money is on Collins and Udoh, they present solid technique with great size.  If we make no moves for Warford. I know it’s risky but 2020 line should be:

Cleveland-Collins-Bradberry-Udoh-ONeil with Dozier, Samia, Hill, Jones, Elf on the bench

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@minny65 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Kentis said:
Yes I stand corrected.  

Personally, I wouldn't go as far as to say Reiff was 'solid enough', but I do agree that I sincerely doubt Cleveland starts at LT his rookie season. 

LT wasn't the problem in pass pro.  He had a bad stretch while playing with the foot injury, but otherwise he has been a solid LT IMO.

Quote: @greediron said:
@minny65 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@minny65 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Kentis said:
Yes I stand corrected.  

Yes.  And if you move Cleveland, you set him back at learning LT.  And if Reiff gets injured, suddenly the whole left side is moving.  Let the kid learn, we may need him soon enough.
Agree.

Our problem is at Guard