Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Dark Horse at Left Guard
@JimmyinSD  this is for you because I know you have Collins as one of your starting 5. You called it first!

With Aviante Collins’ injury history, this is most likely his make it or break it chance to be a major part of the Vikings organization. He must stay healthy and on the field or he might be in danger of being released. As a matter of fact, ESPN’s Bill Barnell has picked Collins as his most likely Viking to get cut.

Some Vikings fans may not know who offensive lineman Aviante Collins is, but it’s time to pay attention. The backup tackle/guard received plenty of rave reviews from the late Tony Sparano in 2017 and has played in 5 games with one start over his NFL career.

As an undrafted rookie, Collins worked his was onto the active roster and earned late season offensive snaps in Pat Shurmur’s jumbo package illustrated in the first video below.

He made the 53 man roster his sophomore season in 2018 and he was set to see some playing time filling in for the injured Pat Elflein. Collins was the number two left guard on the roster until a season ending injury (torn biceps) sent him to IR in early September before he got his opportunity. RT Mike Remmers was then reassigned to guard, a position he never played professionally nor in college.

In 2019 Collins was on the practice squad for the first 10 weeks of the season before working his way back to the 53 man roster. Believe it or not, he wound up logging more offensive snaps (49) than Dru Sumia (31) and Oli Udoh (31). Collins even finished with a higher PFF grade that Dakota Dozier, Sumia and Udoh.

The Vikings like to promote from within and they do have a storied history with undrafted players finding stardom. Could this be the year Collins gets his chance? The Vikings have plenty of talent at the tackle position, so, it wouldn’t surprise me if Collins is asked to focus only on the left guard position. I think Collins is certainly a candidate to steal the starting guard spot from Elflein.   

If Collins can win a starting job, the powerful and versatile offensive lineman from TCU would give the Vikings the fastest and most athletic OL in the NFL. With 3 of the current starters running 4.9s and better, almost identical 30" verticals and throw in an average of nearly 30 reps @225 lbs, would make this outside zone-blocking scheme unique. Remember that Collins was timed with the third fastest 40 among OT’s in combine history at 4.81 while also putting up 34 reps at 225 lbs. The undrafted free agent has been with the Vikings for 3 years and should be well versed in Gary Kubiak’s blocking scheme.

Great video here of Collins at the end of his rookies season (2017-2018) with the Vikings.

Collins held up well against Kalil Mack and company. This video is of almost every Vikings offensive snap against the Bears.

Better a dark horse than a Dark Elf

I like Aviante Collins and I know the team does, too, but is he a starter in the NFL? Maybe he is. I'd think he'd definitely be getting a hard look.

Line will certainly be better in '20, but I'm excited about what it will be in '21...The youth, athleticism and upside in this line would be ridiculous...4 out of the 5 starters run sub 5.0 forties. 

LT: Cleveland, Udoh
LG: Collins 
C: Bradbury, Hinton
RG: Samia
RT: O'Neill, Udoh

Collins has appeared in 2 games in 3 years.  2018 was an injury washout from preseason.  He was also always injured in college so the trend continues.  I do agree that when he has played he has looked pretty darn good but we have a lot of "If's" along the OL that can go either way.  I hope our remaining salary cap after rookies in spent on a veteran G.  But if we plan on doing something with Cook then we don't have the money for a guy like Warford.  I think Warford is 28 and going into his 7th season with 3 straight Pro Bowls.  

I think the Vikings will put their best 5 out there and I think you will see some combination of Reiff/Cleveland at LT and LG. 

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
I think the Vikings will put their best 5 out there and I think you will see some combination of Reiff/Cleveland at LT and LG. 
Reiff was not a very good guard when the Lions moved him there 4 or 5 years ago and now he is older.  Honestly If we get a very early read on Cleveland being able to start at LT then we might just cut Reiff and save over 8 Million after the 4 dead money.  

Do not think Cleveland has ever played Guard and would not want him to start their anyway.  I also do not want to play around with the only solid position on our OL at RT and Hill as swing.  Both G positions are our biggest question marks on the whole team - IMO.  

collins could be if he is healthya nice plus

If I recall Detroit tried Reiff at RT his last season there & he didn’t play as well as he had...

Quote: @"Kentis" said:
If I recall Detroit tried Reiff at RT his last season there & he didn’t play as well as he had...
I dont recall him playing guard either,  it was the move to RT is where he struggled.