Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maroon Bells Mock Draft
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
Overall I think you fill needs with solid players. You know my feelings towards Gallimore, but a 3T in round 2 makes a lot of sense. Ashtyn Davis is definitely a guy I think they'll have eye on if they move Harris so that is a really nice fit.

I haven't seen many people talk about Donovan Peoples-Jones much on the board. He's an intriguing dude but I doubt he lasts that long. His testing and pedigree will ultimately get a team to overdraft him. The biggest question is how much did Shea Patterson and Michigan's scheme negatively impact him? It had an impact without a doubt. But I think he is more of a track athlete since his play speed on the field doesn't match testing numbers. But if you want to develop him as a true 'X' receiver I can definitely get on-board with that. 
On DPJ, I love players who were 5-star recruits and then were either hurt, or put into an offense that perhaps stunted their true ability. Diggs was exactly that. I actually think we'll be shocked at the receivers who are available in the 5th. Even if half of the NFL takes a receiver in the first three rounds, there's another handful who will get pushed down as those teams fill other needs. 
The old "five star sticker" as scouts call it. The Vikings have definitely look highly on players with pedigree. I do think there are stark differences between DPJ and Diggs though. Diggs was a 5 star recruit who was very good at Maryland but suffered from injuries and QB play. DPJ struggles with QB play but hasn't developed as a WR. He's a track star on a football field. That has plenty of value if you can reign him in, but he is RAW coming out of a Power-5 school. He barely lived off high-end athleticism in college. You cannot live off solely athleticism in the NFL. But for a price he is well worth a roll of the dice. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@MarkSP18 said:
I like almost all of it until you took a freaking kicker.  I mean, come on man!  The Vikings have proven that they should not be in the business of using draft picks on kickers.

Also, they just gave Dan Bailey a 3 year 10 mil deal.  It is highly doubtful they have any type of competition for his job.

I probably would have used that pick on another speedy linebacker because Gedeon and Smith are not the answer.
So turn it around. At the end of the day, all draft picks are capital. Bass is a damn good kicker who kicks it into the end zone every time. Feature him in the preseason and if he lights it up, trade him to one of the half dozen teams whose kicker will shit the bed. 
You'll get a 5th round pick back for your 7th  Wink
It's a profit. 

Quote: @Bullazin said:
Great draft and wouldnt be sad. Love Trent W However i want even more big guys as meathead said.  I know its not falling well this year for that. I like Gallimore enough to take him in the first if we cant get back to early second.  I cant see him  getting past early 40’s. I would even go Gallimore or Blacklock or Epenesa in the first if we could swing a trent deal. 

Josh Jones, Ruiz, Herbert or one of the LB’s is on my list before Gallimore. We need immediate help on both sides in the run game. All these guys are high floor picks we cant afford misses and retool on the fly. Pretty deep WR and CB class 

Aiyuk is dreamy, Like Davis pick. Your 4,5 and 6a are awesome value. 
I agree with you on Gallimore but I think we're the only ones on the planet. :-) I think he could easily be there at 58. Problem is, I'm not sure he's a Zimmer fit. Zim likes his linemen with long arms. Personally, I think arm length is overrated for penetrating 3Ts. FWIW, Aaron Donald's arms are shorter than Gallimore's, as are Geno Atkins'. 

About Gallimore, Daniel Jeremiah called him his boom or bust pick, saying "I see the activity, but I don’t see the productivity. He’s very explosive. You see him jump off the line of scrimmage. But you just want to see him make more plays, and that didn’t happen for him at Oklahoma."

Daniel...buddy...I can explain that in one clip...yes, that's THREE guys on Gallimore. This was not unusual. 

https://twitter.com/KeganReneau/status/1...80064?s=20

Now watch the effort...beats the center right away, then gets through the back, but ends up totally out of the play...or is he? 

https://twitter.com/BillyM_91/status/122...04000?s=20

You get a coach to teach him the finer points of playing DT (like playing lower), you'll have an all pro on your hands in 3 years. He's no Aaron Donald, but he could be Kawann Short. 

@Bullazin said:
Great draft and wouldnt be sad. Love Trent W However i want even more big guys as meathead said.  I know its not falling well this year for that. I like Gallimore enough to take him in the first if we cant get back to early second.  I cant see him  getting past early 40’s. I would even go Gallimore or Blacklock or Epenesa in the first if we could swing a trent deal. 

Josh Jones, Ruiz, Herbert or one of the LB’s is on my list before Gallimore. We need immediate help on both sides in the run game. All these guys are high floor picks we cant afford misses and retool on the fly. Pretty deep WR and CB class 

I agree with you on Gallimore but I think we're the only ones on the planet. :-) I think he could easily be there at 58. Problem is, I'm not sure he's a Zimmer fit. Zim likes his linemen with long arms. Personally, I think arm length is overrated for penetrating 3Ts. FWIW, Aaron Donald's arms are shorter than Gallimore's, as are Geno Atkins'. 

About Gallimore, Daniel Jeremiah called him his boom or bust pick, saying "I see the activity, but I don’t see the productivity. He’s very explosive. You see him jump off the line of scrimmage. But you just want to see him make more plays, and that didn’t happen for him at Oklahoma."

Daniel...buddy...I can explain that in one clip...yes, that's THREE guys on Gallimore. This was not unusual. 

Now watch the effort...beats the center right away, then gets through the back, but ends up totally out of the play...or is he? 

You get a coach to teach him the finer points of playing DT (like playing lower), you'll have an all pro on your hands in 3 years. He's no Aaron Donald, but he could be Kawann Short. 

Good stuff. NG reminds me of Sharrif Floyd quite a bit. He doesnt have the hips and feet Shariff had or the hands for that matter, but he is country strong with great motor and straightline speed. He looks like a very high floor player to me, and I dont want busts. Ideally, someone will want A Qb and we can trade down a few spots, but i cant in anyway imagine bust with NG, im seeing solid starter 

@MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
Overall I think you fill needs with solid players. You know my feelings towards Gallimore, but a 3T in round 2 makes a lot of sense. Ashtyn Davis is definitely a guy I think they'll have eye on if they move Harris so that is a really nice fit.

I haven't seen many people talk about Donovan Peoples-Jones much on the board. He's an intriguing dude but I doubt he lasts that long. His testing and pedigree will ultimately get a team to overdraft him. The biggest question is how much did Shea Patterson and Michigan's scheme negatively impact him? It had an impact without a doubt. But I think he is more of a track athlete since his play speed on the field doesn't match testing numbers. But if you want to develop him as a true 'X' receiver I can definitely get on-board with that. 
On DPJ, I love players who were 5-star recruits and then were either hurt, or put into an offense that perhaps stunted their true ability. Diggs was exactly that. I actually think we'll be shocked at the receivers who are available in the 5th. Even if half of the NFL takes a receiver in the first three rounds, there's another handful who will get pushed down as those teams fill other needs. 
The old "five star sticker" as scouts call it. The Vikings have definitely look highly on players with pedigree. I do think there are stark differences between DPJ and Diggs though. Diggs was a 5 star recruit who was very good at Maryland but suffered from injuries and QB play. DPJ struggles with QB play but hasn't developed as a WR. He's a track star on a football field. That has plenty of value if you can reign him in, but he is RAW coming out of a Power-5 school. He barely lived off high-end athleticism in college. You cannot live off solely athleticism in the NFL. But for a price he is well worth a roll of the dice. 
Yeah...we're talking about a 5th round choice here. I don't take a receiver like that as the 1st receiver we take, but as the 2nd, I think it's worth a 5th round flyer in the hope you could turn that kind of speed and athleticism into a contributor. 

As a reminder, here are the receivers taken before Stefon Diggs...
  • Amari Cooper, 4th to the Raiders
  • Kevin White, 7th to the Bears
  • DeVante Parker, 14th to the Dolphins
  • Nelson Agholor, 20th to the Eagles
  • Breshad Perriman, 26th to the Ravens
  • Phillip Dorsett, 29th to the Colts
  • Devin Smith, 37th to the Jets
  • Dorial Green-Beckham, 40th to the Titans
  • Tyler Lockett, 69th to the Seahawks
  • Jaelen Strong, 70th to the Texans
  • Chris Conley, 76th to the Chiefs
  • Sammie Coates, 87th to the Steelers
  • Ty Montgomery, 94th to the Packers
  • Jamison Crowder, 105th to the Redskins
  • Justin Hardy, 107th to the Falcons
  • Vince Mayle, 123rd to the Browns
  • DeAndre Smelter, 132nd to the 49ers
  • Rashad Greene, 139th to the Jaguars

@Bullazin said:

I don't think the arm length will be much of an issue. Everyone prefers longer arms but you don't play with as much as a disadvantage inside vs outside when arm inches can literally make a pass rush arc feet longer. 

The clips are good, can't disregard the film. But he is such a linear athlete and very different from Floyd/Atkins in that regard. Gallimore will stun people at the snap because of his quickness and then goes straight to the QB. That he can do quickly. But how many clean whifs do you see my NFL interior O-lineman? Not many. Floyd and Atkins were not nearly as stiff laterally. That probably is a bigger issue for MN. 

you had me at Kicker.....

Quote: @Bullazin said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Bullazin said:

Good stuff. NG reminds me of Sharrif Floyd quite a bit. He doesnt have the hips and feet Shariff had or the hands for that matter, but he is country strong with great motor and straightline speed. He looks like a very high floor player to me, and I dont want busts. Ideally, someone will want A Qb and we can trade down a few spots, but i cant in anyway imagine bust with NG, im seeing solid starter 
Half the 1st Round typically busts. And it goes up by Round after that. If you want to avoid busts you plug holes in FA, which the team unfortunately can't afford to do right now. 

This simply isn't a 'reload in one offseason' proposition. It will take at least two. Going all High Floor guys to try and remain competitive runs the very real risk of ending up with a bunch of Tier 2 NFL Players. And that's IF they all develop, which is virtually guaranteed not to happen. 

I'd like to see a few risks here and there. Muti for example. I prefer Madubuike over Gallimore but their not miles apart as prospects. Hurts over Fromm, etc. Gotta break a few eggs to make a purple omelet, IMO.

@MaroonBells said:
@Bullazin said:

I don't think the arm length will be much of an issue. Everyone prefers longer arms but you don't play with as much as a disadvantage inside vs outside when arm inches can literally make a pass rush arc feet longer. 

The clips are good, can't disregard the film. But he is such a linear athlete and very different from Floyd/Atkins in that regard. Gallimore will stun people at the snap because of his quickness and then goes straight to the QB. That he can do quickly. But how many clean whifs do you see my NFL interior O-lineman? Not many. Floyd and Atkins were not nearly as stiff laterally. That probably is a bigger issue for MN. 
Gallimore is not a flawless player, but I think his weaknesses can be improved with coaching. Geno Atkins wasn't flawless either. NFL teams let him slide to day three after 11 DTs were taken ahead of him. 

FWIW, here is what I said about Atkins after his Senior Bowl...A few
years ago, there was a DT at the Senior Bowl who couldn't be blocked. I raved
about him on one of these boards and wanted us to take him in the 1st round (we
took Udeze), but he dropped to the 3rd round, presumably for some off-field
issue. That was
Darnell Dockett. And he was 1st team All Pro last
season. Geno Atkins reminded me of Dockett. Over and over I'd see #56 in the
backfield and wondered who the hell's blitzing? Which isn't allowed at the Senior Bowl. But it wasn't a linebacker, it
was Atkins. And more often than not he was beating Iupati. A little shorter
than you'd like and probably not quite as good against the run, he's a helluva
pass rusher, quick and relentless. A 3-technique, he's rated by most as a 3rd
rounder due to lack of size. But the biggest question about small guys is can
they compete against NFL size and speed? Iupati is NFL-caliber competition. He
answered that question. Iupati couldn't stop him without holding him.

Starting to sound like you might have to move up for Terrell per the Twitter machine.