Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covid and the racial accusations
Quote: @suncoastvike said:
So blacks and Hispanics are dying at disproportionate rates from the "Chinese virus"??
Someone making it political?  Is that the question?
Or is this just a simple observation into the fact that people in close habitation die more from pandemics?
Yeah let's keep politics out of it...like that will happen.
based on the numbers from the NY dept of Health I dont really see where they are able to make that claim.  sure they are a few % off from their racial ratios,  but not enough to justify making any claims and certainly not supporting the wild figures that have been thrown out there by certain politicians.

Quote: @greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@A1Janitor said:
I read something interesting.

First ... Many African countries are not suffering from this pandemic.  They tie it to being poor countries taking the malaria drugs.

Second ... poor african americans are more susceptible because of underlying health markers like obesity and diabetes. 
of course,  how much testing is taking place in those African countries?  I have to guess that its much like rural parts of the US that arent showing huge numbers like other areas because we just arent testing as hard.  the town I work in has a policy of no testing unless they are severe enough to require hospitalization... well that will keep the numbers artificially low compared to areas like the coasts that tested on all symptoms.    I do find the theory on the tie to malaria drug interesting though,  but I have read that Hydroxychloroquene by itself really doesnt do anything against the virus alone,  it is the catalyst that makes the virus susceptible and that zinc is actually what does the damage,  each by themselves are pretty useless.

hydroxy is the tool to open the cell wall to zinc.  I think it is called an ionophore or something if I recall my biology correctly.  Zinc is a killer for viruses, but needs something to carry it through the cell wall or it is useless.
As to the rural, I think it is more the open air, the less densely populated and likely healthier eating in general.  Not that poor countries eat healthy, but likely eat less bad foods.  If it was just a lack of testing, the deaths would be higher.  I read the other day that between the dakotas and wyoming there were only 7 deaths.
I cant speak for ND or Wy,  but we have 6 here in SD,  the first one was before anybody else in the midwest really had this thing on their radar, 2 were family members, and the others I cant really speak to for sure.

Local/Cooperate Hospitals can't even nudge the State into relaxing testing standards. I don't understand bitching about "affording it" when that shit is about the easiest, par the course, issue for Americans to deal with. Not saying people should or shouldn't be responsible or that expense - it didn't fall out of the sky out of nowhere like Covid-19.
Living with Debt isn't quite the same as not having access to treatment because you don't qualify for reasons that aren't financial.

I don't want to be someone who says it's like backwards racist, but it kind of is. We're in the news talking medicals supplies and not having enough stuff to do tests - then ventilators to save lives; acting like getting Covid19 treatment and medical support is easy and minorities are being denied access because of cost or ability to pay is an ugly stereotype.

Unless you are in an area where cases are exploding, it's getting tested is hard. If it is disproportionately affecting minority communities, and you can't get tested unless you need a ventilator, doesn't that kind of imply that minorities are being admitted?
I won't sit here and say the price is fair - it's just we deal with that dynamic all of the time. Spend that energy right now fighting for more ventilators...

Systemic Inequality... people of all races are all in the same god damn boat right now navigating this. I bet the important people who truly give a shit about systemic inequality are actually the bill collectors who are afraid of not getting paid - they don't care about helping people they care about covering overhead and salary. They get politicians to go Disney over "helping people" in the game of getting their expenses covered first. That's where I see 'racism.' To pull minorities into this right now over paying when everybody is fighting for testing and/or will have a bill to pay when they leave? That's some passive aggressive racism?
(Those are light hearted, fun swear words up there. They're full of positivity.)

My understanding (in NY at least) - all care, testing, etc is free. 

i dont know that price is an issue here,  its still the availability of the tests in the rural hospitals since I assume that the majority of the tests being produced are being directed to the hot areas of the countries population centers.

Up here, the issue is that once our local hospitals got the test, they advised people that they shouldn't get too excited. They asked people to prevent the spread by not coming down for testing/treatment unless it was a critical emergency.

The issue is that lining folks up for a test will spread the disease.
The issue has become "what is the safest way to simply conduct these tests?"

This idea of clinics and hospitals opening the doors wide open to everyone with a stack of unlimited tests needs to go away. There are hospitals and clinics across the country sitting on stacks of tests they aren't doing anything with because the guidelines for them to give one are so strict. It's almost easier to advise people to stay away with the help of local and state leaders  - and have them actually comply - than it is to get approval to administer a test.

The issue is... up here they have not once stated that the tests are limited, hard to acquire, on back order or even out of stock. They didn't take time to announce rigorous testing procedures on the back burner waiting for more testing supplies. They got it, and advised testing was a risky proposition.

The issue is they said they were going to open up drive through testing facilities - instead of hearing about the progress on the funding and development of these types of centers, I see this kind of news...

That's a heavy take, not aimed at you Jim or anybody - I see we've got City level issues, County level issues, State level issues and waaaay too many articles from all over the place with unique or non-applicable issues to our personal own.

Quote: @BlackMagic7 said:
Up here, the issue is that once our local hospitals got the test, they advised people that they shouldn't get too excited. They asked people to prevent the spread by not coming down for testing/treatment unless it was a critical emergency.

The issue is that lining folks up for a test will spread the disease.
The issue has become "what is the safest way to simply conduct these tests?"

This idea of clinics and hospitals opening the doors wide open to everyone with a stack of unlimited tests needs to go away. There are hospitals and clinics across the country sitting on stacks of tests they aren't doing anything with because the guidelines for them to give one are so strict. It's almost easier to advise people to stay away with the help of local and state leaders  - and have them actually comply - than it is to get approval to administer a test.

The issue is... up here they have not once stated that the tests are limited, hard to acquire, on back order or even out of stock. They didn't take time to announce rigorous testing procedures on the back burner waiting for more testing supplies. They got it, and advised testing was a risky proposition.

The issue is they said they were going to open up drive through testing facilities - instead of hearing about the progress on the funding and development of these types of centers, I see this kind of news...

That's a heavy take, not aimed at you Jim or anybody - I see we've got City level issues, County level issues, State level issues and waaaay too many articles from all over the place with unique or non-applicable issues to our personal own.
in my area they are using the ambulance bay,  you drive into the bay in your car,  get tested in your car and then GTFO.

Near me they use a mall parking lot. 

So the Party that claims to be united as one, divides people by color and race again.....   Hmmmm 

My bet it's going to come down to socioeconomic stratification, insurance coverage, folks without insurance don't go to a doctor.  Isn't Michigan 44/14 mortality to population for the black community, guess we can surmise lead wont stop it.    Here something about it

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/20...-covid-19/

Isn't there some website we can get onto to find the nearest location and schedule a test?