Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covid and the racial accusations
I am sure this is going to be a talking point,  so lets keep this about the facts.  Biden is using injecting this racial angle of the virus victims into his campaign.   Interesting that this article shows that the death rates in NY follow the racial divide for NY.

Biden also said that coronavirus had "magnified some of our worst systemic inequities," and that black and Hispanic communities are suffering higher infection and death rates than white communities.
"That's unconscionable," he said. "We need more data on how Latinos and other communities of color are impacted, so we know exactly what has to be done." Biden said that infection rates in black communities were "three times" that of white communities, with death rates "nearly six times higher."
According to the New York State Health Department, Hispanics account for 34 percent of New York City's deaths from coronavirus and blacks account for 28 percent. Whites, meanwhile, account for 27 percent of deaths, and Asians 7 percent.
New York City is roughly 29 percent Hispanic, 22 percent black, 32 percent white and 14 percent Asian, according to state data.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/elections-2020/biden-at-first-virtual-event-as-presumptive-nominee-says-hes-coming-for-kamala-harris/ar-BB12lGsZ?li=BBnb7Kz

personally I think if studies were done on %  that live in multi-family dwellings regardless of race or income,  and measure that against the infection rates you will likely find some trend,  also compare that to areas where they had trouble with people maintaining quarantine.  I doubt it really has as much to do with race as it has to do with geography and types of living arrangements.  it stands to reason that the more people you pack into a given area the higher the infection rates are going to be regardless of skin color.
Why isn't Chuck Foreman in the Hall of Fame?

I don't think it's that complicated.  Poor people, as you said, tend to pack more people into smaller spaces, and that's where infection transfers most easily.  Also poor people don't have the luxury of staying at home or working from home.  They are going to be out there trying to make money, going to work, hustling.  Furthermore, poor people can't afford healthcare and are more likely to try and tough it out rather than get help.
Biden is not going to win the presidency on divisive race based politics.  That is a dead strategy right now.

exactly.  it took only a couple days before the identity politics are injected into this virus

this is why i can never be on the left.  

I read something interesting.

First ... Many African countries are not suffering from this pandemic.  They tie it to being poor countries taking the malaria drugs.

Second ... poor african americans are more susceptible because of underlying health markers like obesity and diabetes. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/07/us/coronavirus-black-americans-race/index.html

clip:

Existing chronic diseases
People with underlying conditions are more affected by Covid-19, and in the United States, black people are more likely to have underlying health issues like diabetes, heart disease and lung disease, Adams said.
"I've shared myself personally that I have high blood pressure. That I have heart disease and spent a week in the (intensive care unit) due to a heart condition. That I actually have asthma and I'm pre-diabetic, and so I represent that legacy of growing up poor and black in America," Adams said. "I and many black Americans are at higher risk for Covid. It's why we need everyone to do their part to slow the spread."
Adams added "it breaks my heart" to hear about higher Covid-19 death rates among the black community -- and he emphasized that the recommendations to stay at home and follow mitigation measures to slow the spread of the coronavirus are for everyone.

Quote: @A1Janitor said:

First ... Many African countries are not suffering from this pandemic.  They tie it to being poor countries taking the malaria drugs.

Second ... poor african americans are more susceptible because of underlying health markers like obesity and diabetes. 
of course,  how much testing is taking place in those African countries?  I have to guess that its much like rural parts of the US that arent showing huge numbers like other areas because we just arent testing as hard.  the town I work in has a policy of no testing unless they are severe enough to require hospitalization... well that will keep the numbers artificially low compared to areas like the coasts that tested on all symptoms.    I do find the theory on the tie to malaria drug interesting though,  but I have read that Hydroxychloroquene by itself really doesnt do anything against the virus alone,  it is the catalyst that makes the virus susceptible and that zinc is actually what does the damage,  each by themselves are pretty useless.

So blacks and Hispanics are dying at disproportionate rates from the "Chinese virus"??
Someone making it political?  Is that the question?
Or is this just a simple observation into the fact that people in close habitation die more from pandemics?
Yeah let's keep politics out of it...like that will happen.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@A1Janitor said:

of course,  how much testing is taking place in those African countries?  I have to guess that its much like rural parts of the US that arent showing huge numbers like other areas because we just arent testing as hard.  the town I work in has a policy of no testing unless they are severe enough to require hospitalization... well that will keep the numbers artificially low compared to areas like the coasts that tested on all symptoms.    I do find the theory on the tie to malaria drug interesting though,  but I have read that Hydroxychloroquene by itself really doesnt do anything against the virus alone,  it is the catalyst that makes the virus susceptible and that zinc is actually what does the damage,  each by themselves are pretty useless.
Less people travel in and out of those poor nations. That will slow contagion.
It seems plausible.

@A1Janitor said:

hydroxy is the tool to open the cell wall to zinc.  I think it is called an ionophore or something if I recall my biology correctly.  Zinc is a killer for viruses, but needs something to carry it through the cell wall or it is useless.
As to the rural, I think it is more the open air, the less densely populated and likely healthier eating in general.  Not that poor countries eat healthy, but likely eat less bad foods.  If it was just a lack of testing, the deaths would be higher.  I read the other day that between the dakotas and wyoming there were only 7 deaths.

@A1Janitor said:

I think it’s more temperature and population density related
than malaria medication related, but I’d be curious to see the data.