Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RUMOR: Harris to be traded for offensive lineman?
Trent Williams wants out of WashingtonThe Redskins, who have botched plenty of situations through the years, miscalculated the Williams situation.
Williams has insisted he won’t play for the Redskins again. His displeasure goes back to a misdiagnosis of a growth on his head that he said turned out to be cancerous. Washington stubbornly held onto him anyway.
Williams’ agent Vincent Taylor put pressure on the Redskins to get something done now by releasing a statement through ESPN’s Adam Schefter:
It seemed to be a bit of a warning that if the Redskins don’t act, Williams won’t be quiet about the team much longer. In fact, that process started with Taylor’s statement.
Redskins haven’t made Williams move yetWashington has wasted a lot of time on a situation that is clearly not going to get better. The Redskins could have traded Williams last year, but didn’t. They could have done it this month, but haven’t yet even with the NFL’s trading market being as active as ever.
Williams is a seven-time Pro Bowler and just 31 years old. Even though he didn’t play at all in 2019 and his displeasure with the Redskins has gotten fairly ugly, a lot of teams need offensive line help and Williams is the rare option who could be acquired.
That is, if the rebuilding Redskins ever decide to get whatever value they can out of one of their tradable assets. Williams would appreciate that.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@pumpf said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@VikeMike52 said:
Just read another unsubstantiated rumor that the Patriots are very interested in him. Could it be Harris for Thuney? Both are tag and trade candidates valued at around 3rd round value.
What I know. Do the Vikings have some level of interest in Thuney? Yes. Does it involve trading Ant straight up for Thuney.. ehhh, maybe not. 
So... either we don't want to trade Harris for Thuney... or it's not enough (for one of the teams)?  Any idea what the plan is for Harris?  PA said yesterday that our best hope is for a 5th rounder for him.  Is that how you see it?

I turn in my Viking fan card if that went down for a 5th rounder...

Oh come on. Ten posts into the thread reporting the trade, people would start saying that Harris was a malcontent, overrated, not a good fit, and that our GM did a fantastic job turning a UDFA investment into a draft pick.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@purplefaithful said:
@pumpf said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@VikeMike52 said:
Just read another unsubstantiated rumor that the Patriots are very interested in him. Could it be Harris for Thuney? Both are tag and trade candidates valued at around 3rd round value.
What I know. Do the Vikings have some level of interest in Thuney? Yes. Does it involve trading Ant straight up for Thuney.. ehhh, maybe not. 
So... either we don't want to trade Harris for Thuney... or it's not enough (for one of the teams)?  Any idea what the plan is for Harris?  PA said yesterday that our best hope is for a 5th rounder for him.  Is that how you see it?

Oh come on. Ten posts into the thread reporting the trade, people would start saying that Harris was a malcontent, overrated, not a good fit, and that our GM did a fantastic job turning a UDFA investment into a draft pick.
Uh, I get the feeling you posted this just to stir the pot.  Keep trolling, you might get a bite soon!

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@Jor-El said:
@purplefaithful said:
@pumpf said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@VikeMike52 said:

Uh, I get the feeling you posted this just to stir the pot.  Keep trolling, you might get a bite soon!
He's not wrong. The purple koolaid must be helping some folks stay safe cuz you can't say one damn negative thing about a team that has lost 11 Players since the start of Free Agency and only added 1, easily the widest discrepancy in the League, without a dozen posters shouting you down.

Wondering who most posters would have wanted us to keep of the 11 players that have moved on so far:

11 players :  Defense - Kearse, Sandejo, Rhodes, Waynes, Mac, Weatherly, Griffen, Joseph (5 starters!)

Offense - Diggs, Kline and Treadwell (2 starters) 

Obviously the most surprising and has created the most angst is the Diggs trade.  I was not for the trade until all the behind the scenes instances were revealed.  I had attributed his tweets as a typical immature, diva type young talented WR that was very competitive.  I did not know about him missing meetings and practices and the timing of his tweets that were not cryptic at all when you line them up. For some posters Diggs being a growing malcontent was not enough reason to try and trade him.  For me, I don't want a unhappy malcontent player who wants to be traded on my team.  I think we got a very good return for him.  Maybe koolaid for some but I had the same take on Harvin years ago.  

Our defense and specifically our secondary was our weakness all last year and year before with Rhodes rapid decline.  Glad we saved 8 million by cutting Rhodes.  Waynes I would have wanted to try and retain after checking the market rate and he ended up getting close to 15 million a year which is ridiculous.  So I support that decision as well of not paying Waynes that kind of money.  Sucks because we are now without either starting CB but each of those decisions I support.  

Joseph has been in rapid decline as well with the injuries mounting.  I think he got around a 2 year 16 million K.  Griffen is also another veteran who we do not have the money for and I don't have a major problem with letting him move on.  

The losses of Sandejo, Kearse, Kline and Treadwell....no comment and no real loss IMO.

I have to say I am not happy about losing Mac and Weatherly the most.  Two young players that I think/thought had some nice upside that I would have wanted to retain.  

So we have lost about 7 starters and added only 1 which is not inspiring for anyone but we all knew we were in for major changes.  For the most part we are blowing up the Defense which had underperformed and was overpaid.  

We now are looking at the less expensive free agent market, cuts and draft for 6 starters and depth.  That is a lot no doubt.  Am I thrilled about this offseason...not at all...but it is early and we needed change.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@Wetlander said:
@Jor-El said:
@purplefaithful said:
@pumpf said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@VikeMike52 said:

He's not wrong. The purple koolaid must be helping some folks stay safe cuz you can't say one damn negative thing about a team that has lost 11 Players since the start of Free Agency and only added 1, easily the widest discrepancy in the League, without a dozen posters shouting you down.
Fine.  Show me how these losses make us demonstrably worse.  Everyone (except me) seemed to think that Waynes was garbage.  Rhodes was bad.  Linval was declining and expensive.  EG was a loss... but we might still get him back (no one is exactly beating down his door... same thing for Kline).  We lost Weatherly (a rotational back-up), Mac (a good slot corner), Treadwell, Diggs (who didn't want to be here), and... who am I missing?  That didn't feel like 11.  Sendejo???  He wasn't even a starter.  

Tell me who I'm forgetting.  And then tell me which ones are critical losses.  That way we can have an honest discussion about this.  But I don't think that this is really about the number of players gone... or the quality of the players.  It's a way of attacking Rick.  THAT'S why most people reject it; it's not a reasoned argument.  It's just treating Rick like Trump (or Obama, if you prefer): there's nothing they can do that will satisfy some people.

@Wetlander said:
@Jor-El said:
@purplefaithful said:
@pumpf said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@VikeMike52 said:

Well, you've been doing a great job of saying the sky is falling...no one wants to steal the spotlight...

@Wetlander said:
@Jor-El said:
@purplefaithful said:
@pumpf said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@VikeMike52 said:

I guess I've missed the posts praising our off-season to date.  I actually think it's been a terrible off-season...  so far. 

We made some cuts that needed to be made, but other than shoring up our special teams and adding a stud NT, we let the majority of our depth walk.  We're really thin in our secondary and our pass rush has taken a major hit with Griffen and Weatherly gone.

Unless Spielman nails the draft and Zimmer pulls a rabbit out of his hat with some of these Day 2/3 rookies, we'll likely take a step back this year.

Maybe we sign Clowney and find a few bargains on the FA market, but at this point I would agree with you that the roster looks a lot more questionable than it did last off-season.

It certainly isn't a great offseason for Minnesota, but where it will all end up remains to be seen yet. Its March. I think most should have understood that the team was up against the cap and these moves were coming to some aspect. The Vikings took a swing at the brass ring when they signed Cousins and it didn't work out in Year 1. Year 2 they got to the Final Four of the NFC, but did so as a wildcard, the last seeded team. I think the organization thought they'd have done better, but that's not how its turned out. 

It might be a step back for one year is required. I'm not doom and gloom but at the same time its obvious at least to me this will be a lesser team that is going to heavily rely on the offense to win games. And it won't be a deep team by any stretch, a few injuries will bring down the house of cards. But let's see what ends up happening come beginning of September.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@FSUVike said:
@Wetlander said:
@Jor-El said:
@purplefaithful said:
@pumpf said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@VikeMike52 said:

I guess I've missed the posts praising our off-season to date.  I actually think it's been a terrible off-season...  so far. 

We made some cuts that needed to be made, but other than shoring up our special teams and adding a stud NT, we let the majority of our depth walk.  We're really thin in our secondary and our pass rush has taken a major hit with Griffen and Weatherly gone.

Unless Spielman nails the draft and Zimmer pulls a rabbit out of his hat with some of these Day 2/3 rookies, we'll likely take a step back this year.

Maybe we sign Clowney and find a few bargains on the FA market, but at this point I would agree with you that the roster looks a lot more questionable than it did last off-season.
I would love to sign Clowney...

What's happened to the secondary (and all that draft capital) has me in a neck-brace.  Fans have every right to be concerned right now - and voice those concerns too.