Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Coronavirus
Quote: @StickyBun said:
Went out yesterday to Delray Beach with friends to day drink as its the official St. Patrick's Day Parade day (it was cancelled) and had a guy at a bar tell me the whole thing is a democratic hoax. He was serious. Its mind blowing that people can be this stupid. We weren't talking politics or anything, he just threw it out there. SMFH. 
There's a new species of fact resistant humans. To be honest, it shouldn't be mind blowing any more. Dangerously stupid is the new normal. I mentioned on Facebook that Fox news had been under reporting the coronavirus.

Nature finds a way.

Went out yesterday to Delray Beach with friends to day drink as its the official St. Patrick's Day Parade day (it was cancelled) and had a guy at a bar tell me the whole thing is a democratic hoax. He was serious. Its mind blowing that people can be this stupid. We weren't talking politics or anything, he just threw it out there. SMFH. 
I wonder where he heard that message, between POTUS and Fox News shows having sent that message repeatedly in last few months.

I live in a deep red state in a blue collar industry (construction).  I hardly have a tongue left I bite it so much.

The mis-information and amount of people not taking this more seriously has only accelerated the issue.

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
https://twitter.com/jacknicas/status/123...24000?s=19
That asshole went around the several state areas, PROBABLY ours (since we’re an hour away and the last thing on our minds is covid19) while we recover from an EF4 tornado that destoryed 200+ houses and another 750+ with damage. I hope he rots in hell. In fact rotting in hell might be to easy for scum like him. 

In fact, Im not a big .gov guy but isnt there anti price gouging rules?  Couldnt the long arm of the .gov confiscate it all and give it to the hospitals and doctors offices that need it?

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
Yeah read this.
25 new cases reported yesterday. It still seems to be growing. With highs in the mid to upper 80°s down here warmer weather doesn't seem to be the fix that was hoped for.
Warm weather doesnt matter...It's happening in Australia, Israel -- it's global.

That "25 cases" is just among those who had a symptom, felt bad enough to do something about it, found a way to get a test and the test results (which doesnt take 24 hrs yet) have been reported.

This is going to sound very "chicken little" but it wouldn't surprise me at all if those 25 new cases reported is really 250, 2500 or god forbid 25,000 more. 

We simply don't have enough testing to meet the need or accurately report and represent what is happening. We are still blind as to the magnitude of this. That's the scary part of all of this. More so than there is not a cure. 

So china locked down their country better the what we’ll do but most of us will NOT get covid. The high estimates is around 40% which is fantastically higher then it’s going to be under the worst of cases. China had 81k cases with a population of 1.4B or 0.002% infection rate within their population. 

Lets keep this whole thing in perspective. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
So china locked down their country better the what we’ll do but most of us will NOT get covid. The high estimates is around 40% which is fantastically higher then it’s going to be under the worst of cases. China had 81k cases with a population of 1.4B or 0.002% infection rate within their population. 

I think this is a good perspective too...

There are some things China (and So Korea) did that we need to emulate here in US - now since it wasn't done weeks ago. 

Why we're not using testing gold standard tools that the WHO leverages across the globe is beyond my understanding. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@AGRforever said:

There are some things China (and So Korea) did that we need to emulate here in US - now since it wasn't done weeks ago. 

Why we're not using testing gold standard tools that the WHO leverages across the globe is beyond my understanding. 

This country would have flipped shit if their had been a radical approach to this virus before it really had become something in this country.  We are a nation of selfish people and until something affects us personally we are all slow to react on a regular basis.  Sure we will have empathy for those that are affected,  but until shit starts to hit home for most Americans it will be business as usual and any attempts to interrupt our daily wants and desires will be met with spite and anger.  

It's a lot easier in smaller countries or those that arent as accustomed to their freedoms to impose mandates to slow the spread of something that isnt even an issue at the time.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@AGRforever said:

This country would have flipped shit if their had been a radical approach to this virus before it really had become something in this country.  We are a nation of selfish people and until something affects us personally we are all slow to react on a regular basis.  Sure we will have empathy for those that are affected,  but until shit starts to hit home for most Americans it will be business as usual and any attempts to interrupt our daily wants and desires will be met with spite and anger.  

It's a lot easier in smaller countries or those that arent as accustomed to their freedoms to impose mandates to slow the spread of something that isnt even an issue at the time.
I went to do some grocery shopping this morning at the local Hy Vee...

I should have grabbed pix...

The paper aisle? Completely empty. No chicken left, all the frozen pizza's sold out, hamburger by the lb? gone...Loaf bread? Canned anything, frozen vegetables - gone..

Zero hand sanitizer, hand soap etc.

Now Hy Vee has an excellent supply chain, right up there with Publix, Costco and WM. The fact that they're out of this stuff just underscores how yes, people are losing their shit (and how bad the Amercian diet is too). 

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz says K-12 schools closing; state now has 35 confirmed cases of COVID-19
State indicating that schools could be shut down even longer.
By  Briana Bierschbach Star TribuneMarch 15, 2020 — 10:30am
Minnesota now has 35 cases of COVID-19, Gov. Tim Walz said Sunday as he announced that all of Minnesota’s K-12 schools will closed for at least eight school days starting Wednesday to try to slow the spread of the virus.
Walz and state Education Commissioner Mary Cathryn Ricker made the announcement Sunday morning in St. Paul.
“My top priority as governor is the safety of Minnesotans. As a former teacher, and father of two teenage kids, I’m especially focused on the safety of our children,” Walz said. “Closing schools is never an easy decision, but we need to make sure we have plans in place to educate and feed our kids regardless of what’s to come.”
The governor signed an executive order to close schools starting Wednesday through Friday, March 27.
Ricker said schools need to prepare in case they need to close schools for even longer than eight days.
“We are not accommodating for a couple snow days, we are planning for the potential for weeks of distance learning,” she said.
She said the state expects schools to continue to pay hourly workers like nutrition staff and school bus drivers and they are “incorporated into our state’s distance learning plans.”
The closing will “accommodate planning between school staff, teachers, and administrators with guidance from the Minnesota Department of Education (MDE) and the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH),” the governor’s initial release said.
The executive order requires schools to provide care for elementary-age children of health care professionals, first responders, and other emergency workers during previously planned school days.
On Friday, state officials said schools would remain open, partly so that health care workers don’t have to stay home to provide child care, and partly due to epidemiological evidence that COVID-19 is not spreading rapidly among children and that school closures haven’t been effective in this global outbreak.
However, Walz and state Health Commissioner Jan Malcolm said then that school closures could be ordered as the pandemic unfolds
http://www.startribune.com/minnesota-sch...568812082/

If anyone believes there is only 35 Covid-19 cases in this state, I've got a bridge in Bklyn to sell cheap. Rant over, for now. 

Trump mentioned the possibility of reducing/banning domestic travel.....just a matter of time, methinks.
Methinks you're right...Our brightest minds know we need to lessen that arc slope...

Top infectious disease expert doesn't rule out supporting temporary national lockdown to combat coronavirus
The nation's top infectious disease expert on Sunday did not rule out supporting a temporary national lockdown of the country's restaurants and bars in order to curb the spread of coronavirus, saying he'd like to see a "dramatic" reduction in activity in order to fight the disease. 
Asked by CNN's Brianna Keilar on "State of the Union" if he'd like a "national lockdown" where people are being told they need to stay home and out of restaurants and bars, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, said he'd "like to see a dramatic diminution of the personal interaction that we see" in those places
"Whatever it takes to do that, that's what I'd like to see," Fauci added. 
Fauci, a key member of the Trump administration's coronavirus task force, told Keilar that Americans will need to come to terms with the fact that life will begin to look much different as the country tries to slow the spread of the disease. 
"We need to be very serious about -- for a while, life is not going to be the way it used to be in the United States," he said. "We have to just accept that if we want to do what's best for the American public." 
The comments from Fauci come as officials continue to urge "social distancing" as a way to slow the spread of the disease. Dozens of national and local events have been canceled or postponed in recent days as companies, organizations and governments try to reduce the number of people congregated in a single area

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/15/politics/...index.html