Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Griffen opted to void remainder of contract
Quote: @Viking1987 said:
i think  some team throws. huge money at him
You can quote me on this -- he will end up in Seattle with Pete, his college coach.

[My apologies to the two posts ahead of me that mentioned the same thing -- I didn't see them until after I posted]

I think the team needs to be shook up a little bit. For better or worse. Don't want a 7-9 or 8-8 team in 2020. Playoffs or shit the bed completely. 

I could see Ev being productive for 3 more years as a situational pass rusher lining up inside or out.  Kinda like a Rich mans Tom Johnson.  What is that worth in our scheme? 

It was nice to see him bounce back and have a good season after going through personal issues. I'd certainly like to have him back, but given the Vikings cap situation, it's likely that we'll lose a few familiar faces this off-season. I do feel good about what I've seen out of Odenigbo & Weatherly, so there are at least some solid options to step up if he does sign elsewhere.

I can see EG taking on a role like Dwight Freeney did the last few years of his career.   Wicked spin move from Freeney, and EG has also developed a really solid one as well.   Really like how we used EG and Hunter against the Saints.   Would love to keep him, but unless we let most or all of Wayne’s, MAC, Linval and Rhodes go not sure we have the luxury of resigning him.  Plus Odenigbo is coming on strong and would like to see him get more snaps.

This is the best case scenario. Even if it hurts to say goodbye it better to leave as friends. Him opting out gives us cap space and a comp pick. He might come back but I think he should get the best deal he can with a team he has a chance to win with. This is his last big payday. That has to be a consideration. 
I will miss his energy.

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
Also, because he voided his contract (and the Vikes did not outright cut him), if he signs with another team he is included in the calculations of compensatory picks.  So, this is the best way to move forward.
Isn't there an age limit as well? I think Griffin at 32 might be over it.

Everson Griffen’s decision is the first domino in the Vikings’ defensive shift
[Image: 30F4701D-A96D-4D2A-8644-80E5A2D92BAB-1024x716.jpeg]
By Chad Graff Feb 20, 2020
Next week, nearly the entirety of the Vikings’ brass heads to Indianapolis for the annual scouting combine, a cluster-you-know-what of scouts and coaches descending to measure football players and share late-night beverages.

They’ll conduct interviews with prospects, often the Vikings’ most worthwhile portion of the festivities. Individual meetings are where Garrett Bradbury and Brian O’Neill really stood out to the team.

But this year, the meeting that will make the biggest difference for the landscape of the 2020 roster isn’t with any draft hopeful. Instead, the Vikings are already preparing for a sitdown scheduled for next week with Athlete’s First, the agency headed by Brian Murphy, which represents Everson Griffen, Anthony Harris and Trae Waynes, among others.

After Griffen chose this week to void the remaining three years of his contract — first reported by ESPN’s Courtney Cronin and later confirmed by The Athletic — the looming...

Quote: @RS Express said:
@VikingOracle said:
Also, because he voided his contract (and the Vikes did not outright cut him), if he signs with another team he is included in the calculations of compensatory picks.  So, this is the best way to move forward.
Isn't there an age limit as well? I think Griffin at 32 might be over it.
No, age limits (though age does limit the round) but I am (unfortunately) incorrect for another reason.  Teams who renegotiate a contract that add a player option to void their contract earlier than first agreed upon do not qualify for the compensatory formula if the player exercises that option to void.  See Laveranues Coles in 2010see also Jerome Felton in 2016.

Freeney, Peppers, even Kearse had great careers and productive seasons for a few more years after some thought they were "done". I think Griffen likely falls in the same category.
A parting of the ways seems likely but I'll wish him nothing but the best. His offsides penalties drove me crazy but that's minor compared to what an awesome player he is. His epic performance against New Orleans in this year's playoffs is something I won't forget.
If he comes back I'll be happy, but if he doesn't I'll be happy for him too. EG is a great player and a great Viking!