Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OL And Other Prospects Watch
Quote: @Wetlander said:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...fl-combine

One player might have secured a spot in Round 1 at the NFL Scouting Combine on Friday.
N.C. State center Garrett Bradbury is emerging as an early winner at the event, posting a 40-yard dash time of 4.92 seconds -- the best time of any of the first group of offensive linemen -- a day after finishing second among his position group with 34 bench-press reps.
Bradbury has definitely had a good combine week. Source told me teams/scouts are not all that surprised of his on-field workout, everyone knew he was extremely athletic. The bench press surprised me but his conversion is about average due to his arm length (short arms make the bench easier), so it won't sway the needle in either directions. He's still a late 1st/early 2nd round pick. I like him but not sure if I still love his fit next to Elflein. 

Regardless of opinion my guess is that he might not meet their measurement thresholds which would eliminate him at #18. He has the 16th shortest O-line arm measurement since 2010 and there were rumors Billy Price (who is bigger) was off their board last year due to a similar issue. 

This may be grossly oversimplifying things but in Pass Pro Centers are generally helping a Guard with a doubleteam. Which is why Elf's total pressures given up was so alarming.

If you have TWO undersized, technique-oriented guys on your interior doesn't that mean that more often than not you want those two doubleteaming the NT, who should be the bigger DT in 4-3 Defenses?

Or do you balance that Line with a bigger Hernandez-type body at LG to single up the NT? Of course, that body style usually isn't as conducive to getting to the 2nd level when pulling.

And teams are constantly swapping their DTs. Even the Vikings line up Joseph in the 3T and Richardson in the NT a lot more than people probably think. And there's 3-4 Defenses. Stunts. Blitzes.

Shoot. Glad I'm not making the decision! But I do think that in theory it makes sense to not have two smaller technique guys on the interior. Sort of...

Chris Lindstrom is looking better and better...  Perfect fit for a ZBS...  Can get out to pull and is very good at blocking in space...  Good pass protector...

6'4 and 308 lbs...  Ran a 4.91 40...  34 inch arms...  We gotta get this guy to pair up with O'Neill on the right side.  Plug him in at RG where he played in college and watch Dalvin RUN.

BOOM

I still think we go DT in the first round or bpa outside of QB, but if we take an OL Taylor or Dillard are the only 2 tackles I can see us taking, then it comes down to Lindstrom.  My biggest concern with Lindstrom or even Bradbury is that ZBS linemen are easier to draft than your monster all pro guys.  Taylor or Dillard could be cornerstone pieces at tackle which is a much harder get than a zbs guard.  While I love Lindstrom and think he will be a good pro, I dont see Zach Martin or Quinten Nelson, when that type of talent is there at guard you take him and Lindstrom isnt that, but he is good.

If we are committed to OL with our first pick I think we have to trade back and pick up more ammo in order to get a DT in this draft as well.  The talent pool at DT and the value we could get at 18 (if we stay) is going to outweigh in my mind the prospects at oline.  I could see use taking the massive dt from Clemson at 18 in Lawerence, and he and Joseph solve the LB hole real fast.  And take the middle run game away completely.  

Free agency is where we will find our starting guards this year not the draft, but I full expect us to draft some linemen this year, I just dont think there is a sure fire guy that will be there at 18.

[Image: BC_178x142.png]
The Athletic's Dane Brugler only has three offensive guards inside his top-100.That's the lowest represented position outside of kicker and punter. The interior line class is underwhelming according to most draft analysts, but there are a few offensive tackles that may turn into Pro Bowl-level guards if they can't hang on the perimeter. One of the best guard prospects is Chris Lindstrom, who joined elite company as a lineman with a sub-5.00 forty. Both Brugler and Reese's Senior Bowl director Jim Nagy call Lindstrom an immediate starter. Expect the Boston College alumni to fly off the board inside the first 50 picks.
SOURCE: Dane Brugler on Twitter

I still think it would be hard to pass on Dexter Lawrence at #18.  Guru is speaking about replacing Reiff next year due to his contract which makes sense.  But Joseph is also on the radar for some kind of reduction in salary or release.  Maybe 2021 is where they really look at his deal relative to his age.
Belichek once said that you can find a bunch of defensive linemen that are 300 lbs or so and can move, but it is very rare to find 340 lb linemen that can move.  There are not too many of those walking around the planet.
I like Dru Samia and Ben Powers from Oklahoma.  Samia plays nasty.  Very nasty.  Even in the Senior Bowl when someone had a bit of a late push on the QB going out of bounds Samia was letting them know about it.  I watched several Sooner games this year and he always stood out.  More than Ford.  But I could have been biased a bit too.