Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So who's going to be the new OC?
Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
I am intrigued with Ryan. He's had a lot of success with both WR's and QB's between the Giants and Texans. But the lack of play calling experience is still a hurdle to get over. If you're going to take that jump with Ryan, why not promote Stefanski internally? 
At first blush, I would agree. But it makes me wonder about the RPO--the Run/Pass option. Unlike the Wildcat, this seems to be getting a lot of raves around the NFL. Some have called it indefensible (ya, I know). DeShaun Watson used it a lot and it was a big reason for his success. Might the Vikings want to find an OC who has experience with it? Pure speculation, but if so, what would it mean about our QB. It often puts the QB in a vulnerable position. A bad place for QBs with bad knees. But it's something that I think Case could do fairly well. 

One other thing, as a lot of us have said, there's a big difference between being able to design an offense and understanding the "dance" that is effective play calling. Neither Stefanski or Ryan has done it (that I'm aware), but it sounds like that is what Ryan wants. O'Brien's a smart guy. If he thinks Ryan has a "real bright future" in this league, color me intrigued. 
I think the term "RPO" has become more popular this year, but it isn't an entirely new concept. The Vikings offense last year had built in RPO's. 

The Eagles and Chiefs really started using them regularly in 17' which made the term catch on. As an OC you need someone who can develop a strong game plan and execute it. There are plenty of good coaches that can write a good scripts, but executing it to plan is an entirely different beast. I'm intrigued by Ryan since he's had success developing QB's which inherently would give you a decent feel for play calling. But it still gives me an uncomfortable feeling. 

Ideally the Vikings can hire Bevell and promote Stefanski to OC. That'd give him an internal promotion but not put all the play calling weight on his shoulders day 1. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
I am intrigued with Ryan. He's had a lot of success with both WR's and QB's between the Giants and Texans. But the lack of play calling experience is still a hurdle to get over. If you're going to take that jump with Ryan, why not promote Stefanski internally? 
At first blush, I would agree. But it makes me wonder about the RPO--the Run/Pass option. Unlike the Wildcat, this seems to be getting a lot of raves around the NFL. Some have called it indefensible (ya, I know). DeShaun Watson used it a lot and it was a big reason for his success. Might the Vikings want to find an OC who has experience with it? Pure speculation, but if so, what would it mean about our QB. It often puts the QB in a vulnerable position. A bad place for QBs with bad knees. But it's something that I think Case could do fairly well. 

One other thing, as a lot of us have said, there's a big difference between being able to design an offense and understanding the "dance" that is effective play calling. Neither Stefanski or Ryan has done it (that I'm aware), but it sounds like that is what Ryan wants. O'Brien's a smart guy. If he thinks Ryan has a "real bright future" in this league, color me intrigued. 
I think the term "RPO" has become more popular this year, but it isn't an entirely new concept. The Vikings offense last year had built in RPO's. 

The Eagles and Chiefs really started using them regularly in 17' which made the term catch on. As an OC you need someone who can develop a strong game plan and execute it. There are plenty of good coaches that can write a good scripts, but executing it to plan is an entirely different beast. I'm intrigued by Ryan since he's had success developing QB's which inherently would give you a decent feel for play calling. But it still gives me an uncomfortable feeling. 

Ideally the Vikings can hire Bevell and promote Stefanski to OC. That'd give him an internal promotion but not put all the play calling weight on his shoulders day 1. 

Wait, what would be Bevell's title and duties then??

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

Wait, what would be Bevell's title and duties then??

Either QB coach or Passing Game Coordinator 

Sounds like if Stefanski doesn't get the OC position in MN he may end up following Shurmur to the Giants. 
That' kind of what I thought would happen.

@"Geoff Nichols" said:

Case showed a tendency to lock onto receivers early and wait,  how will that help sell a RPO?  I think his mobility would be a plus in that type of scheme, but the execution is where I would wonder how well he would do with it.   He doesnt seem to be a quick trigger guy that would IMO excell in that  type of system.   I think Case is at his best when he can roll out of the pocket, extend the play, and really give the receivers a little more time to gain separation or find a big hole in a zone.

No matter who we end up with, its likely going to be a step down.  Shurmer didnt win asst of the year for nothing.  i am pretty sure we can find a decent playcaller somewhere, im more worried about changing a scheme that actually worked.  its prolly best to promote stefanski and hire a vet OC that can assist and take over if theres a dropoff

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

Case showed a tendency to lock onto receivers early and wait,  how will that help sell a RPO?  I think his mobility would be a plus in that type of scheme, but the execution is where I would wonder how well he would do with it.   He doesnt seem to be a quick trigger guy that would IMO excell in that  type of system.   I think Case is at his best when he can roll out of the pocket, extend the play, and really give the receivers a little more time to gain separation or find a big hole in a zone.
I don't think it takes a special kind of QB to do it, just a decisive one and one you're not overly worried about exposing. 

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

I don't think it takes a special kind of QB to do it, just a decisive one and one you're not overly worried about exposing. 
It doesn't take a special QB at all, its all read and react. When you look at the spread offenses in college most of the reads are high/low. With an RPO all you're incorporating is a read on the DE with the option to hand the ball off. You honestly could run it to some success with a QB who doesn't know how to read a defense. But like you said, the QB has to be decisive and trust what they see at the snap of the ball. They also have to be somewhat durable since they're going to get hit and be left exposed outside the pocket. 

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

It doesn't take a special QB at all, its all read and react. When you look at the spread offenses in college most of the reads are high/low. With an RPO all you're incorporating is a read on the DE with the option to hand the ball off. You honestly could run it to some success with a QB who doesn't know how to read a defense. But like you said, the QB has to be decisive and trust what they see at the snap of the ball. They also have to be somewhat durable since they're going to get hit and be left exposed outside the pocket. 
it takes a quick reading/reacting one,   something I was questioning Case on since he was prone to locking onto receivers and in many cases needing to see them open before firing.   he certainly has the mobility,  but is he a quick read guy?  some of those throws I see made have the QB not really setting his feet and relying more on arm strength to get the ball out there,  Case is not necessarily known for his arm strength,  however typically those run fakes to a pass are not very far down field so maybe arm strength isnt all that critical?

Quote: @"greediron" said:
Perhaps Stefanski is a known factor and they aren't comfortable with him.
I saw it posted already that Stefanski is a candidate for the job and that Zimmer either has or will be sitting down with him to discuss the position.