• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sam Darnold, new Viking's QB
Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@kmillard said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@MaroonBells said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@Montana Tom said:
I had a deep conversation with a friend who played for USC and is a big Trojans fan.  He said that at USC, Sam Darnold was big, athletic, did not get flustered, good arm, mentally strong.  All positives that should have translated to success in the NFL.  However, his growth got stunted at the Jets and then again at Carolina.  I may have judged this move prematurely.  
The problem is that no QB that I'm aware of, whose first multiple years have been stunted at the NFL level, has been coached back to achieve his potential. The USC QB hype is legendary Sanchez, Leinart, Darnold.
No way he achieves the potential he had when the Jets drafted him 3rd overall. That ship has sailed. However, I think he'll play better in our offense than he's played to date.  
That bar is very low. The very reasonable concern is whether that "better" play is starter caliber play.
He's going to be our Jim Plunkett.
I'm hopeful. One thiabout Darnold that's been consistent throughout his career is that he throws a lot of INT's. The infamous "seeing ghosts" game still makes me wonder if he ever recovered from that and the shit teams he was on prior to last season. It's going to be the reclamation project of all reclamation projects if KOC can get him playing upper echelon football 
If KOC turns Darnold into a viable starter, he's 100% coach of the year.  

Quote: @CFIAvike said:
@supafreak84 said:
@kmillard said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@MaroonBells said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@Montana Tom said:
I had a deep conversation with a friend who played for USC and is a big Trojans fan.  He said that at USC, Sam Darnold was big, athletic, did not get flustered, good arm, mentally strong.  All positives that should have translated to success in the NFL.  However, his growth got stunted at the Jets and then again at Carolina.  I may have judged this move prematurely.  
The problem is that no QB that I'm aware of, whose first multiple years have been stunted at the NFL level, has been coached back to achieve his potential. The USC QB hype is legendary Sanchez, Leinart, Darnold.
No way he achieves the potential he had when the Jets drafted him 3rd overall. That ship has sailed. However, I think he'll play better in our offense than he's played to date.  
That bar is very low. The very reasonable concern is whether that "better" play is starter caliber play.
I'm hopeful. One thiabout Darnold that's been consistent throughout his career is that he throws a lot of INT's. The infamous "seeing ghosts" game still makes me wonder if he ever recovered from that and the shit teams he was on prior to last season. It's going to be the reclamation project of all reclamation projects if KOC can get him playing upper echelon football 
Out of curiosity, define viable starter. 

Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
@Montana Tom said:
I wrote this in another thread: Much more likely that Darnold is who we think he is, but some QBs revive their career under the correct circumstances: Rich Gannon, Len Dawson, Ryan Tannehill, Alex Smith, Mark Brunell, Vinny Testaverde, Trent Green.  If Darnold can elevate his game to the average of the above list, good for him and good for the Vikings.

Quote: @bigbone62 said:
@CFIAvike said:
@supafreak84 said:
@kmillard said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@MaroonBells said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@Montana Tom said:
Out of curiosity, define viable starter. 
Good enough to get us to the playoffs. Again not bloody likely

Quote: @kmillard said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@MaroonBells said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@Montana Tom said:
I mean he won the big one.

[Image: hzgcr9jdyf7x.gif]

When we signed Case I posted something about hoping to never see him play as his job was to hold Sam Bradford's clipboard.  Case's stats and career were basic before he came here and had a great season and took us on a wild ride.  I have some slight hope that Sam will come here and not hurt our team until the new kid and replaces him.  Anything more than that will be a bonus.   

Quote: @Bezerker88 said:
When we signed Case I posted something about hoping to never see him play as his job was to hold Sam Bradford's clipboard.  Case's stats and career were basic before he came here and had a great season and took us on a wild ride.  I have some slight hope that Sam will come here and not hurt our team until the new kid and replaces him.  Anything more than that will be a bonus.   
Nice to hear from you again Bezerker…! miss your hilarious game takes too!    :p

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
@kmillard said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@MaroonBells said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@Montana Tom said:
I mean he won the big one.

[Image: hzgcr9jdyf7x.gif]
And was a top pick who was considered a bust when the raiders picked him up for nothing.