Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trey Lance drawing 'interest' from other teams
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:

We probably don't make the playoffs with or without Cousins this upcoming season...why would you not move him now to the highest bidder? 
This one statement is the reason you and Jimmy think the things you think. And I don't agree with it at all.

Why don't we make the playoffs? Because the Packers are so good? The Lions? Because Cousins won't improve at all in year two of the offense? Because we lost Thielen? Kendricks? Because we replaced Peterson with Murphy? Added Davenport? Replaced Donatell with Flores? Because we get Cine, Evans and Booth back?

Look, I'm not expecting Flores to turn the Vikings into the '85 Bears, but a middling defense makes this a completely different team. So yeah, add an impact player from the draft on either side of the ball, maybe one more free agent, and I think the odds of the Vikings making the playoffs in '23 are pretty decent actually. 
I think we'll clearly be contending for the playoffs.  It's more a matter of if we have reasonable hope of making a SB run, which I think a lot of things would have to go right for that to happen.  While we got rid of some well loved players, our defense was horrible last year.  If our defense is also horrible this year, and our offense stays the same, then I don't see any reason we wouldn't perform about the same as last year.  The only thing I think that could really submarine our season is if Jefferson and probably another key offensive player had a major injury.  Our record was inflated last year over what we probably deserved, but I still think that would only drop us down to middle of the road.  But the Lions lost their receiving corp.  The Packers are a mess, maybe if they get Rodgers back and he plays like he wants to be there.  The Bears are always a mess.

You do this trade? Vikings end up with Lance, a 2nd rounder, a second 3rd rounder, a second 6th rounder. and give up their 1st rounder, Nick Mullens and a future 4th rounder. It seems solid for the Vikings until you consider the 49ers are essentially getting a 1st round pick for Trey Lance and a couple day-two picks. 

https://twitter.com/PurpleForTheWin/stat...80290?s=20
nope,  the biggest attraction of a young QB ( they will all have a learning curve ) is the 3 to 4 years of cheap contract to work with to build a team around them once they hit their primes or near prime playing years,   Lance only has one of those left so I am not giving up a first for a guy that should have never been drafted in the first round to begin with.

Quote: @medaille said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:

We probably don't make the playoffs with or without Cousins this upcoming season...why would you not move him now to the highest bidder? 
This one statement is the reason you and Jimmy think the things you think. And I don't agree with it at all.

Why don't we make the playoffs? Because the Packers are so good? The Lions? Because Cousins won't improve at all in year two of the offense? Because we lost Thielen? Kendricks? Because we replaced Peterson with Murphy? Added Davenport? Replaced Donatell with Flores? Because we get Cine, Evans and Booth back?

Look, I'm not expecting Flores to turn the Vikings into the '85 Bears, but a middling defense makes this a completely different team. So yeah, add an impact player from the draft on either side of the ball, maybe one more free agent, and I think the odds of the Vikings making the playoffs in '23 are pretty decent actually. 
I think we'll clearly be contending for the playoffs.  It's more a matter of if we have reasonable hope of making a SB run, which I think a lot of things would have to go right for that to happen.  While we got rid of some well loved players, our defense was horrible last year.  If our defense is also horrible this year, and our offense stays the same, then I don't see any reason we wouldn't perform about the same as last year.  The only thing I think that could really submarine our season is if Jefferson and probably another key offensive player had a major injury.  Our record was inflated last year over what we probably deserved, but I still think that would only drop us down to middle of the road.  But the Lions lost their receiving corp.  The Packers are a mess, maybe if they get Rodgers back and he plays like he wants to be there.  The Bears are always a mess.

for the record,  I think we contend for the North,   but we arent really a SB contending team at this point, and not likely after the draft either.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
You do this trade? Vikings end up with Lance, a 2nd rounder, a second 3rd rounder, a second 6th rounder. and give up their 1st rounder, Nick Mullens and a future 4th rounder. It seems solid for the Vikings until you consider the 49ers are essentially getting a 1st round pick for Trey Lance and a couple day-two picks. 

https://twitter.com/PurpleForTheWin/stat...80290?s=20
nope,  the biggest attraction of a young QB ( they will all have a learning curve ) is the 3 to 4 years of cheap contract to work with to build a team around them once they hit their primes or near prime playing years,   Lance only has one of those left so I am not giving up a first for a guy that should have never been drafted in the first round to begin with.
Nope from me too...

No way they get a #1 from me, even a later one. Too many questions on the kid now. 

@supafreak84 said:

We probably don't make the playoffs because we weren't better than Philly, Dallas, San Francisco, and the Giants last season and you could argue that despite a worse record Detroit was the better team in our own division last year. The Lions and Bears will both be much better this year and Green Bay is wait and see. We have massive roster holes yet to fill and could use upgrades at every level of the defense. But the biggest reason we won't be as good is that we were extremely lucky on the injury front and expecting that to happen again in todays NFL is a tough ask. I also think probably half of those one score or miracle games we won last season likely won't happen two years in a row. I think realistically we are an 8 or 9 win team this year with Kirk Cousins, so I just don't see the logic in continuing to play the contract/money shell game with him if he is a tradable commodity right now. 

But you are right, at the core that is the big difference in how we see the shaping of this roster..

https://www.inforum.com/sports/pro/49ers...trey-lance
SANTA CLARA — John Lynch’s pre-draft press conference Monday revolved more so around the 49ers’ trade market.
What is Trey Lance’s fate? Is Brandon Aiyuk staying put? Heck, what about Nick Bosa?
Lynch
did not openly endorse trading away Lance, the former North Dakota
State quarterback, or Aiyuk. Nor did the 49ers’ general manager deny
that a substantial offer could sway them to deal Lance, a still-raw
quarterback who was drafted No. 3 overall in 2021.
“There’s a lot
of smoke, really. It hasn’t been extremely active,” Lynch said. “It’s
not like we put it out there, ‘Hey, we’re taking offers for Trey.’ ”
When
asked Saturday about trade rumors, Lance told Mike McFeely of
InForum.com he had “no information” on that. Lynch, however, said
Monday: “Trey and I have talked. He knows exactly what the situation
is.”

The situation: Brock Purdy essentially overtook Lance and Jimmy
Garoppolo for the starting role by winning eight games last season,
before tearing an elbow ligament in the 49ers’ NFC Championship Game
loss.
Purdy is six weeks removed from elbow surgery — ” He’s
definitely on schedule and hitting all the checkpoints,” Lynch said — so
he is six weeks away from throwing footballs. Until he’s healthy, Lance
is the best man on campus to run the offense in the offseason program,
although veteran Sam Darnold joined the mix last month.
“I expect
Trey to be here. We’re excited about Trey’s ability to compete and what
he can do for our franchise,” Lynch added. “The only thing that’s
changed this offseason is Trey has gone and got himself healthy.”
Lance
has started four games (2-2) and played in eight. His ankle injury, in
last season’s home opener, came on just the 262nd snap of his career. He
said his right ankle gained full clearance last month, as he said
Saturday watching his alma mater, North Dakota State, and his younger
brother, Bryce, in their final spring practice.
“Last year I
played the one game in Chicago and then got hurt, so it was kind of over
before it even got started. But I am just excited for this year,” Lance
told Inforum.com. “This offseason, just focusing on getting better.
Focusing on getting these guys better in the locker room and just being a
great teammate, a great leader.”
Two years ago, the 49ers
selected Lance after trading up to No. 3 overall, sending first-round
picks in 2021-23 to the Miami Dolphins, along with a 2022 third-rounder.
Lynch’s
most definitive answer came in shooting down the wild notion Bosa might
be shopped, rather than being extended the NFL’s richest contract ever
for a non-quarterback, with that deal expected in late July.
“That hotline is closed. That never opened,” Lynch said of a Bosa trade.

Aiyuk is one of Lance’s closest teammates, and after his first
1,000-yard season, the 49ers have yet to announce if they'll use the
2024 fifth-year option for him or fellow 2020 first-rounder Javon
Kinlaw. The bigger decision could come in 2024 when Deebo Samuel’s
salary ballons to $21 million; Aiyuk’s fifth-year option could be in the
$14 million range.
“We’re trying to do something special this
year and Brandon is going to be a big part of that, and beyond, as
well,” Lynch said. “We’re really excited about Brandon. He took a big
step last year and the best is yet to come.”
The biggest step any
49ers’ player has taken in this regime’s six-year history was that of
Bosa, their 2019 No. 2 overall selection who won NFL Defensive Player of
the Year honors last season. He’s slated to make $18 million this year,
but an extension should ensure an annual salary of over $30 million.
“I’ve
stated many times that (Bosa extension) is a priority for this
offseason,” Lynch said. “History says we have a really good track record
doing that and making that come to fruition.”
Spending so much
money on non-quarterbacks is the 49ers’ working business model, and that
works against any idea they’d make a move for Lamar Jackson, the
Baltimore Ravens’ franchise-tagged quarterback.
“We seem to be
linked to everything,” Lynch said of any Jackson interest. “I can tell
you how convicted we are on Brock and this group of guys.”