Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trey Lance drawing 'interest' from other teams
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/trey-...er-report/

No doubt, but what would the comp be? 

B.S.  The team is fueling the rumors and hoping some fool g.m. will take the bait and get them out from under the pile of manure they created by spending huge draft capital on a bust.

Quote: @comet52 said:
B.S.  The team is fueling the rumors and hoping some fool g.m. will take the bait and get them out from under the pile of manure they created by spending huge draft capital on a bust.
I actually think some teams could be asking, but that doesn't mean they are interested beyond compensation they are comfortable with. I'm not even sure what the 49ers would get. I think NFL GMs do a lot more exploratory discussions about players with other GMs than most fans realize, but most does not come to fruition. 

There are a lot of qb needy teams so it makes sense 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@comet52 said:
I actually think some teams could be asking, but that doesn't mean they are interested beyond compensation they are comfortable with. I'm not even sure what the 49ers would get. I think NFL GMs do a lot more exploratory discussions about players with other GMs than most fans realize, but most does not come to fruition. 
I don't see any scenario where the 49ers aren't getting a quarterback in return on any Lance trade. They have to, unless they are rolling with Sam Darnold as their starter next year with Purdy likely out for perhaps a majority of the year. I don't see that happening on an otherwise Super Bowl ready team.

I don't see why the 49ers would be in a hurry to unload Lance given he has a rookie contract, is young and they spent a lot of draft capital to get him. Unless they are offered significant draft/player compensation, why unload him?

Quote: @PurplePastor said:
I don't see why the 49ers would be in a hurry to unload Lance given he has a rookie contract, is young and they spent a lot of draft capital to get him. Unless they are offered significant draft/player compensation, why unload him?
Yep, to me that's probably why it won't happen: 49ers don't need to and other teams won't give up what San Fran would want to do it now. 

Pro Football Talk is reporting that the Vikings did talk to the 49ers at the Combine regarding the availability of Trey Lance.

I can only assume that the 49ers hit the Vikings up about Cousins and Trey Lance was part of those trade discussions, which shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody. I'm guessing the Vikings wanted to see how the draft played out as making a trade at that point would have been premature. This doesn't mean as the draft gets closer, conversations couldn't start again once the QB picture becomes clearer in the draft. I still contend it would make sense for both teams 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/...cing-again

A lot of moving pieces, but this is the best breakdown on a potential trade that I've read 

A GM widely praised around the league for building an
exceptional team via the draft is looking to move a QB he gave up 3 first round
picks and 1 third round pick to get, just two seasons ago. Why would the niners
make that trade unless someone offers something stupid? Something stupid starts
with recouping a first-round pick. A head coach widely praised as an offensive
guru is looking to pivot from said QB after he’s made just 4 starts. And
largely based on 5 starts from another young QB.  A QB likely to miss most
of, if not the entire season.

A combined cap of just over $15 million for the 3 QB's
currently on the roster. So, it’s not a money issue. The team was so worried
about Lance that they gave serious thought to hiring the QB guru they sent him
to both off-season's. Who had no NFL coaching experience, as their QB
coach.  Windows to win in the NFL are increasingly small and SF is built
to win. Rolling into 2023 with Sam Darnold as the guy taking most of the snaps.
God knows who as the backup. While gambling the season on a QB with 5 starts
coming off a major injury to maintain their level of play last year,
 doesn't reek of win now.