Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well now we need a back up RB
If weed is so harmless, why can't these guys stop smoking it?  Not meant to be snarky; genuine question.  

Quote: @holmanjp said:
@pumpf said:
@Purplewhizz said:
@purplefaithful said:
What a dumb asz...

According to reports, law enforcement officers executed a search warrant at his apartment on Jan. 16 and found multiple glass jars containing marijuana and marijuana wax. The jars contained more than three times the amount of marijuana needed for a felony charge. The jars were found in the living room and bedroom of the apartment.Thomas could be facing up to five years in prison. Even if he is acquitted or pleads guilty to lesser charges, the NFL disciplinary rules regarding controlled substances could lead to a suspension for Thomas. That suspension would stay with Thomas if the Vikings released him and he joined another team.

Officers were led to search the apartment after the building’s manager reportedly received complaints about the smell of marijuana coming from his apartment. Thomas reportedly told officers that he knew of the complaints.
He doesn’t sound too bright, does he?  If he knew about neighbors complaining, you’d think he’d have maybe cracked a window or something.  Sounds like they were smoking tons of the stuff.  
Your last comment is the answer to your initial question.
They found 5 ounces, $500 worth of weed.

Now MN tax payers can dish out how much for is room and board for 5 years in prison.
He would/could have earned 3-5 mill over next 5 years. How much is that, in lost State income taxes alone???

All over a plant that grows in the wild.

One less person that might bump into someone while walking to 7-11 for more Cheetos.
The side walks are now safe.

He'll serve more time for having weed than Paul Manafort will for felony tax evasion charges in the tens of millions .... think about that.

Quote: @Purple Haze said:
If Hill was at the apartment you can bet he wasnt there to talk to Roc about what is going to happen if he get s caught.  If it is true he was there, then it looks like the vikes will be without a DB for the first 4 games as well.  I can't imagine he won't be tested ASAP.
It's 100% true, he's listed on the formal police report. 

Quote: @pumpf said:
If weed is so harmless, why can't these guys stop smoking it?  Not meant to be snarky; genuine question.  
Mental health issues?  There's a reason neither of them were drafted, and perhaps teams did thorough background checks.

Quote: @pumpf said:
I know it's not a popular take (like that matters), but I don't think we've fully realized the long-term impact that smoking weed has on people.  That's why I favor keeping it illegal.  We already know SOME of the negative side effects.  And, thanks to all kinds of supporters, we also know the positive effects (as a pain killer, among other things).  I guess- for me- one of the reasons for keeping it illegal is demonstrated in this episode: a guy was willing to put his lucrative career in jeopardy... over this?  It makes me think that there must be some kind of addictive dynamic in place (whether it be chemical or mental), such that he would willingly risk losing his job over it.  To me... that only makes sense when an addiction is involved. 

Of course, people can become addicted to alot of things; that- in and of itself- is not a reason to make it illegal.  But it should- at least- give us pause. 
Pumpf makes a good point.  Flauting the contract show that he put need above caution.  And that may point to a problem.  Or it could just be a talented young athlete who has always been given special consideration becuse of that talent and now that entitlement has become just assumed.  Either way, not good for long term sucess.

But i also agree, for what its worth, that losing a career over this is way too harsh.  I dont smoke or use or even drink ( I know, boring,huh?) so I  have no dog in the fight but I hope the league uses common sense.

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
Still don't get it. Are some assuming he was dealing? If he had only the weed it doesn't mean he was. He if he had only the cash and the guns it certainly doesn't. Put all 3 together it means more? Could just be a stupid image thing that I can't understand.
He screwed up. It will cost him. Now Hill is in this mess too. We have enough going on without speculating it's even more nefarious.
Actually the weed in itself wether he was dealing or not will get him a felony because according to the law if you are in possesion of more than 1 oz its no longer just simple possesion, the charge then becomes possesion with intent to deliver whether that was the intention or not.  Then throw in the gun and it becomes possesion of a fire arm while commiting a felony.  I know that used to bring a mandatory 5 years.  The cash really meaningless other than it is just additional proof that his intent was to deliver.  This guy is screwed.  Maybe he and the dumbass from the Cowboys that just told the NFL to F- Off so he could smoke weed share an apartment in the future because neither of them will ever see another dime from playing football.

Quote: @Caactorvike said:
@pumpf said:
I know it's not a popular take (like that matters), but I don't think we've fully realized the long-term impact that smoking weed has on people.  That's why I favor keeping it illegal.  We already know SOME of the negative side effects.  And, thanks to all kinds of supporters, we also know the positive effects (as a pain killer, among other things).  I guess- for me- one of the reasons for keeping it illegal is demonstrated in this episode: a guy was willing to put his lucrative career in jeopardy... over this?  It makes me think that there must be some kind of addictive dynamic in place (whether it be chemical or mental), such that he would willingly risk losing his job over it.  To me... that only makes sense when an addiction is involved. 

Of course, people can become addicted to alot of things; that- in and of itself- is not a reason to make it illegal.  But it should- at least- give us pause. 
Pumpf makes a good point.  Flauting the contract show that he put need above caution.  And that may point to a problem.  Or it could just be a talented young athlete who has always been given special consideration becuse of that talent and now that entitlement has become just assumed.  Either way, not good for long term sucess.

But i also agree, for what its worth, that losing a career over this is way too harsh.  I dont smoke or use or even drink ( I know, boring,huh?) so I  have no dog in the fight but I hope the league uses common sense.
C'mon... you're a Hollywood guy!  You MUST do all of those things... right?   :p
You're never gonna get ahead that way, CA!   Smile

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
It's kind of funny how the media filters out a few key pieces of information. 

1) Roc Thomas also had over $15K of cash in the apartment along with a handgun 
2) Holton Hill was also there when they issued the warrant and searched the apartment (although he has not been charged) 
Probably because #1 is an insinuation of a connection between the three that the media should not be making. I'm sure several of us have cash and handguns in our homes. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
It's kind of funny how the media filters out a few key pieces of information. 

1) Roc Thomas also had over $15K of cash in the apartment along with a handgun 
2) Holton Hill was also there when they issued the warrant and searched the apartment (although he has not been charged) 
Probably because #1 is an insinuation of a connection between the three that the media should not be making. I'm sure several of us have cash and handguns in our homes. 
You'd have to think if the police confiscated the cash & weapon it would be more than an insinuation though, right? 

Quote: @Purple Haze said:
@suncoastvike said:
Still don't get it. Are some assuming he was dealing? If he had only the weed it doesn't mean he was. He if he had only the cash and the guns it certainly doesn't. Put all 3 together it means more? Could just be a stupid image thing that I can't understand.
He screwed up. It will cost him. Now Hill is in this mess too. We have enough going on without speculating it's even more nefarious.
Actually the weed in itself wether he was dealing or not will get him a felony because according to the law if you are in possesion of more than 1 oz its no longer just simple possesion, the charge then becomes possesion with intent to deliver whether that was the intention or not.  Then throw in the gun and it becomes possesion of a fire arm while commiting a felony.  I know that used to bring a mandatory 5 years.  The cash really meaningless other than it is just additional proof that his intent was to deliver.  This guy is screwed.  Maybe he and the dumbass from the Cowboys that just told the NFL to F- Off so he could smoke weed share an apartment in the future because neither of them will ever see another dime from playing football.
I hear you. More of them damn mandatory minimums I'm so fond of.. The man has the means to have that much weed so the fact he also owns a gun ties it all nicely together for a State Atty. Whether it's the truth or not doesn't matter in the sentence. It becomes the facts of the case. I'm not even a gun fan but sure do hate these kinds of stupid...imo min gun sentences. All it says since he has the means to own this much weed and have that much cash these facts are irrelevant because he had a gun. In his own residence no less. I hope not for his sake.