Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So who's going to be the new OC?
Quote: @Jor-El said:
@matt4787 said:
I am going to throw a name out there. Joe Lombardi. He has been an OC before. Currently qb coach for Saints. But if Vikes want to make a play for Brees which is a unique opportunity and we all know how Speilman loves unique opportunities. Brees has at minimum 2 good seasons left in my opinion. Arm strength could go some but the fortunate thing is he didn’t become great because of his arm strength. Vikes can draft a guy and also focus on developing Sloter. I know we are all tired of renting vets but Keenum and Bridgewater has not had enough sample size to say they are franchise qbs. And Bradford has but his knees are highly questionable. He has been injury prone his whole career too. Why not go for the homerun? Would anyone say that Brees is not our best option for next season?
Yes, I would say Brees is not our best option. I think his arm strength has already declined and the drop probably won't proceed gradually. He showed diminished ability during the regular season and in the playoffs (Sendejo INT was badly underthrown). If NO lets him leave it will mean they see he is about to crash. And I do think he depends on arm strength - even his college scouting reports all said he was a big-armed QB in a short body.
And....I know this will discolor my preceding points, but I think Brees is a POS who certainly knew about Bountygate and I wouldn't watch Vikings games if he was our QB.

Yah, Brees' skills looked diminished vs Vikings Wink

I am intrigued with Ryan. He's had a lot of success with both WR's and QB's between the Giants and Texans. But the lack of play calling experience is still a hurdle to get over. If you're going to take that jump with Ryan, why not promote Stefanski internally? 

Perhaps Stefanski is a known factor and they aren't comfortable with him.

i dont really care so much about who... as what they will want.  I dont want to see our OL have to be "remade" again because new guy wants to change our blocking scheme and these guys dont work.   yes we need to add a few pieces to our OL, but they look pretty good at what they are doing so keep with it.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
i dont really care so much about who... as what they will want.  I dont want to see our OL have to be "remade" again because new guy wants to change our blocking scheme and these guys dont work.   yes we need to add a few pieces to our OL, but they look pretty good at what they are doing so keep with it.
Amen - the Vikings' OL looked the most competent in 2017 since Todd Steussie left, keeping the progress moving is a huge key. But the biggest thing may be that we had our best LT since then in Reiff. IMO when your LT sucks, the rest of your line suffers trying to compensate.

Sounds like if Stefanski doesn't get the OC position in MN he may end up following Shurmur to the Giants. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
Sounds like if Stefanski doesn't get the OC position in MN he may end up following Shurmur to the Giants. 
And he should. Much more high profile for an upwardly mobile and ambitious young coach. 

I'm assuming you mean as Shurmer's OC?  I wonder if Pat would let him be the play caller.

I am intrigued with Ryan. He's had a lot of success with both WR's and QB's between the Giants and Texans. But the lack of play calling experience is still a hurdle to get over. If you're going to take that jump with Ryan, why not promote Stefanski internally? 
At first blush, I would agree. But it makes me wonder about the RPO--the Run/Pass option. Unlike the Wildcat, this seems to be getting a lot of raves around the NFL. Some have called it indefensible (ya, I know). DeShaun Watson used it a lot and it was a big reason for his success. Might the Vikings want to find an OC who has experience with it? Pure speculation, but if so, what would it mean about our QB. It often puts the QB in a vulnerable position. A bad place for QBs with bad knees. But it's something that I think Case could do fairly well. 

One other thing, as a lot of us have said, there's a big difference between being able to design an offense and understanding the "dance" that is effective play calling. Neither Stefanski or Ryan has done it (that I'm aware), but it sounds like that is what Ryan wants. O'Brien's a smart guy. If he thinks Ryan has a "real bright future" in this league, color me intrigued. 

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
I'm assuming you mean as Shurmer's OC?  I wonder if Pat would let him be the play caller.
Shurmur is going to call plays.