Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Griff working out for the Vikes tomorrow
Griffen, 33, was selected by Minnesota in the fourth round of the 2010 NFL draft and spent a decade with the Vikings. From 2010 to '19, Griffen totaled 74.5 sacks, which ranks seventh in franchise history. He was named a Pro Bowler four times in Minnesota, including three straight seasons from 2015 to '17.
In February 2020, Griffen opted out of his contract and became a free agent. He signed a one-year deal with the Dallas Cowboys in August 2020 and was traded to the Detroit Lions two months later. In 14 games last season, Griffen registered six sacks, 33 tackles (seven for loss) and 14 quarterback hits.
Griffen said he was waiting for the "right fit" as a free agent and noted how difficult last year was having to move his family from Minnesota to Dallas to Detroit in the middle of a pandemic. His familiarity with the Vikings' scheme and close relationship with players like Danielle Hunter and defensive line coach Andre Patterson drew him back to Minnesota.
"Honestly, I wanted to be here," Griffen said. "I really wanted to be here. I felt like this was the best fit for me throughout the whole league. I really wanted to be here and I'm excited to be back. I'm just happy that things worked out the way they did and they welcomed me back with open arms."
As Griffen reflected on why he left Minnesota instead of taking a pay cut after opting out of his previous deal, the defensive end expressed regret with his decision.
"I left because I thought the grass was greener on the other side, to be honest, and it wasn't," Griffen said. "Going to Dallas, going to Detroit, the grass wasn't greener. I didn't get the love that I got here with the fans, with the coaches, with the players and the grass wasn't greener. I learned I'm back home and I'm happy to be home. I should have stayed last year, to be honest. Where people love me, where the fans love me, where you guys love me. I should have stayed but I worked hard. I made sure that I was productive enough. I should have stayed but I'm happy to be back."
One of Minnesota's top position questions in training camp is determining who will start opposite Hunter at defensive end. Stephen Weatherly and D.J. Wonnum have been the front-runners throughout the preseason, but the team left the door open for more competition at that spot when it brought in Griffen for a workout last week.
Wearing an unfamiliar No. 58, which he noted was a "little bit" weird, Griffen was at practice Monday and participated in light individual work. Coach Mike Zimmer said Monday that the Vikings plan to use Griffen as a "situational" pass-rusher. Griffen said he'll play "wherever they want me."
"If I didn't think he could help us, we wouldn't sign him," Zimmer said.
Griffen met with Vikings brass last week following his workout to confirm, "that my head was in it. That I'm in a good place." The defensive end took a month-long hiatus during the 2018 season to focus on his health and wellbeing after the Vikings ordered him to undergo a mental health evaluation and two separate incidents involving police authorities led to him being hospitalized.
Griffen opened up about his struggles last year and told NFL Network that he lived in a sober house for three months beginning in Oct. 2018.
Earlier this offseason, Griffen composed a handful of insulting tweets where he called Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins "ass" and claimed that Zimmer never wanted to sign the QB. The defensive end said he planned to speak to Cousins and apologize.
"I haven't really talked to him yet but I'm going to get around to doing that," Griffen said. "Apologize to him, apologize to Coach Zimmer, [general manager] Rick [Spielman] about what I said. I take full ownership in that. I've still got to talk to Kirk and apologize to him about that."

Re-signing Everson Griffen is a quintessential Vikings moveThere are risks to signing Everson Griffen, and his return is as fraught with drama as just about everything else that has happened to the Vikings since the start of camp.

In the midst of a worrisome and divisive training camp, the Minnesota Vikings on Monday made a quintessential Minnesota Vikings move, one that could fairly be described as worrisome and could increase the divisiveness on a team that can't even agree on the efficacy of vaccines.
The Vikings signed former Vikings star Everson Griffen less than three weeks before the beginning of the regular season, a decision that is remindful of so much of team history because of the incoming personality, the personal history, the attempt to recapture past glory, and a willingness to try just about anything to win right now.
And yet, I like the decision. Griffen knows the defense; remains close with assistant head coach Andre Patterson and some of his old/new teammates; always gives maximum effort; and might have enough athletic explosiveness left to be able to help in bursts.
But there are risks to signing Griffen, and his return is as fraught with drama as just about everything else that has happened to the Vikings since the start of camp.
First of all, Griffen isn't afraid to speak his mind. Or scream it. When he played at a mostly empty U.S. Bank Stadium last year as a member of the Lions, you could hear Griffen holler constantly from the sideline. NFL teams tend to accept outspokenness from stars, but not from reserves and role players. Chris Kluwe might still be the Vikings punter had he not made himself a persistent spokesman for whatever entered his mind, even though his stances were admirable.
The Griffen signing is also remindful of past Vikings attempts to prove that former players can go home again.
They traded Chris Doleman in his prime over a contract dispute, then Denny Green brought him back in 1999 and Doleman had eight sacks in 14 games. This is the best-case hope for the Vikings: that Griffen can play a limited role but provide large dividends.
They traded Randy Moss in his prime and traded to bring him back in 2010. He caught 13 of 25 targets for 174 yards and two touchdowns in four games, then talked his way out of the organization by praising the Patriots after the Vikings lost to New England. This is the worst-case for the Vikings: that Griffen proves to be more problematic than productive.
Here's why that is a concern:
In January, Griffen tweeted about coach Mike Zimmer and quarterback Kirk Cousins: "Ask ZIMMER if he wanted Kirk?????" followed by "He will tell you the truth??? Who wanted Kirk Cousins???? Take your guess???"
Later, Griffen tweeted an apology and expressed his love for the Vikings.
His insinuation stands: Griffen seems to believe that General Manager Rick Spielman forced Cousins on Zimmer. Griffen also does not seem to be a fan of Cousins.
In other words, Griffen has a bright future as an NFL analyst.
It's possible that Griffen's true feelings about Cousins will never matter. Griffen and Cousins don't play in the NBA, where one ball hog can decide not to pass to another. They will never be on the field at the same time and don't have to work together in any way. When they are in a meeting room together, they will be listening to Zimmer along with 50-plus teammates.
But if this season doesn't go well, or Cousins performs poorly or costs the Vikings a game or a month or a season because he has refused to get vaccinated, Griffen's opinions will be remembered and resurrected.
Griffen's signing might also be a sign that the current Vikings brain trust has no interest in consulting Cousins on its roster decisions. When Tom Brady went to Tampa Bay, the Buccaneers signed his buddy Rob Gronkowski, who had announced his retirement, and repugnant receiver Antonio Brown, whom Bucs coach Bruce Arians had previously ruled out.
Great NFL quarterbacks possess influence, if not power. Cousins apparently possesses neither.
If the Vikings fail because of Cousins, there are probably a lot of people in the organization who wouldn't mind Griffen hitting resend on some old tweets.
https://www.startribune.com/vikings-ever...fresh=true

Quote: @GermanVike said:

Just gotta love his honesty, and he took the questions about Cousins absolutely in stride without any hesitation. Won't be an issue going forward. And he even might get his #97 back  B)

(did I understand it correctly that he wore #58 today in practice?  :o  Confused
I like that Griff's back too, and he seems happy to be back even with a lesser role.  I kind of hope he keeps the #58 now that he's a situational player, to be honest.  58 is less than 97, so it could help with his quickness.   Let that big guy in the middle carry around that big heavy #97. B)

Everson Griffen 'happy to be home' with Vikings, says he'll apologize for remarks made last seasonThrilled to be back for a second stint with the Vikings, Griffen said he'll seek out Kirk Cousins and Mike Zimmer for his harsh words. 'I take full ownership in that.'
While he was training for his 12th NFL season in hopes of landing a job for training camp, Everson Griffen bided his time near Lake Minnetonka, "just a dad at heart."

Between workouts, he would coach his 8-year-old son's football team, take boat trips with his family and drive his kids to different activities. "Just my normal routine," he said. "Taking naps here and there, working out and enjoying life."
Last week, the call he had wanted from the Vikings finally came, about a workout at the team's practice facility on Wednesday. That led to a long conversation between the four-time Pro Bowl selection and the team's decisionmakers, and on Monday, he got his opportunity to return to the team he said "feels like home."
The Vikings signed Griffen on Monday in a effort to bolster their pass rush, bringing back the defensive end that ranks fourth in team history in official sacks with 74½.
"Honestly, I wanted to be here. I really wanted to be here," he said. "I felt like this was the best fit for me throughout the whole league. I really wanted to be here and I'm excited to be back. I'm just happy that things worked out the way they did and they welcomed me back with open arms."
He could step into a battle for the starting right end spot with Stephen Weatherly and D.J. Wonnum as the Vikings try to find a productive option at defensive end opposite Danielle Hunter, though coach Mike Zimmer said either Weatherly or Wonnum would be the starter and Griffen would be a situational player.
"We kind of watched him [last year] but we weren't studying him. But he had six sacks," Zimmer said. "I think the way we rush would be more beneficial to him than the way he tried to do it last year. I think he probably recognizes that, as well."
Griffen opted out of his deal after the 2019 season. He had an offer to return to the Vikings before 2020, though he chose a one-year deal with Dallas and later faced the Vikings when he was traded to Detroit.
That meant moving his family three times — to Texas, then to Michigan and back to Minnesota for the offseason — during a pandemic. In the end, Griffen said, he realized he should have never left.
"I left because I thought the grass was greener on the other side, to be honest, and it wasn't," he said. "Going to Dallas, going to Detroit, the grass wasn't greener. I didn't get the love that I got here with the fans, with the coaches, with the players and the grass wasn't greener. I learned I'm back home and I'm happy to be home."
The process of getting there, though, demanded some frank conversations and might still require one more.
Quote:“I'm just going to talk to Kirk and apologize to him and have a man-to-man conversation and we're going to leave it like that.”
Everson Griffen
Last season, Griffen reacted sharply to Zimmer calling him a "good player," saying he deserved to be referred to in higher terms before the Lions' first matchup with the Vikings.
Days after the Vikings beat the Lions in the season finale, Griffen returned to the Twin Cities for the offseason and started talking about a return. But he also issued a series of critical tweets toward Kirk Cousins, suggesting Zimmer hadn't wanted the quarterback when the Vikings signed him in 2018. Griffen later apologized and deleted the tweets.
Zimmer said the Vikings had a long conversation with Griffen after he worked out Wednesday. The defensive end, who left the team for five games during the 2018 season to deal with mental health issues, said the team wanted to make sure "my head was in it. That I'm in a good place. Of course that's first and foremost. I think football will always take care of itself, and just know my role. If they want me [as] a situational player, I can do that. Wherever they want me, I can do it.
Said Zimmer: "I think it seems he's in a good place. You know, hopefully he continues to do that, and if he does, he can help us."
The defensive end said Monday he hadn't talked to Cousins yet, but "I'm going to get around to that. Apologize to him, apologize to Coach Zimmer, Rick [Spielman] about what I said. I take full ownership in that. I've still got to talk to Kirk and apologize to him about that. I'm just going to talk to Kirk and apologize to him and have a man-to-man conversation and we're going to leave it like that."
On Monday, he practiced wearing a No. 58 jersey without a nameplate, with Michael Pierce wearing Griffen's old No. 97. The number switch, he conceded was a bit strange, though Griffen said Pierce offered to give the number back to him.
The three weeks he has before the season, Griffen said, are enough for him to re-learn the Vikings defense and make a contribution to a unit that still has plenty of players he has known for years.
"Being back with Coach Dre, I love his drills. I never lost his technique," Griffen said, referring to assistant head coach Andre Patterson. "It's really good to see Danielle [Hunter]. I missed Danielle. I miss the guys that I watched grow up and to see the player that he is, he looks like Superman still. I'm right next to him in the locker room. It's just good catching up with him and seeing him. I'm excited to be back."
https://www.startribune.com/everson-grif...600090243/

Here's what I know: we'll get the best of what he has left in the tank. And if he's used situationally, its optimal. Good signing and he's very happy to be back.

Pierce is giving up #97 for Grif.

Dear Kook, I’m sorry you’re an ass, yours Griff… Wink B)  

Quote: @Kentis said:
Dear Kook, I’m sorry your an ass, yours Griff… Wink B)  
Kind of along the lines I was thinking too.  =)  Somehow I doubt Griff is too concerned what KC thinks of him.

[Image: BgCr4vnl_bigger.jpg]
Patterson: “I’m very comfortable with him, and he’s very comfortable with me. It’s just amazing, the recall he had with the drills that we do, how he could do it full-speed, execute them correctly, after being a year away.”
Show this thread
[Image: BgCr4vnl_bigger.jpg]
#Vikings assistant coach Andre Patterson on having Everson Griffen back: “I made the comment to [assistant defensive line coach] Imarjaye [Albury], it was like having my binky back.”

Ultimately I think this is a good move. He provides a need, although not as good as he used to be he's better than our other options at this point. Also, it's a perfect fit for team & player. The Vikings have a great support system and have done extremely well and been at the forefront when it comes to player mental health. And the Vikings benefit by getting someone familiar with the team and an upgrade or boost to what they have now.